Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Land Tax was legal - Hypothetical decklist

bruizar

If Land Tax was legal - Hypothetical decklist

A lot of people (including me) would like to see Land Tax removed from the Banned List. A lot of people also think that its impact will not be that great. I disagree, but the point of this thread is not to plee for or against its unbanning. This is merely a thought exercise of what a Land Tax deck could look like. Iīd like to share a hypothetical deck list based on Land Tax. This is by no means the final version, but I donīt think that is necessary until Land Tax actually becomes legal.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts

Decklist
    Permission
    These protect your Land Tax and counter Aether Vial, so that your opponent must rely on making land drops.

Mental Misstep
    Counter Aether Vial, Thoughtseize, Goblin Lackey or 1-mana counters (MM, Spell Pierce, Spell Snare)

Daze
    Adjust the land count, so that Land Tax triggers

Force of Will
    Needs no explanation
    Removal
    Rushing River
    Bounces 2 permanents and helps trigger Land Tax. That is a huge tempo gain, especially considering the fact that the deck runs so many counters.

Abolish
    Disenchant that doesnīt rely on land drops. Gets rid of Aether Vial and Counterbalance. You can do crazy things without mana like Daze, return Tundra, pitch tundra Abolish vial.

Path to Exile
    Creature removal that regulates the land count. He probably doesnīt want to grab a land so itīs better than Swords to Plowshares.
    Brainstorms

Jace, The Mindsculptor
    Too good not to play. Brainstorm ability is good when you get to put plains back.

Scroll Rack
    Not just Landcestral Recall, also helps you get back business cards that you recycle with Jotun Grunt

Brainstorm
    Landcestral Recall
    Beats
    Jotun Grunt
    Puts back pitched lands and business spells in your library, so that you can trigger Land Tax forever-ever and trade lands for business through Brainstorm, Jace or Scroll Rack.
    Also
    • Shrinks Tarmogoyf and Knight of the Reliquary.
    • Maindeck dredge hate.

Stoneforge Mystic
    Grabs 2 swords.

Sword of War and Peace
    1. Lifegain with Land Tax is big
    2. Sword damage helps race
    3. Sword damage can be redirected to planeswalkers. Push damage through to player while killing a planeswalkers
    4. Protection against zoo.dec + goblins.dec

or

Sword of Body and Mind
    1. Protection from Jace/goyf.dec+Merfolk.dec
    2. Feeds Jotun Grunt upkeep
    3. Gives free bodies

Sword of Fire and Ice is probably better than Body and Mind, but I want to have War and Peace and didn't want to go for Sword of Light and Shadow or Sword of Feast and Famine. Body and Mind has a good color combination but the effect isn't too strong. Not sure on the second Sword yet, perhaps replace for Umezawa's Jitte.
    Engine

Land Tax
    Almost forgot the main engine of the deck! Obviously, this thing gets you +3 cards each turn

Enlightened Tutor
    Gets you Land Tax, or Scroll Rack. After setting up the combo, you can put Mox Diamonds or Equipment on your deck and grab them. Mox Diamonds are actually really good in this deck so it doesnīt hurt to filter them out.

and finally..

Mox Diamond
    Way to cheat the number of lands in play. Works well with Land Tax, especially on the play.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: If Land Tax was legal - Hypothetical decklist

I suppose Foil would be good. What about Seismic Assault?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    I suppose Foil would be good. What about Seismic Assault?
    I think Iīd rather have Forbid than Foil. Seismic Assault looks very strong, but would be an entirely different deck.

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Because this is the source, I'm supposed to criticize your list right away:
    Mox diamond and 18 lands is a nonbo - run 3-4 more fetches, your brainstorms will thank you for it.

You are running 5 creatures and 1 planeswalker. 6 wincons? Not gonna get there. Consider running more creatures that combo with land tax, such as Fathom Seer, and those zendikar dudes who make you bounce lands every turn.

I understand the interaction between PtE and Land Tax, but its just gonna make your dazes worthless. StP is better maindboard choice, maybe PtE's in the board if you are having trouble with aggro decks.

Since you are running E Tutor, you have an excuse to run some techy shit maindeck - use the synergies, don't abuse them.

Anyway, I like the idea, keep tinkering!
    Only posts when drunk.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I think Iīd rather have Forbid than Foil. Seismic Assault looks very strong, but would be an entirely different deck.
    There are better ways to combo with seismic assault than land tax. But I agree, foil could be used as FoW 5-6.

Anyways, MD jotun grunt sucks.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Fundamentally, an issue with Land Tax is that it's pretty slow. For example, with Scroll Rack you spend 4 mana to net 1 card. Land Tax+Brainstorm is much stronger, but is still quite conditional.

What matchups does this deck do well in? It seems like you might have a good chance vs High Tide based storm combo, but most of the format will be busy bashing face while you're getting your Land Tax on line.

