Thread: I Strike Again!

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

I Strike Again!

Enjoy.

I wrote a new article, let me know what you guys think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: I Strike Again!

I play a UBr ANT list too with a few differences. I don't play Iggy maindeck, and I prefer 4 MD Infernals. Small nit pick here but I also prefer rite of flame over cabals. Though Rite is worst against misstep, most likely its your brainstorm/thoughtseizes/dark rituals that are going to eat Misstep anyway. I like rite because you need double red when wishing for Empty the Warrens. I felt that too often I can ramp up to cast something off a wish but I can't get double red. Rite helps in this case.

I see from your list that you still plan to go Thresholded Cabal into Wish into Tutor into ANT, but UBr versions don't run as many cantrips so getting Threshold is gonna be challenging. I also think 1 island, 1 swamp is enough since you usually plan on going off on T3 or you can leave an uncracked fetch to dodge wasteland. Great article BTW, nice work on the NPH wrap up.

I'll admit to skipping over your discussion of Mental Misstep and storm decks, as I've been up for far too many hours for it to still be before noon. If that makes sense. It's not noon yet. Wtf.

However, I have two small issues with your assessment of the non-MMS cards. Dismember is not as great as I initially thought, and I think your analysis is spot on. Team America, and other black-centric/splashing decks gain the most utility out of this, but I think a nod to artifact-based midrange decks is in order. It is a very, very good removal spell for stompy variants.

Your analysis of Gitaxian Probe, I think, is way off. Probe actually does what people thought Mental Misstep would do: reduce the size of decks that care about streamlining to 56. Comparing it to Street Wraith, while not fallacious, doesn't do it justice.

Street Wraith can't show you what to name for Cabal Therapy, Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, or Phyrexian Revoker. It doesn't add to the Storm count. It doesn't pitch to Force of Will or Misdirection.

That being said, Probe can be countered, which leaves it open to MMS, Counterbalance, Spell Pierce, Nix, Daze, etc. Force of Will, obviously, but I dunno when that would be worth it.

But the biggest thing, I think, is a zero mana, no card advantage "cost", storm +1. That's fairly absurd in some decks.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    But the biggest thing, I think, is a zero mana, no card advantage "cost", storm +1. That's fairly absurd in some decks.
    It still costs two life. Not many non-Suicidal combo deck want this kind of effect. Plus, most Legacy lists are very very tight, so I don't know what you would cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post

Street Wraith can't show you what to name for Cabal Therapy, Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, or Phyrexian Revoker. It doesn't add to the Storm count. It doesn't pitch to Force of Will or Misdirection.
    I can't think of many decks that begged for peek, and are overly delighted now that it can be played for life. Certainly a deck playing the 4 cards you mention does not want peek all that much, at least considering what cards you usually see paired with them.

Chasing geese with a spoon...
    May 2010
    Sweden

I'm fairly certain that Gitaxian Probe will go into various Doomsday-decks. The fact that it slims down DD-piles adding stormcount and checks for disruption pre-go-off makes it a valueable asset.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Miyagi View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Gitaxian Probe will go into various Doomsday-decks. The fact that it slims down DD-piles adding stormcount and checks for disruption pre-go-off makes it a valueable asset.
    Yep. Many piles that needed SDT beforehand can run off of Gitaxian Probe, so it will probably see some play. At any rate, I think it's an improvement on Street Wraith in Doomsday decks that are running Street Wraith now.

The problem is that if you're relying on it to complete your pile, you necessarily make yourself vulnerable to Misstep. Relying on it to draw you into your combo is a risky proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    Yep. Many piles that needed SDT beforehand can run off of Gitaxian Probe, so it will probably see some play. At any rate, I think it's an improvement on Street Wraith in Doomsday decks that are running Street Wraith now.

The problem is that if you're relying on it to complete your pile, you necessarily make yourself vulnerable to Misstep. Relying on it to draw you into your combo is a risky proposition.
    As opposed to Brainstorm or Top...
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    As opposed to Brainstorm or Top...
    Sensei's Divining Top could be dropped earlier before you go balls out with Doomsday.

But since most of the non-pass the turn piles often include a cantrip, Duress, Chain of Vapor, or recasting that SDT anyway, your point still stands. (Yes, you can construct a pile to beat anything but then it takes that much more mana.)

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I'd rather have a standard cantrip like preordain over the probe though. It seems pretty narrow and messes up your mulligan decisions (like street wraith). If you are using it to draw off doomsday, the peek purpose is abit too late. If you are peeking early, the cantrip effect is pretty weak too.

Thread Information