Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed (formerly Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon)

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Re: [EDH] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

- Kagemaro, First to Suffer

+ Cursed Totem

Kagemaro, First to Suffer was bad. The only times he was useful was once when I drew so many cards that I had another board sweeper anyway and once when he was my second creature so I could lock everyone out with Portcullis.

Cursed Totem is an amazing card that only locks down Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon's haste and regeneration abilities, and Nirkana Revenant's pump ability in my deck (if I cut Crapemaro). It shuts off numerous high value creatures and generals entirely.

Updated first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

- Sword of Feast and Famine

+ Spreading Plague

With the ever-shrinking number of creatures in the deck, Sword of Feast and Famine was becoming worse and worse. It wasn't worth tutoring for to turn Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon into a two-hit kill when I can get Nightmare Lash or Lashwrithe to one-hit kill people.

Spreading Plague is an obnoxious card for any creature-based deck to play against. Your opponents do all the work for you using their creatures to kill each other's creatures. With Spreading Plague out, it's difficult for anyone to mount an assault against you, especially post board-sweeper.

Updated first post.
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Oh man, Spreading Plague is sweet tech! Nice find. Definitely gonna jam one in my list. How well has the deck been working for you?
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Oh man, Spreading Plague is sweet tech! Nice find. Definitely gonna jam one in my list. How well has the deck been working for you?
    Yeah, my one friend was running it in his Thraximundar list. I was playing with another friend's Mayael the Anima deck and getting wrecked by Spreading Plague. At first I was mad, but then I thought, "Why aren't I running this in Skithiryx?"

The deck has been working pretty well since I did the major overhaul and my group moved away from top-tier combo decks towards creature-based decks. I don't dominate my playgroup with it, but it wins its share of games. It's still my favorite EDH deck I've ever built, and it's such a blast to play. I've been letting another friend borrow it recently and he loves playing with it too.
    Last edited by Kuma; 01-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Gatecrash changes:

- Bojuka Bog
    - Pithing Needle

+ Crypt Ghast
    + Thespian's Stage

Thespian's Stage is going to be amazing in this deck. It's like running another Cabal Coffers that can be a Swamp early on. If someone plays an awesome land like Maze of Ith, I can have one as well. It also acts like a linited Wasteland on legendary lands. What more could I ask for out of a land? Crypt Ghast is another amazing piece of mana ramp that doubles as life gain. I wish it wasn't a creature, but it's still easily worth running.

Almost every time I drew Bojuka Bog I wished it was a Swamp. My meta is really light on graveyard decks right now and I have other graveyard hate if I need it. Pithing Needle was pretty weak ever since the Arcum Dagsson deck was taken apart. It's probably better than Mimic Vat, but I want to test that a little more.

Also, I'm going to try:

- Vedalken Orerry

+ Glacial Chasm

Vedalken Orerry has done zilch for me since I added it. I kind of wanted to test it a little more, but it's the easiest cut for anything new. I can't imagine why I wasn't running Glacial Chasm before. I run Crucible of Worlds, and the life payments aren't that bad. In a pinch, I can tutor for it and possibly survive several more turns. I think it's worth a test at least.

Cards on the bubble:

Mimic Vat

Updated first post.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

- Mutilate
    - Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
    - Glacial Chasm
    - Animate Dead

+ Black Market
    + Meekstone
    + Ensnaring Bridge
    + No Mercy

I wish I could quit No Mercy. It always seems to backfire spectacularly, yet I keep putting it back in to see if it'll keep damage off me. I'm giving it another try, but it'll probably end up becoming Sculpting Steel or Ward of Bones. I can't believe I never considered Meekstone and Ensnaring Bridge before. Neither plays nice with Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, but they also don't play nice with many of my opponents' entire decks. I put Black Market in just to give it a try and I loved it. It usually ate removal or made me at least two to three mana every turn.

Mutilate hadn't been getting it done for a while. It was fine back when I didn't need to kill things bigger than 4/4, but it's too unreliable right now. I never tutored for Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed, nor was I ever happy to see it in my hand. The corner cases it got me out of never seemed to come up. Animate Dead was okay sometimes, but most games I didn't find myself needing to animate something. Mimic Vat is much better at taking advantage of all the creatures I kill. I cut Glacial Chasm because Ensnaring Bridge does its job without costing me a land and has the added bonus of keeping Eldrazi and Blightsteel Colossus off me. It might find its way back in if I decide I need more of that effect.

Updated first post.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I haven't played this deck, but it seems like if it's worth putting in pieces that operate in opposition to your commander, maybe your commander is wrong? Your playgroup is I believe a bit more savage than mine, so maybe there's something I'm missing, or maybe you can count on someone nixing all the artifacts and then you can play to your "third threat" plan, I dunno.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I haven't played this deck, but it seems like if it's worth putting in pieces that operate in opposition to your commander, maybe your commander is wrong? Your playgroup is I believe a bit more savage than mine, so maybe there's something I'm missing, or maybe you can count on someone nixing all the artifacts and then you can play to your "third threat" plan, I dunno.
    There really aren't better options in mono-black. Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed is the next best option (obviously I'd replace Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe with Corpse Dance and Profane Command), but he isn't even strong enough to be in the deck and I'm not sure how often I'd take advantage of the options he provides. It's like I said earlier. If I don't want Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed in my hand and I never tutor for him, why would I want him as my general?