I think I'd rather see Land Tax grafted into some kind of Aggro Loam shell.

Ironically, your Lands matchup looks pretty bad :D Also, isn't a deck relying heavily on a 1-drop awkward in this upcoming metagame where everyone would be running MMs?

Anyway, indeed this deck doesn't look too broken to keep LT banned. perhaps a more broken deck can be achieved?

Finally, your aggro matchup already looks bad, and Merfolk (which will be pretty popular for a while) can theoretically run off of very low amount of lands, avoiding giving you the tax.

May 2007
    Rochester

I could see abusing raven's crime with the deck

Decklist:
    3 Vindicate
    4 Path to Exile
    3 Scroll Rack
    3 Raven's Crime
    4 Land Tax
    3 Thoughtseize

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Stoneforger Mystic
    3 Bitterblossom

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Basilisk Collar

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Scrublands
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Plains
    4 Swamps
    1 Karakas

Basically uses land tax for ravens crime and scroll rock. Could cut down on lands. I don't know what the best creatures are to run either.

probably involving Terravore and Noble Hierarch...
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by nayon View Post
    Ironically, your Lands matchup looks pretty bad :D Also, isn't a deck relying heavily on a 1-drop awkward in this upcoming metagame where everyone would be running MMs?

Anyway, indeed this deck doesn't look too broken to keep LT banned. perhaps a more broken deck can be achieved?

Finally, your aggro matchup already looks bad, and Merfolk (which will be pretty popular for a while) can theoretically run off of very low amount of lands, avoiding giving you the tax.
    0 CC
    Force of Will
    Mental Misstep
    Daze
    Abolish
    1 CC
    Land Tax
    Enlightened Tutor
    Path to Exile
    Brainstorm
    2 CC
    Jotun Grunt
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Sword of War and Peace
    Sword of Body and Mind
    Scroll Rack
    3 CC
    Rushing River
    4 CC
    Jace, The Mind Sculptor

I have 1 Jace that, admittedly requires too much mana to cast. Other than that, 12 of my spells cost more than 1 mana (2 or 3). I am running 4 Mox Diamonds with a relatively low land-count so I donīt need to make my Land Drops.

The only card that really requires 3 mana is Rushing River, which puts me back to 2 mana after I cast it. If I have 1 Mox Diamond in play, that means I will have 1 land.

Perhaps I need 1 more Stoneforge Mystic. Sword of Body and Mind is a great card against Merfolk. Some Merfolk players like splashing Tarmogoyf which SoBaM is effective against as well. I get to attack the Merfolk player, and get an untapped wolf that I can equip with Sword in return. snatch 10 cards.

Perhaps 4 StP/Poryphory Nodes should go in the sideboard, to better fight aggro, but Iīm really not that concerned about the aggro matchup because of the fact that I get to recycle my removal (Rushing River+Path to Exile) with Jotun Grunt, and get to shrink Goyfs and Knights. The idea of the deck is to start an attrition war and exhaust resources, which you can infinitely recycle.

I just dont see it getting unbanned. Remember that with multiples you are pulling 6+ cards per turn. Seems pretty degenerate.
    You look bored, I wish
    everything about the danger
    wouldnt make you such a stranger.

Perhaps I need 1 more Stoneforge Mystic. Sword of Body and Mind is a great card against Merfolk. Some Merfolk players like splashing Tarmogoyf which SoBaM is effective against as well. I get to attack the Merfolk player, and get an untapped wolf that I can equip with Sword in return. snatch 10 cards.
    Merfolk doesn't splash for Goyf any more... that was so 2010. (Coralhelm Commander fills Tarmogoyf's role, more or less.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

To be honest, I tested Land Tax and it was underwhelming. Sure there's lots of things to abuse it with, but that means about 6-8 slots of cards that abuse a card advantage engine. Compare that to cards like SDT/Standstill which draws much less cards but are already solid on their own, you are now able to play with more free slots to win/control the game. Maybe Landstill isn't the best shell to squeeze Land Tax in, but I really can't see any other decks abusing Land Tax the way a control deck would.

The thing is, Land Tax by itself doesn't generate any advantage (given that most legacy players can play on a low curve and if you're the control deck hoping that your opponents make land drops, and all the time an opponent is playing threats off Vial/Hierarch/Lackey/1cmc creatures, it becomes hard to gain an advantage until after turn 3+. If you yourself can't miss a land drop, you are essentially turning off your own Tax by playing a land drop.

