Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

I have to say that there's doesn't seem to be a particularly strong reason to hand out byes at all. It's not really clear that they accomplish anything good, and they accomplish much that isn't.

The villain here seems to be the bye system, not players splitting prizes or choosing to concede to a friend for whatever reason, which seem perfectly blameless in and of themselves.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

2nd Best Explorer in Magic
    Jun 2008
    Madison, WI

Re: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    TooClose: From what I've seen and overheard at tournaments, Gerry is a pretty friendly guy and I'm not surprised at all that he's responding to the criticism. I don't know if he helps little old ladies across the street in his off time, but it wouldn't be that out of character for him.
    I wasn't trying to knock on Gerry, I just ment this seems like such a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Fetches are boring. When someone suddenly gets money, they don't invest it in something practical; they spend it on something lavish like a prostitute/PEZ dispenser.
    A founding member of Team Bluff the Lotus - Bringing the crazy from Bob's Baseball Dugout

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

"Don't hate the player, hate the game." - Missy Elliott

I don't think scooping in the finals was that heinous of an act, it's not like it was a GP or PT; if it were a GP or PT finals, however, it would be a completely different story, but I liken this situation to t4 splitting at a large local tourney. 'Twas a long day of Magic, and everyone who participated (apparently) left satisfied, so who are we to judge?

I hope I get to whoop you Gerry the next time you come to Monster Den, you beat me pretty well the first time.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I have to say that there's doesn't seem to be a particularly strong reason to hand out byes at all. It's not really clear that they accomplish anything good, and they accomplish much that isn't.

The villain here seems to be the bye system, not players splitting prizes or choosing to concede to a friend for whatever reason, which seem perfectly blameless in and of themselves.
    It's the same reason GPs award byes- to get high level players to come to the tournaments. SCG feels like it is worthwhile to have well known and high quality players attend their tournaments, so they offer bonuses for those that do. People are more likely to watch/follow Gerry T than, dare I say, some random bad.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by TooCloseToTheSun View Post
    I wasn't trying to knock on Gerry, I just ment this seems like such a non-issue.
    Oh, I agree with you. He has no responsibility to defend his actions; he didn't do anything wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by dschalter View Post
    It's the same reason GPs award byes- to get high level players to come to the tournaments. SCG feels like it is worthwhile to have well known and high quality players attend their tournaments, so they offer bonuses for those that do. People are more likely to watch/follow Gerry T than, dare I say, some random bad.
    I'm going to go ahead and say that the people who care about which pros are playing is pretty much limited to other pros and associated barns. I think many more people care about which decks are performing, and are thus likely to be offput by rigged performances than by anything else.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Just curious now...about how much do most magic pro's make in a year? Also, is magic most pro's primary source of income?

people don't play magic for money, if they want money to switch over to poker

Quote Originally Posted by GerryT View Post
    Hey guys. Just thought I'd chime in with some thoughts.

I'm going to keep helping my friends. Yes, it does kind of suck for the spectators, and somewhat undermines the "integrity" of the game, but it's for a good cause. I do, in fact, go to these events to win money. I could get a 9-5 and lead a "real" life, but I don't want to. I've been down that road, and this suits me more.

Another thing that suits me is helping my friends. Chris VM, AJ, Drew Levin, etc are all level eight quality players. They will get there on their own merits eventually, it's just a matter of when. If I'm in the position to help them via shipping a list, giving them help, scooping, or whatever, I'm going to do it. When my friends are succeeding, it feels like I'm succeeding.

The system is arguably broken, but as a gamer, I'm built to break the system. I want to extract the most value from it and those important to me, at the expense of the spectators. As the person I retweeted said, I'm not here to entertain some notion of honor. I'm here to increase my equity in any given tournament for me and those I'm friends with.

It does suck, and I sympathize, but surely you can't blame me for doing what is in the best interest of me and my friends? I feel like most of the people complaining about such a thing have been in a place to receive a concession that truly benefits them. Try to see it from my point of view, because I've sat at home watching GGslive too, and I get where you guys are coming from.

Honestly though, the best cure for this is to just get out the tournaments and game yourselves. :)
    Apparently GerryT does...assuming of course this is actually him. There's tournament prizes, wizards money for being a high level player, store sponsorship money, and I assume other perquisites such as free cards and travel somehow...but I'm curious as to what that adds up to. Keep in mind that you have to reduce this figure by about 40% when comparing it to a 9-5 job to account for benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Apparently GerryT does...assuming of course this is actually him. There's tournament prizes, wizards money for being a high level player, store sponsorship money, and I assume other perquisites such as free cards and travel somehow...but I'm curious as to what that adds up to. Keep in mind that you have to reduce this figure by about 40% when comparing it to a 9-5 job to account for benefits.
    Not necessarily, assuming Magic is a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by gnat View Post
    Not necessarily, assuming Magic is a hobby.
    I'm sure there are plenty of pro's with jobs but at the very least "GerryT" said he doesn't have one. I was just trying to figure out about how much pro's make from magic. Taking out the 40% (and of course benefits packages are varied) would give a more realistic idea of how viable having magic as your primary source of income is (assuming you are a pro quality player).

Edit: So from wizards a level 8 player will make 10K for going to the 4 PT's since airfare/hotel are also paid for...but the $500 for GP's only really pays for accommodations to fairly local GP's (there's 7 in the US all over). At a SCG tournament (which I assume has pretty good payout?) you need to t8 to do better than minimum wage (5-8th is 250 for standard-30 entry/transportation). I assume pro's get their cards for free from their sponsors or borrow them. I have no idea what store sponsorship entails but as far as I can tell it would have to be a ton of money to really allow for their to be magic professionals.

The bye system is bad and it's the only reason these players gerry T refers to as quality players, and also himself, is consistently in the top8 of tournaments this size.

I understand why he would protect this system. As he says, he is working to extract as much value as he can of it, but let's all remember that without this system (3 bye every tournament) there is no way that he would be doing what he's doing with the aim of making money.

You can say that it's good because it creates a pro-cult that helps the game a lot. I, however think it's bad because it creates a difficulty to combine "wanting to prepare for and win a big tournament" with "Having a job".

Not fun.

Obviously GerryT is one of the best but he should recognize that he and other pros are given top8s by the system created by wizards, and not by playing the "true" game many times.

Given all matches between players are 50/50 and you simulate a fictional tournament w 500 palyers of which 50 have 3 byes a player with byes is far more likely to win just due to probability + tiebreaker system.

And on the tweet calling people bads after winning a tournament..... I don't know the context of this but seems like he needs to refect over the system and get off his high horses.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Just curious now...about how much do most magic pro's make in a year? Also, is magic most pro's primary source of income?
    Based on looking at the payouts i doubt many of them make over 50k a year. I know from looking at the magic hall of fame that the most made at wizards sponsored events by anyone lifetime is 400k.

Thread Information