Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

"Attention bads, people don't compete at 5ks to entertain your diluted fantasies of honor, they go to make money. #scgfl
    web • 5/16/11 4:15 AM
    retweeted by @G3RRYT"

It seems obvious that 'pros' hold us 'bads' in contempt for having an opinion on the game we love and care about. If their only goal in these series is to make money, might I suggest they do something far more lucrative, like say, poker?

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: Mental Misstep Overload in Orlando OR Your Token Middle-Class White Guy Complains

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    "Attention bads, people don't compete at 5ks to entertain your diluted fantasies of honor, they go to make money. #scgfl
    retweeted by @G3RRYT"

It seems obvious that 'pros' hold us 'bads' in contempt for having an opinion on the game we love and care about. If their only goal in these series is to make money, might I suggest they do something far more lucrative, like say, poker?
    Money.....

If you can win outright every 2 weeks or per every SCG5k that amounts to 3k a month, unless you win both days every event then it gets to 6k. After factoring in Actual results since no one wins both days or every event(dont know who has placed 1st how many times and what the splits in prizes were) and the costs of travel and hotel fare it would total to around 2k if you get 1st twice in 2 events or 5k if you get 1st both days every 2 weeks.

Uhmm, how many Millionaire Magic pros are there that made that off winning prizes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    retweeted by @G3RRYT"
    Or you know, you could get a real job, with benefits. :\
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The only reason I did not have Mental Misstep in my D+T deck is because I have a desire to win on my own terms that supersedes my desire to simply win. I don't expect to gain anything from that attitude, but I may very well have gone into round 8 undefeated instead of 6-1 if I were not so pigheaded. My only loss to that point was against Nick Spagnolo's Merfolk (this used to be a stellar matchup). In that match, he Misstepped me four times in three games using 1 blue mana and 6 life.

The targets were :
    Mother of Runes
    Aether Vial
    Swords to Plowshares
    Swords to Plowshares

...and they all hurt. Misstep won that match for him for sure.

I beat Chris Lewis' Merfolk (no Missteps) and Steven Goanos' Merfolk (4 Missteps). Take from this info what you will.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Ha. The guy Gerry retweeted used the wrong word (deluded). On that topic, I've sent a message to Star City, and sent a couple tweets to the pair o' jackasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

They're right, though. Those of us who haven't seen the top 8 of a big tournament imagine this glorious charge up the standings, hacking our enemies to pieces, and getting to the top to face a formidable opponent, with all sorts of glory on the line.

The reality is they've just sat in a room, probably eating shitty food, for 10+ hours, playing a card game. It doesn't sound physically tiring, but it can just be boring. It's Sunday, you have school or work tomorrow and a long drive home. I can certainly imagine them just saying screw it, and at that point I wouldn't fault them for it.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

As i've posted on other forums about this topic; what really surprises me is that most casual and non tournament people had no idea that scooping to friends for points and level ups has been happening on the Grand Prix and Pro Tour for over a decade.

All of this impotent nerd rage about scooping to people to level them up, seriously direct your rage at WotC for having that sort of system in place forever.

You want SCG to not follow the PT blue print? really?

all of this hate is so misguided and silly.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Again, you're missing the point. We understand why he scooped, and empathize. We just think that as SCG advertises these events as spectator sports (with SCGLIVE) building up a tournament to a scoop is rather lame. Even if it was just for fun, we'd want to see the match played out.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Anyone complaining about splitting in the top 8 is a fool. It's a loooong day by the time you get to that point and it comes down to playing one very stressful game of magic for roughly $1000 in front of a live feed or taking a pocketful of 100's and calling it a day. You would be more than happy to split in the finals after nearly 12 hours of Magic too. Especially if you had a 4 hour drive to get home.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    Anyone complaining about splitting in the top 8 is a fool. It's a loooong day by the time you get to that point and it comes down to playing one very stressful game of magic for roughly $1000 in front of a live feed or taking a pocketful of 100's and calling it a day. You would be more than happy to split in the finals after nearly 12 hours of Magic too. Especially if you had a 4 hour drive to get home.
    this, very this. You're exhausted at the end of the day and being able to help a friend out instead of playing a meaningless match is great.
    Art Gallery: www.vegeta2711.deviantart.com

For those saying you should win a tournament before calling people retarded, well, I did win one. And you guys are retarded.
    Kyle Boddy, re: legacy players, Winner of SCG Seattle 5k

Hey guys. Just thought I'd chime in with some thoughts.

I'm going to keep helping my friends. Yes, it does kind of suck for the spectators, and somewhat undermines the "integrity" of the game, but it's for a good cause. I do, in fact, go to these events to win money. I could get a 9-5 and lead a "real" life, but I don't want to. I've been down that road, and this suits me more.

Another thing that suits me is helping my friends. Chris VM, AJ, Drew Levin, etc are all level eight quality players. They will get there on their own merits eventually, it's just a matter of when. If I'm in the position to help them via shipping a list, giving them help, scooping, or whatever, I'm going to do it. When my friends are succeeding, it feels like I'm succeeding.

