Thread: Burning them out is just so much fun...Top 4 a 29 man Local rochester,NY

May 2007
    Rochester,NY

Burning them out is just so much fun...Top 4 a 29 man Local rochester,NY

This past sunday I decided to play legacy for the first time in over a year...I had scrubbed out of the PTQ at Millennium Games and put together the Sullivan Burn list to play in a 29 man legacy side event....I changed up the board to a

3xPyroblast

3xRed Elemental blast

3xSearing Blaze

3xTormod's Crypt

3xSmash to Smithereens

Round 1 (2-0) vs. Stoneforge Bant

very straight forward match up...learned very quick...if you just ignore goyf you can win. drew the 2 land special and all gas...between 2 goblin guides and a grim lavamancer. Went to Game 2... found the blue to be a small threat so only brought in 3x Pyroblast and 3x smash to smithreens for his jitte's and 3x searing blaze. Game 2 I killed both the turn 2 and turn 3 Mother of Runes, then the jitte with no creatures on the board. he sCooped when I dropped 2xfigures.

Round 2 (2-0) vs. Necro Helm U/B

never thought Id see this deck outside of vintage...he opens a plays a Leyline of the void. I think nothing of it...first turn he plays dark ritual into 2x duress 1x thoughtseize...he then proceeds to no draw another land and my goblin guide and figure do the job. board in 3x Smash to smithreen. once again opens with leyline of the void...and then drops leyline of sanctity...ouch...i luckily peer at my 3x goblin guide hand with 2 lands and a s2s. he plays a turn to helm but no mana to activate...i s2s the helm of obediance and its gg with the help of my goblin guides.

Round 3 (0-2) vs. U/G/R Stiflenaught

game 1 he plays a first turn dreadnaught by removing simian spirit guide then fetches for a volcanic island. i scoop to game 2. board in 3xpyroblast 3x red elemental blast 3x smash to smithereens. go no counters...decide to keep...draw into 2 REB and and s2s. He plays a turn 2 goyf and Im completely surprised...I then have enough damage to throw at his face to win and he gets me with double spell pierce for the lava spike and I scoop it up.

Round 4 (2-0) vs. U/W Swordfish

game 1 was almost a not even a game...it seems he decides to keep a 1 lander with aether vial...but didnt have a 1 drop to go with it...he is at 7 before his first creature came out so that was a no prb win. Game 2 board in 3x Pyroblast 3x REB 3x searing blaze...i counter his turn 2 Lord of atlantis...and then smash his aether vial...then he fetches for a tundra and drops a stoneforge mystic...didn't see that coming...gets jitte...i got the smash for the jitte and he forces...then i pryo blast and he is at gg.

Swiss (3-1)

Top 8

(2-1) over Bloodbraid Bant

Game 1 I keep a one lander and just can't pace with my opponent as a bloodbraid in to both a goyf and then another Bloodbraid into a ancestral vision had me scoop up to a game 2. Board in 3x Searing Blaze I get his turn 1 hierarch with searing blaze...which I needed to explain how the card worked. he turns 2 a goyf....I then suspend a rift bolt and pass turn. I EoT price of progress...rift bolt the goyf and then bolt it after....he makes fun of me for wasting 2 spells on on the goyf...he then draws dead for 3 turns and I burn him out. Game 3 decide to board in 3xpyroblast for this match after seeing mind harness game 2. I play turn 1 turn 2 goblin guide...one gets harness I searing blaze his heirarch and just wait for the gobline guide to get let go from the mind harness...He get keeps getting burned as I draw all gas and there is little to no resistance.

Pros

Goblin guide is a beast

Grim Lavamancer is a beast

Playing a rogue deck can blow out a local meta that doesnt see it coming

beating the guy in the Top8 after he cracks on me for "misplaying".

Playing legacy again.

Cons

hmm I either need to have tormod's crypt come out for Mindbreak trap if i was to play in a bigger event. Just felt like I had a 3 slot in my board that was wasted. other ideas include Pyrokinesis or Cave-In...thoughts?

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Re: Burning them out is just so much fun...Top 4 a 29 man Local rochester,NY

congrats on finish.

I'm been thinking about running smash in the main. It seems like almost every game it was a house when you boarded it in?

Aug 2010
    Clifton Park, NY

Great job on the tourney, but I need to say something. Using ... between every sentence drives me crazy, just use a single one and call it a period. Using 3 is called an ellipsis, and has a defined purpose. All it does is make your paragraphs extremely difficult to follow.

Just had to get that off my chest lol.

Otherwise, what happened after your top 8 match? Did top 4 just split, or did you lose to something?

May 2007
    Rochester,NY

Sorry about that. Will work on that when posting on here. I was able to convince the Top 4 to split. Came out to something liek $75 in store credit a piece.

Thread Information