I think the card could still use a lot more testing, but given some limited testings i've done in control lists, it doesn't seem too impressive as a FOUR off. I play 2-3 Land Tax as a source of unreliable card advantage. Land Tax requires you to play with Brainstorm (this is always good) and Scroll Rack (this is not always good), and some other forms of manipulation to truly make it powerful. The interaction of Land Tax and Land Tax Abusing Card is much more situational and difficult to setup than something like a 1cmc instant Brainstorm with fetchlands.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

I'm a big fan of Land Tax being unbanned some day soon and I tell people, albeit somewhat jokingly that with Mental Misstep around, Land Tax is fine. I've personally never taken the time to build a fantasy deck with my favorite card assuming it got unbanned but I think Metalwalker is on the right path though, you're playing a lot of really condition cards where you probably don't need to be, like Abolish and Rushing River (less so on Rushing River, but the card just isn't stellar.) The point I disagree with Metalwalker on is if Scroll Rack is a conditional card, it's amazing nearly always.

If you're going to be using so many Enlightened Tutors in the main, why not have something else great to grab with them? Moat comes to mind as that one's pretty good. If you find a way to get inevitability you can include Solitary Confinement to this list. Even a one-of Zuran Orb or Trade Routes isn't a bad idea. Not to mention how well this likely synergies very well with all of this

I think you're missing some of the sweeter control pieces as well, I think it's fine to just slap Counterspell in this deck and maybe even Wrath of God, because your opponents are going to try to extend on to the board as much as possible.

Both of our builds still find me lacking for a win-condition, Jotun Grunt is likely a fine inclusion, but I'm not quite sold on Stoneforge Mystic for this kind of deck.

Anyway, I'll keep spreading the word that Land Tax is fair and underpowered compared to Mental Misstep, everyone should do the same and maybe we'll get to play with Land Tax soon.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

bruizar

Not too long ago, Land Tax was seeing some play Vintage, the format least dependent on lands as mana sources. The lands that do get played are often so degenerate that they are not legal in Legacy. This deck was able to see the light of day in a meta with Mishra's Workshop, Mana Vault, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Sapphire, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual and Tolarian Academy. These are the best accelerants the game has seen since its release nearly 20 years ago. Are you really going to suggest that Legacy, the abused stepchild of Vintage is too fast for Land Tax?

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/16515.html

In this article, 4 Mox Diamonds are run alongside 16 lands of which 5 are Wasteland/Strip Mine. The idea of playing 24 lands if you're playing with Mox Diamonds is a fallacy. That may be a requirement for Aggro Loam, but it's not a requirement for the card Mox Diamond. I think I've played with Mox Diamond more than most of the people here. Having it in your opening hand is much more important than having it "pollute" your draws. I say this, because it depends on the number of basics (How fragile your mana base to wasteland/back to basics/blood moon is), and the curve you have. This deck can operate on 1 or 2 mana sources, which is 1 Mox Diamond and perhaps 1 land. I don't know any deck that can operate on so little resources besides Dredge.

I am willing to admit that the threat density is too low. Perhaps I'd run Squadron Hawks in it to have more scrollrack/brainstorm fodder and to have infinite chumpers with Jotun grunt. I have actually tested a list very similar to this one and it plays out nice. It's a slow control deck that tries to exhaust resources. You should not forget that Land Tax is a shuffle effect each turn, so anything you put back with Jotun grunt immediately gets shuffled, increasing your odds of drawing business.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Not too long ago, Land Tax was seeing some play Vintage, the format least dependent on lands as mana sources. The lands that do get played are often so degenerate that they are not legal in Legacy. This deck was able to see the light of day in a meta with Mishra's Workshop, Mana Vault, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Sapphire, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual and Tolarian Academy. These are the best accelerants the game has seen since its release nearly 20 years ago. Are you really going to suggest that Legacy, the abused stepchild of Vintage is too fast for Land Tax?

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/16515.html

In this article, 4 Mox Diamonds are run alongside 16 lands of which 5 are Wasteland/Strip Mine. The idea of playing 24 lands if you're playing with Mox Diamonds is a fallacy. That may be a requirement for Aggro Loam, but it's not a requirement for the card Mox Diamond. I think I've played with Mox Diamond more than most of the people here. Having it in your opening hand is much more important than having it "pollute" your draws. I say this, because it depends on the number of basics (How fragile your mana base to wasteland/back to basics/blood moon is), and the curve you have. This deck can operate on 1 or 2 mana sources, which is 1 Mox Diamond and perhaps 1 land. I don't know any deck that can operate on so little resources besides Dredge.

I am willing to admit that the threat density is too low. Perhaps I'd run Squadron Hawks in it to have more scrollrack/brainstorm fodder and to have infinite chumpers with Jotun grunt. I have actually tested a list very similar to this one and it plays out nice. It's a slow control deck that tries to exhaust resources. You should not forget that Land Tax is a shuffle effect each turn, so anything you put back with Jotun grunt immediately gets shuffled, increasing your odds of drawing business.
    I think you're misrepresenting what that deck really was. Meandeck Parfait was never really played by anyone, that I know of, let alone having any meaningful placings. I played with the deck a bit when that article first went up and it did have some match-ups but was essentially underpowered even at that point.