The system is arguably broken, but as a gamer, I'm built to break the system. I want to extract the most value from it and those important to me, at the expense of the spectators. As the person I retweeted said, I'm not here to entertain some notion of honor. I'm here to increase my equity in any given tournament for me and those I'm friends with.

It does suck, and I sympathize, but surely you can't blame me for doing what is in the best interest of me and my friends? I feel like most of the people complaining about such a thing have been in a place to receive a concession that truly benefits them. Try to see it from my point of view, because I've sat at home watching GGslive too, and I get where you guys are coming from.

Honestly though, the best cure for this is to just get out the tournaments and game yourselves. :)

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by GerryT View Post

I'm going to keep helping my friends. Yes, it does kind of suck for the spectators, and somewhat undermines the "integrity" of the game, but it's for a good cause. I do, in fact, go to these events to win money. I could get a 9-5 and lead a "real" life, but I don't want to. I've been down that road, and this suits me more.

Another thing that suits me is helping my friends. Chris VM, AJ, Drew Levin, etc are all level eight quality players. They will get there on their own merits eventually, it's just a matter of when. If I'm in the position to help them via shipping a list, giving them help, scooping, or whatever, I'm going to do it. When my friends are succeeding, it feels like I'm succeeding.

The system is arguably broken, but as a gamer, I'm built to break the system. I want to extract the most value from it and those important to me, at the expense of the spectators. As the person I retweeted said, I'm not here to entertain some notion of honor. I'm here to increase my equity in any given tournament for me and those I'm friends with.

It does suck, and I sympathize, but surely you can't blame me for doing what is in the best interest of me and my friends? I feel like most of the people complaining about such a thing have been in a place to receive a concession that truly benefits them. Try to see it from my point of view, because I've sat at home watching GGslive too, and I get where you guys are coming from.

Honestly though, the best cure for this is to just get out the tournaments and game yourselves. :)
    I would do the same thing in your shoes (and I have)

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I don't blame you; and I don't think many people do. What I personally got mad at was you retweeting the quote from that ass MtgVeteran; it basically told the community to fuck off.

Could you have played it out, for fun, and given him the win? Or given him the win and then played for fun? If you couldn't have, then I have no complaints. He's your friend, he needed it, you didn't, cool. If you could have, it would have been nice to see, and I'd like pros to take that into account in the future (providing of course that it is doable).
    -ktkenshinx-

2nd Best Explorer in Magic
    Jun 2008
    Madison, WI

I almost can't believe you took the time to address this "issue". I would have done the same thing in that situation. Also to people angry about the tweet, it must be extremely frustrating to have people call you unsportsmanlike and other shit for helping out a friend. I don't know how you didn't expect some blow-back. Congrats Gerry on another top 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Fetches are boring. When someone suddenly gets money, they don't invest it in something practical; they spend it on something lavish like a prostitute/PEZ dispenser.
    A founding member of Team Bluff the Lotus - Bringing the crazy from Bob's Baseball Dugout

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Dear Gerry,

Please hold your opening hand up to the cameras so the rest of us can see. Thank you.

Respectfully Yours,
    Admiring Audience

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Look, it wasn't the point MtgVeteran was making that made me mad, it was his mode of address. Again, it showed a good level of contempt for the community at large, and sounded a good bit like elitism.
    -ktkenshinx-

If I were SCG I would be require people I'm paying appearance fees to to play all of their top 8 matches; nobody should be upset at Gerry though, he was doing what was best for himself within the legal structure of the tournament.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Honestly I don't even care about concessions. What I find deplorable though is the attitude towards the audience/"bads" (non-"pro" locals who don't have the time or energy to travel around the country every week for a card game).

I think the majority of pros are friendly and humble, but "mtgveteran" can go **** himself. It's this sort of snide attitude that will drive potential newcomers away from the game. Pros should remember that the only reason that they can win prizes/appearance fees from these cardboard rectangles is because MtG has a fanbase that gives value to them and enables SCG to turn a big profit despite all the overhead costs associated with running a tournament. I would hope that pros would seek to stifle this sort of snobby, elitist attitude and be at least somewhat grateful to the fact that there are a hundred "bads" who didn't cut to the top 8, but whose entrance fee enable them to continue their lifestyle.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

The system in place is rediculous and broken, and it does absolutely nothing to foster a competitive environment. As a member of the fighting game community, which shares many, many similarities to the Magic community, this disgusts me and it boggles my mind as to why/how people think that the system is fine the way it is.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I totally get the scooping thing. I think it would've been nice to see a couple games played out anyway just so the kiddies at home can see the big exciting pro's play, but as has been said before, the days get long. The last couple SCG's I was at, I was eating asprin by the 5th or 6th round because of the headache from the concentration and the stress. I was pretty shocked when I first found out that you got your opponent's decklist in the T8 and it seemed somehow wrong, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's all for the show. Keeping the wrong hand sucks in the swiss and can knock you out of the tournament, but imagine the coverage of a 3 turn one-sided blow-out. That'd suck not just for you but for everyone at home too. So whatever.

TooClose: From what I've seen and overheard at tournaments, Gerry is a pretty friendly guy and I'm not surprised at all that he's responding to the criticism. I don't know if he helps little old ladies across the street in his off time, but it wouldn't be that out of character for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Thread Information