Well, we’re back after a little hiatus with our Sunday Legacy match reports from Temple Games in Pawtucket RI. Preparations for, and participation in the Providence Grand Prix along with a Kansas City GP Trail at The Temple … (Kansas City? Really)… having wrecked a bit of havoc with the regular Legacy events, are responsible for the brief stay.

Some days the mojo is with you and some days you’re on the wrong end of the voodoo doll. Today, I was the one with pins up my ass. I decided to pilot my modified Spiral Tide build into the fray, and boy was it the wrong choice from the first moment. Tide is just one of those decks where you have to be on your toes the whole time to be successful, especially when facing things like TES or Landstill. My mind was just not in the matches today. I was off my game like Billy Buckner and I paid heavily for it.

Round One was against a fresh UW Stoneforge build. All the usual suspects were in attendance, and I did myself no favors by keeping a land-heavy opening hand. My own missteps were weak against the 2-drop Mystic, and I was quickly battered by the Batterskull. I couldn’t draw into any combo pieces, and dropped a quick game one. I sided in some control for game two, and dropped a turn two Null Rod, hoping to slow my opponent down, but couldn’t get to my combo in time to save myself from another battering from the black-germ pounding.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

In another match Dredge threw down with Landstill, and took an easy game one. After boarding, Landstill took game two and then opened game three with a PAIR of Leyline of the Void. Dredge had a single Nature’s Claim, but Landstill stuck a Jace and fatesealed all the way to ultimate leaving Dredge with a seven card library, and no time. Landstill takes the match and will go on to top 4.

Round Two on served to solidly confirm that I was not playing the right deck, as I faced off against Tess. Game one went quickly, and I boarded in the Null Rods for control. I opened with a good hand, and dropped a fetch land. My opponent starts to go off on turn one in game two, and I watch with a Brainstorm in hand, not responding as he attempts a Chrome Mox. Much too late, I realize I could have at least fetched and dug for a Force of Will. Well, that’s too little, too late, and I let the opportunity slide by – Missteping an Oram’s Chant, but losing the game on his turn one anyway.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

Round Three was little better, as I faced off against Landstill. Again, I dropped a quick game one, and boarded in some more control. Game two went better, as my opponent was slow off the line and I drew easily into my combo pieces. I drove forward slowly, cautious of the mass control I knew my opponent was packing from watching his match against Dredge. I stuck a couple of High Tides, and was off to the races, intentionally avoiding popping a Time Spiral, so as not to allow him to draw into removal. I took game two and felt a little better about the day. For game three, I kept a one land hand, not really caring at that point if I won or not, and never drew into my second land in six turns.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

I dropped Round Four, and watched as Dredge beat the crap out of Eva Green (sad face Grant).

Elves, Landstill and UW Stoneforge all pulled into the top four cut, with Elves taking the match on the backs of the powerful Vengevine.

Congratulations to Krystian and Jared on making the finals, and Krystian for taking the top spot with his Agro Elves!

Next week, we’re hosting both our regular Legacy event followed by the MTG Commander release event!