In fact, the last time I was aware of a Parfait deck doing well in Vintage was sometime around 2006 or 2007, which was an entirely different era in the game.

Besides, Land Tax can only get basic lands, that's fair.
    Land Tax can only get lands if you're behind, that's also fair
    Land Tax is an enchantment - enchantments are the easiest permanents to destroy in the game. That's fair.
    Land Tax costs one and Mental Misstep is in literally ever deck ever now, that's fair.

Conclusion: Land Tax is fair and fun.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I have been playing with this 'Legacy Parfait' list. So far it's been okay but it definitely needs a better win condition:

12 Plains
    4 Crystal Vein
    3 Wasteland
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 Mistveil Plains

4 Land Tax
    3 Scroll Rack
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Crucible of Worlds

4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Orim's Chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Ghostly Prison
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Oblivion Ring
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Armageddon
    1 Humility
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Wrath of God

1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Luminarch Ascension

The deck hasn't had any updates since Scars of Mirrodin. I myself love the card but it does take long to win with it.

Any questions, comments and ideas are more than welcome.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    I'm a big fan of Land Tax being unbanned some day soon and I tell people, albeit somewhat jokingly that with Mental Misstep around, Land Tax is fine. I've personally never taken the time to build a fantasy deck with my favorite card assuming it got unbanned but I think Metalwalker is on the right path though, you're playing a lot of really condition cards where you probably don't need to be, like Abolish and Rushing River (less so on Rushing River, but the card just isn't stellar.) The point I disagree with Metalwalker on is if Scroll Rack is a conditional card, it's amazing nearly always.

Anyway, I'll keep spreading the word that Land Tax is fair and underpowered compared to Mental Misstep, everyone should do the same and maybe we'll get to play with Land Tax soon.
    Hey Shake, just wanted to clarify that I'm not dissing Scroll Rack as a bad card. It's definitely have conditionality inbuilt in it more than its cousin Sensei's Diving Top. There's some benefits to Rack that Top doesn't provide and that is: its efficiency/power scales with the hand-size you have. If you have more cards in hand, Rack becomes stronger (with/withoutfetches, another big advantage over Top when you have a big handsize is that you don't need fetches and it's still amazing). However, when your handsize is around 0-3 cards, Rack becomes less powerful than Top in digging for spells. For most parts, Top is the most mana efficient digging tool than Rack, but if Land Tax is unbanned, Rack's power level is much much higher (tied to the increased hand size).

I definitely feel that Land Tax is not an overpowered card, because it's really hard to fit it in a deckshell that works without figuring out what to cut. Just 4 Land Tax in a deck is pretty bad without something to abuse it with. Most Legacy decks these days can easily play around Land Tax (Hierarch/Vial/Lackey/Combo) etc. And like you said, Land Tax only grabs BASIC lands, which really limits the amount of decks it can be played it. Annoyingly, you need at least 6-8 slots (including Land Tax) to even make it worthwhile. If you start dedicating more slots to a more broken engine e.g. Seismic Assault/Forbid, then we start looking into slow round-about win-conditions that don't look impressive against existing current game-engines e.g. Natural Order, Show and Tell, Standstill, Bob, all kinda laugh at the 8-12 cards Land Tax decks dedicate to gain card-advantage when these currently existing cards are already super mana efficient in doing the same job currently.

Nevertheless, having Land Tax unbanned would be a good thing in my opinion. White control, and a host of control decks with new varieties could spring up. I don't see this card breaking the format at all. Sure it sucks that they get 3 BASIC (haha) lands, and possibly abuse it with an engine on turn 3,4. but the 8-12 slots to Tax.dec is not going to do anything for most parts against a host of decks e.g. combo/Lackey/Merfolk etc.

On another note, I'm expecting this card to be unbanned in some time because of reasons I mentioned above. If WotC's banning decisions have been as consistent as they had been (Survival, MTutor, Monolith, Time Spiral), this is definitely a safe card to come off. Also, I've been collecting ENLG Land Taxes and Korean FBB Land Taxes waiting to unload when the announcement is made :) We all know Time Spirals are worth $60 and Entombs are worth $50 when banning announcements are made. (Here's my sarcastic advice for people who have too much money: Don't buy Land Taxes right when they're unbanned. Like seriously. Save some money.)
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Not sure where Land Tax would be amazing in, but Enchantress, Thopters and Baneslayer Control all play 6+ Basics and use white spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Land Tax is an enchantment - enchantments are the easiest permanents to destroy in the game. That's fair.
    I think Artifact Creature wins that trophy, then creature and after that artifact, then Non-basic land, then enchantment, then Basic land. Not counting basic-land, Enchantment is the most difficult card type to hate out.

I agree with your conclusion though.

Thread Information