I maybe win 5% of my games on the back of Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, making the cards that operate in opposition to him only marginally annoying. If I'm going to try to win with Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, I don't have to play cards like Ensnaring Bridge. Sometimes, my general is "Wall of Skithiryx" and that's useful too.

Wizards could certainly print a general that's better for this deck than Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, but I don't think they have yet. If you've got any ideas about who should be the general, let me know.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    There really aren't better options in mono-black. Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed is the next best option (obviously I'd replace Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe with Corpse Dance and Profane Command), but he isn't even strong enough to be in the deck and I'm not sure how often I'd take advantage of the options he provides. It's like I said earlier. If I don't want Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed in my hand and I never tutor for him, why would I want him as my general?

I maybe win 5% of my games on the back of Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, making the cards that operate in opposition to him only marginally annoying. If I'm going to try to win with Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, I don't have to play cards like Ensnaring Bridge. Sometimes, my general is "Wall of Skithiryx" and that's useful too.

Wizards could certainly print a general that's better for this deck than Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, but I don't think they have yet. If you've got any ideas about who should be the general, let me know.
    Oh I dunno. Am I a huge troll if I suggest Maga, Traitor to Mortals? :/ It's the same problem but different anyway. I dunno. Maybe don't listen to me.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Oh I dunno. Am I a huge troll if I suggest Maga, Traitor to Mortals? :/ It's the same problem but different anyway. I dunno. Maybe don't listen to me.
    There's always Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief as an option for the general slot. She plays well in a control style shell, and is repeatable removal. She's not as resilient as Skittles since she can't regenerate, but sometimes I find that people feel less threatened by her. Also, she works quite well with Black Market and the other mana doubling effects.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

No man, why would you be a troll? It's a reasonable suggestion. Maga, Traitor to Mortals would give me a good outlet for infinite mana, but mono-black Oona, Queen of the Fae would probably be better at that point. I also haven't had any problems winning with infinite mana since I added Increasing Ambition and Diabolic Revelation to the deck. I use one of my turns to go tutor -> Increasing Ambition -> combo piece, or just pay an extra to get an outlet for the infinite mana with Diabolic Revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    There's always Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief as an option for the general slot. She plays well in a control style shell, and is repeatable removal. She's not as resilient as Skittles since she can't regenerate, but sometimes I find that people feel less threatened by her. Also, she works quite well with Black Market and the other mana doubling effects.
    Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief lets me kill all creatures forever with infinite mana, and if there's a creature in play I can use her to kill someone with infinite mana, but like Maga, Traitor to Mortals, she doesn't give the deck something it really needs.

I'm going to try using Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed as the general at my weekly EDH group tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm also going to try out Lethal Vapors and Necropotence.

Xiahou Dun is an alternative to Skithiryx if you wanted to emphasize the control element of the deck although you do become more vulnerable to graveyard hate, YMMV. Realistically, though, he seems like the only black general that offers up anything new or powerful.

Good to see you trying out Necro. It's always been good for me and equally bad for my opponents. Have you tried out the black Myojin? It's a great card to drop into play early and you don't don't mind if it gets Bribery-ed, stolen or even if there is a Torpor Orb in play. Similarly, I also like Army of the Damned. The Flashback really pushes it over the top. It also makes it pretty easy to one-shot someone off the boosts from Gauntlet or Caged Sun. I'm fond of these types of cards: low risk and high reward. I like jamming haymakers that even if they get dealt with you shrug and go about your business.

Another card I've been wanting to test with for awhile is Massacre Wurm. Kills tokens, utility dorks and acts as a weird, pseudo-Planar Void that hoses some infinite combos like anything with Reveillark, for example. It can also straight up kill people late in the game.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Have you tried out the black Myojin? It's a great card to drop into play early and you don't don't mind if it gets Bribery-ed, stolen or even if there is a Torpor Orb in play.
    I ran it in the deck a while back and it was pretty good. The problem is that Myojin of Night's Reach probably isn't coming down much earlier than turn five or six, which makes it a little slow for my playgroup. I also play against Maelstrom Wanderer and Mayael the Anima on a regular basis, and by the time I can land Myojin of Night's Reach they don't really care if they have a hand or not. There are some situations where I make it to the late game in which he'd be pretty strong, so he might make it back in.

Similarly, I also like Army of the Damned. The Flashback really pushes it over the top. It also makes it pretty easy to one-shot someone off the boosts from Gauntlet or Caged Sun.
    I'm a huge fan of Army of the Damned. It'll probably get its shot someday.

