Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SCD] Myr Superion

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Re: [SCD] Myr Superion

Quote Originally Posted by Dela View Post
    Can you cast him off the spirit guides?
    This was my question too, anyone have an answer?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

No. Unless they're in play, they're not creatures, they're creature cards.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Perhaps a very stupid question, but can you play him if you happen to have a creatures like etherium sculptor in to play that reduces the cost of artifacts by 2 or can't you play him due to the fact that you can't pay with mana coming form a creature to pay 0 for him?
    Currently playing and testing:
    Faerie Stompy
    Bant Survival
    UW Tempo
    Zoo

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    I guess maybe if Combo Elves wanted goyf 5-8 for a man plan? Otherwise seems pretty jank.
    Why should combo elves play Tarmogoyfs or Myr Superion?
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    They SHOULDN'T. The only real 'aggro' creature that combo elves uses is the occasional Intuitin/Vengevine strategy. Other than that it's all about Emrakul, Grapeshot, NO-Pro, or lord-boosted aggro.

The format seems like it's slowing down to me...that means cheap dumb beats (no matter if they have extra stipulations or not) won't really cut it for much longer. Look at Kird Ape/Loam Lion...basically unplayable now that Steppe Lynx can hit as a 4/5 on turn 2. The difference with Tarmogoyf is that he is UNCONDITIONAL (well, mostly, lol) big dumb beats. His 2 mana requirement is negligable when you consider he can blank just about ANY turn 1 creature on your opponent's side of the board.

If you really want to look at cards in a vacuum, Tombstalker is actually better than Tarmogoyf. Evasion, always a 5/5, and gets around Counterbalance. But everyone still knows Tarmogoyf is still the best creature in print...don't compare Myr Superion to Tarmogoyf too much, it's really not even comparing apples to oranges. Goyf = splashable as beats in ANY deck easily, Superion needs mana dorks and a lot of them. The decks that run a lot of mana dorks don't need Superion (Elves and Bant Aggro are the only 2 I can think of...am I missing any?)

Myr Superion belongs in Steel Stompy if anything...but Steel Stompy doesn't run mana dorks at all, lol. That should give you a clue about how much legacy play he'll get...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Feb 2011
    Lisbon

vine dryad? tinder wall, blood pet, wild cantor (it seems fun but at the same time meh...)

There is no cow level.

Jan 2011
    Germany, NRW

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mass View Post
    Perhaps a very stupid question, but can you play him if you happen to have a creatures like etherium sculptor in to play that reduces the cost of artifacts by 2 or can't you play him due to the fact that you can't pay with mana coming form a creature to pay 0 for him?
    Having 2 Etherium Sculptors makes him essentially free, yes.

But then you're forced to run both Etherium Sculptor and Myr Superion, so that's still meh...
    Island, go.

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    I wasn't saying they should, just that its an option I guess?

Also, kinda sad he can't be cast off of Spirit Guides. I was picturing a man-plan for belcher. Which is probably bad anyway.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    I wasn't saying they should, just that its an option I guess?
    I don't think it's an option for a combo deck to run a slow vanilla 2cc beater. Even if it is 5/6.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I thought Goyf 5-8 was Green Sun's Zenith.

Can you play him off Dryad Arbor?

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by shaneswa View Post
    Can you play him off Dryad Arbor?
    yes

this card is still bad any way you slice it, lol
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Dec 2006
    Spain

You can play it in block Grand Architect decks, but for legacy I can't find a good deck that needs him

Being an artifact can suck, but being colorless can sometimes help (in a Mother of Runes infested meta)

May 2007
    Rochester

You can Transmute Artifact for it, or search for it with Tezzeret

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I wouldn't say COMPLETELY bad.

I think he could find his way into a Deadguy Ale list that uses Aether Vials. Why? You don't have to splash green for goyfs, and a hefty 5/6 that has a Sword of Fire and Ice tagged onto it is pretty sexy...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I wouldn't say COMPLETELY bad.

I think he could find his way into a Deadguy Ale list that uses Aether Vials. Why? You don't have to splash green for goyfs, and a hefty 5/6 that has a Sword of Fire and Ice tagged onto it is pretty sexy...
    I was gonna say that, DnT or any non-green weenie deck that uses Vial. The problem I see with it is that if you don't get Vial going, it will suck.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The guy is kitchen-table awesome, for sure. Whether or not he'll see constructed play depends on the number/quality of mana dorks in standard. In legacy, you basically have these for mana dorks:

1) Noble Hierarch (only Bant plays this, and they already have Goyf)
    2) Birds of Paradise (does this even get played anymore? Some fringe decks that abuse Cataclysm/Armaggedon/Death Clou)
    3) Elves (the last thing elves needs is a 5/6 vanilla creature. Emrakul and Progenitus are just soooo much better)
    4) Dryad Arbor/Green Sun's Zenith: most decks only play a singleton Dryad Arbor, so this is just flat out not going to happen (refer to #1 for Bant)

So your options are these:

1) Vial Affinity (pretty solid idea...you could start using Paradise Mantle instead of Springleaf Drum)
    2)Vial Myr Tribal (not a bad idea really...it would allow for Dispatch, which will shake up the format quite a bit in Affinity decks already. Easy to make it an exile effect and the Myr Lord makes it a viable tribe along with Master of Etherium. Don't forget Grand Architect, too)
    Brainstorm Realist

Jan 2010
    State College, PA

Sounds interesting. I was actually thinking about grand architect/vial/affinity. Just basically monoblue. The question is whether grand architect is playable in legacy. He seems too slow.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    You can play it in block Grand Architect decks, but for legacy I can't find a good deck that needs him
    This. My buddy has a type 2 deck that he's been playing that is kind of a mono-blue artifact/infect deck.. Crazy fun, but it's pretty crappy when you're on the shitty end of turn 1 land (misstep), turn 2 everflowing chalice for 1, turn 3 grand architect leaving a land up, tap architect for 2, superion, pay to make superion blue, tap for 2, superion, go.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Thread Information