Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Sensible Approach To Breaking the Reserved List

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Re: A Sensible Approach To Breaking the Reserved List

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Honestly I think Modern is fairly healthy. All this falls under the whole, the way Vintage players look at Legacy who look at Standard who look at Legacy looking at Vintage thing. Now it just adds one more step: Vintage players looking at Legacy who look at Modern who look at Standard.

Modern players won't want to play Standard because of the limitations but don't want to play Legacy because of old inaccessible cards / price range. Also, the thing that really irritates me is the idea of the lack of strategy or versatility amongst decks in formats that are limited. At a super competitive level there will always be a handful of tier 1 decks and a much larger supply of tier 2 decks that I'd deem "good enough."

Just in Standard you have Caw-Blade, Valakut, Splinter-Twin, Allies, UW Control, UB Control, Vampires, Questvine, Tezze Control, Kuldotha Red, Boros Landfall, Infect variants, some of the new Koth decks sprouting up that look promising, and so on.

When Modern is official, I suspect a few things: For one, any Legacy deck that's portable will probably be ported (CounterTop?), any Standard deck will be reexamined, and every old "best deck in standard at the time" will be reevaluated to see if it's strong enough.

However I think Modern will sort of have to reprint the old fetch lands, Ravnica duals will be prevalent and probably boost up in price. Tri-Color decks will be less workable unless you're willing to take 3 damage to the dome to help fix you mana (Fetch + Shock)..

I dunno, I think the format will be fun, a lot of experimenting for me.
    My opinion, format fucking sucks...

Look at aggro, pretty much every good beater is post 8th. Assuming shocklands are the best lands they are going to get it's criminally easy to play 3 color zoo, yet 3 color control is pretty much out of the question as Bolting yourself twice a game is pretty much a straight road to a loss, even two color control is dicey with or without fetches (risk color screw often or have to bolt yourself every once in a while). The land base favors aggro and combo (try to win before life matters both ways) and puts control at a solid disadvantage and that situation will likely never change. Playing control you absolutely can't afford to be color screwed out of early answers vs. aggro or combo. Meanwhile Zoo can play the top 8 GP list minus Lavamancers and Library and with a couple different burn spells.

I don't think the comparison to Vintage->Legacy is fair. Legacy is a completely different format from Vintage in every way and I don't think anyone is going to argue that. Legacy->Modern is just like saying Budget Legacy, it feels like house rules to me. I mean pretty much everybody, even Wizards, is like, "Yeah, everyone would rather play Legacy, but it's too expensive for some and we are going to honor some 15 year old bad mistake we made instead. So given that people can't afford it, here's a format that kind of feels like bobo Legacy, so if you can't afford to play Legacy you can just play this instead..."

Everyone accepts it's not as good and if price wasn't an issue they would rather play Legacy. If Vintage was an equal price option many would rather play Legacy since they don't find Vintage as fun, almost no one would choose Modern over Legacy in that scenario and the format wouldn't even exist except for dual land prices. At this point I'd rather play Pauper than Modern for fun (and yes I play Pauper). At least they made it 8th forward instead of MM forward though. Get ready for a lot of complaints about the price of Modern cards about 6 months after the format catches on. A lot of kids are thinking they hit the jackpot right now and that they are going to be able to afford to play Modern, seriously though if it hits critical mass who knows what card prices are going to look like. Still I expect either ShockLands, old Fetches, or some new Dual Land are going to come out in the next block (I heard it was a return to Ravnica which would make me think so even more if it was true). I also expect Goyf will be reprinted in the next 2 years in some form to push this format, as aside from Jace he's the chase money rare and Jace was just printed 2 blocks ago.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I apologize but, at what point did I compare Vintage to Legacy? I'm speaking to the purist crowd. Are there not very specific reasons people who only play Vintage only play Vintage? I would assume it's because there's something about Legacy they don't like, just like how Legacy players (IE: the people who only play legacy) shit on Standard for everything they shit on Standard for. Just like they're shitting on Modern. Who will in turn shit on Standard. Standard is kind of the bastard in all of this. They hate on other people because they just get hated on .

Then there's people like me who just..find..magic fun. I'll play standard, limitations are fun and it forces you to think outside the box with a much smaller card set. Legacy is fun, since the lack of restrictions is fun too. Vintage sounds fun, but until I have about $8,000 to dump on a deck I don't see that happening.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I apologize but, at what point did I compare Vintage to Legacy? I'm speaking to the purist crowd. Are there not very specific reasons people who only play Vintage only play Vintage? I would assume it's because there's something about Legacy they don't like, just like how Legacy players (IE: the people who only play legacy) shit on Standard for everything they shit on Standard for. Just like they're shitting on Modern. Who will in turn shit on Standard. Standard is kind of the bastard in all of this. They hate on other people because they just get hated on .

Then there's people like me who just..find..magic fun. I'll play standard, limitations are fun and it forces you to think outside the box with a much smaller card set. Legacy is fun, since the lack of restrictions is fun too. Vintage sounds fun, but until I have about $8,000 to dump on a deck I don't see that happening.
    I'm not saying you are comparing Vintage to Legacy I was talking about your point about other people comparing Vintage to Legacy in judging Legacy to be the inferior format. Vintage is way too swingy for my tastes.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Thread Information