Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Land Tax was legal - Hypothetical decklist

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: If Land Tax was legal - Hypothetical decklist

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    Not sure where Land Tax would be amazing in, but Enchantress, Thopters and Baneslayer Control all play 6+ Basics and use white spells.
    Land Tax won't be amazing with those.

You usually build a deck around Land Tax. The card is like Time Spiral and Metalworker.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Seriously? Land Tax would be sick in Enchantress. Getting all the land out of your deck means this deck would become much more lethal and resilient when it only managed to stick one draw engine, and it means the next one would come all the faster. Plus it's a 1-drop that'll keep the draw chain going. I could see it running a pair, maybe even three.

I'd run it in a weird Junk deck with 6 basics, Mox Diamonds, and no double mana symbols too. And Mono White Control? Count me the hell in and let me get my Scroll Racks. That deck would be a contender with a draw engine.

That said, with the printing of Mental Misstep, I finally think Land Tax can come off the B&R list without worry. And I fully expect it to the update after next. My gut feeling is that they won't do anything until they see how Mental Misstep shapes and settles the format. Then it'll come.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Land Tax could be a relatively potent support card for control, and a very good slow engine, but in this format most decks can operate on anywhere from zero to five land, and do so comfortably. So if you're going to take advantage of it, the deck has to be able to do what it needs to do with consistently one less land than your opponent, at least to survive the early game.

Cards with Retrace might be good, as well as a deck that wasn't mono-white and just used Land Tax as a way to generate a steady stream of discard-able spells. Flame Jab, Raven's Crime, and Syphon Life all are under the four mana mark and are either debilitating over the long term or possible win conditions. Maybe a URw counterburn deck that runs white almost solely for Path to Exile and Land Tax, red for spot removal and win conditions (the eventual Flame Jab or Seismic Assault), and an Elixir of Vitality or Feldon's Cane or two to both buy yourself time and keep Land Tax chugging along.

if you're running u/w, and e. tutor, and stoneforge mystic, and want another win con, how about thopter/sword? you've got lots of ways to tutor for it, and its on color. seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

Thread Information