I'm fond of these types of cards: low risk and high reward. I like jamming haymakers that even if they get dealt with you shrug and go about your business.
    Agreed. I want every card in this deck to be a must answer for someone. That's how you build a strong EDH deck.

Another card I've been wanting to test with for awhile is Massacre Wurm. Kills tokens, utility dorks and acts as a weird, pseudo-Planar Void that hoses some infinite combos like anything with Reveillark, for example. It can also straight up kill people late in the game.
    There aren't many tokens and utility dorks in my group now. I just cut Mutilate for that very reason. I don't think Massacre Wurm is a good fit.

Oh man, Hellfire is so cool! Old border + crazy art + a wall of text.

Have you tried Sepulchral Primordial? Any thoughts on Doubling Cube as another mana ramp?

If I don't want Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed in my hand and I never tutor for him, why would I want him as my general?
    Xiahou Dun as a general really begins to shine when you get your mana online. You can cast him, sac him to return something (usually a tutor), and instead of putting him in the GY move him back to the command zone. You can use the tutor, recast One-Eye (at an additional cost of 2 each time) and keep recur the tutor again. I used to run a Xiahou deck and if I could survive long enough to get a respectable amount for tapping Cabal Coffers, I could seal up the game and win the following turn. Usually I'd sit on Coffers in hand (to protect from LD) until I was ready to take a stab at the game. Then I'd drop Coffers, tap for a bunch of mana, cast Xiahou and sac him targeting a tutor I'd used in the earlier turns (putting Xiahou in the command zone if I didn't have a reanimate effect in hand), tutoring for Candelabra of Tawnos, casting it and untapping Coffers, generating more mana, casting and saccing Xiahou again, returning the tutor and usually grabbing Infernal Darkness. If that resolved, it was game over as next turn I would be able to tutor up infinite mana and infinitely recur Xiahou.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Wednesday, I ran Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed as my general instead of Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. That decision won me a game and could have saved another. In one game, I made infinite black mana but didn't have a tutor to get the kill. Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed let me reuse Grim Tutor for the win. In another game, my buddy was playing the deck, and he could have won if he used Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed to get back Infernal Darkness, but he didn't see the play. I'm not saying I'll make the switch yet, but it's looking like Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon's days are numbered.

Here's what I tried:

- Nightmare Lash
    - Lashwrithe
    - Exsanguinate
    - Cursed Totem

+ Lethal Vapors
    + Necropotence
    + Corpse Dance
    + Profane Command

Necropotence was incredible. I must have been brain damaged to not run that card before. Amon Amarth, you can say, "I told you so." I didn't draw Lethal Vapors all night. Corpse Dance was garbage. I never needed to use Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed more than once, and it isn't worth running a card to save one to three mana if I need to use him more. Cursed Totem went back in pretty fast. I figured with Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed as general, Profane Command might be better than Exsanguinate. With infinite black mana, you can kill someone with Profane Command, use Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed to get it back, leaving Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed in your graveyard. Cast Profane Command choosing life loss and return a creature to get Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed back and repeat until everyone is dead. There are pros and cons to the switch.

Pros:

When I don't have infinite mana, I can get some use out of Profane Command as creature kill, etc.

Cons:

No emergency life gain.
    It takes much more black mana to kill the table, making it more difficult to win with just Basalt Monolith/Rings of Brighthearth.

I'm leaning towards putting Exsanguinate back in, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    Oh man, Hellfire is so cool! Old border + crazy art + a wall of text.
    I know! Isn't it the most bad-ass looking card?

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    Have you tried Sepulchral Primordial? Any thoughts on Doubling Cube as another mana ramp?
    I just cut Animate Dead from the list for not being useful enough. I feel like Sepulchral Primordial and its five additional mana to cast would be even worse. I've tried out Doubling Cube, but the card is only good when you're ahead. You need to have seven mana in your pool before it does anything, and even then it only adds one mana. I prefer my ramp to work when I'm low on mana, but I've toyed with the idea of putting Doubling Cube back in.

I'm pretty sure Exsanguinate is just better but I'd still run both it and Command.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I'm pretty sure Exsanguinate is just better but I'd still run both it and Command.
    Why would you run both? They're mostly redundant.

Command can function as a removal spell albeit a little on the slow and clunky side. If that's not really what you want I'd just stick with Exsanguinate. I've never tested Xiahou but it seems like it wouldn't hurt for a bit of redundancy.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Why would you run both? They're mostly redundant.
    Isn't Exsanguinate each player, where Profane Command is target? That would be one reason to run both.

I mean it seems like it depends on how many countermeasures you think you need to play through. I get that infinite mana leads to potentially infinite recursion with your new Commander, but like let's play devil's advocate and assume he's inaccessible because he's tucked or whatever; you can either tutor for your commander or tutor for your win con. You could get Bogged at a shitty time and lose a lot of potential Xiahou targets. I dunno, Exsanguinate is a one-card combo with infinite mana, that kind of makes it seem strong. I get why Profane Command would be the only spell to run in a perfect world though, since it would not matter if you got blown out.

Thread Information