Thread: Star City Open Indianapolis 7-2 21st On Bad Tiebreakers

This game is not a democracy.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Star City Open Indianapolis 7-2 21st On Bad Tiebreakers

My name is Patrick, and I do well in Indianapolis.

Most of you reading will not be familiar with who I am, and that's good. I made Top 16 at the last Indy open, piloting U/W Landstill (the list can be found here: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=36639). I had a great time at this tournament and it was my first SCG Open. I played in the Louisville Open and did poorly in both the Standard and Legacy portions and went back to the drawing board.

U/W Landstill is my favorite deck in all of Magic that is currently Legacy legal (my favorite card in the game is Balance.) I wanted to play Landstill again but control decks are all about having the right answers to the metagame and these are the problems I needed to solve:

1) Merfolk have a deck that counters spells, draws cards and attack with lords (14!!). The only cards that don't do this are AEther Vial, Island and Wasteland. Being in blue has become a huge liability due to Lord of Atlantis, and combating the deck can't rely on blocking. I need to be able to beat fast, big, uncounterable and resilient creatures.

2) Two other control decks have emerged in large numbers: UW decks with Stoneforge and without, and BUG control decks (like Team America but with less Tombstalker and more Dark Confidant and Life from the Loam). I also need to be able to function in a control mirror, specifically against cards like Hymn to Tourach, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Tarmogoyf, Stoneforge Mystic, Standstill, Mishra's Factory and Dark Confidant.

3) NO Bant/NO RUG is a big deck now. While the regular Bant/RUG decks are a breeze for Landstill, dealing with a Progenitus is not. The harder they lean on Natural Order the harder the matchup gets, but this is still reasonable.

4) There are still about 30 other archetypes I need to have a plan against. I won't list any of them but you should know how many decks in Legacy can show up at any point, and as a control deck you need answers or you're going to lose. This makes it hard to play a well rounded deck.

With this information I decided on my 3 big issues: control mirrors, Merfolk and Natural Order decks. The issue with playing control is that you need to be in Blue, and that is a huge liability against Merfolk. I have tried Firespout, Peacekeeper, Grim Lavamancer, Red Elemental Blast, Llawan, 8 Plow/Path maindeck, Moat, Humility, Wrath of God, Preacher, Engineered Plague and a slew of other less effective cards and I still cannot get my Merfolk matchup to a reasonable percentage (I feel I'm 30/70 on the bad side.) Merfolk is affordable, very good and straightforward to pilot (with the exception of Daze), making it a very popular deck. The more I twisted my maindeck and sideboard to beat Merfolk, the more my deck was soft to any other strategy in the format.

With a sad sigh, I started working on other decks.

My other favorite deck is Reanimator. I like attacking with big creatures that I cheated into play. Since Mental Misstep was printed I have not been brave enough to take Reanimator into a tournament.

At Motor City Comic Con a month ago, my good friend Jon Wasko picked up a foil Natural Order for 25 dollars.

Sitting in my apartment lamenting my inability to play a good deck I like, I remember that sweet Natural Order deal and start thinking. Natural Order is a very powerful spell, it puts a huge guy into play and most people can't win once it resolves. I play 4 Show and Tell in my Reanimator sideboard, and that is also a card that most people can't win through. I immediately get to work:

4 Natural Order
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Progenitus
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Daze

Since I'm playing NO and Show, and I hate Tarmogoyfs, I know there will be few creatures in my deck. I like 2 Dryad Arbors since I am leaning heavily on Natural Order. I originally played 4 Emrakul but I cut one since I drew them a lot. My plan is to play one of the namesake cards quickly and protect it with countermagic. To speed myself up I play:

4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Birds of Paradise
    3 Ancient Tomb

I liked this balance since I almost always had a mana guy on turn 1. Ancient Tomb was mostly there to be fast against decks that don't have blue, but also to ease the stress of Daze and Spell Pierce. Looking for a little more consistency I add:

4 Ponder
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

After a lot of testing (30 matches, give or take 5) I realize that Jace is not a good play against control decks, or aggro decks, or combo decks. I cut him for

2 Misdirection

These are there to act as additional Force of Wills, and to get silly with opposing Hymns or Thoughseizes. My final list looked like this:

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Tropical Island
    2 Dryad Arbor
    3 Ancient Tomb

4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Birds of Paradise
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Progenitus

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Daze
    2 Misdirection
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Natural Order
    4 Show and Tell

My sideboard strategy was hazy, and I didn't know exactly what to do. I heard a lot of people talking about how good Ichorid is, so I decide to play 4 Dredge slots:

4 Ravenous Trap

I like this card because with all of my permission spells I can protect it from Therapy. Most Dredge players expect Crypt/Relic/Spellbomb or Leyline and when they don't see those cards they'll start dredging. I like being able to hit Narcomoeba triggers, I think that's the best time to hit their graveyard. Ravenous Trap hits them hard the first time, and they have to play conservatively after they see it, which should buy me enough time to get a huge guy down.

I know I need to beat Merfolk.

3 Llawan, Cephalid Empress

She's not the best, but she can buy me the turn or two I need to attack with Progenitus and get their Llawan out of the way if they bring it in.

1 Wipe Away
    1 Beast Within

I like having bounce spells in my combo decks, and I wanted to try Beast Within to deal with things like Ensnaring Bridge, Jace, and whatever else stopped Progenitus or Emrakul. Knowing there is a lot of control running around:

3 Spell Pierce

This card can be effective against opposing Force of Will and Counterspell, and it can hit Jace, Moat, Humility, Natural Order and whatever else. I was set on this card.

1 Terastadon

He's cool to Natural Order for, I'm hoping someone will drop a lock piece and let NO resolve, so I can get this guy.

2 Submerge

I didn't think too much about this slot, I guess if too many Tarmogoyfs are attacking me I can get one off my ass for a turn. This also hits Knight of the Reliquary so it can't get Karakas quick. Oh wait, this hits Vendillion Clique a lot. Right.

A cool story

In (this video)(Will post videos later) you can see me agonizing over what to play. I like a lot of decks, so I choose 6 cards and mark them each with a six sided die

1) Mental Misstep (Merfolk)
    2) Mother of Runes (B/W Aggro)
    3) Natural Order (this deck)
    4) Standstill (U/W Landstill)
    5) Exhume (Reanimator)
    6) Utopia Sprawl (Enchantress)

These are the decks I have played, like playing and own most of the stuff for. As you can see I hit 3. I was happy about this. This was legitimate, I did not re-film rolling a die a bunch of times. My friends like to hold me to things and they were not letting me slide on this one.

For the rest of Saturday we hang around the venue, go back to the hotel and eat, and end up trading on the floor my my new buddy Kyle and his friends outside the doors after they locked up. I am stuck sleeping on the pull out couch, Christopher Walton doesn't sleep like usual and the light is on all night.

Saturday morning I eat some yogurt and two pieces of toast and hit the streets.

I'll list my opponents, their deck and wether I am on the play or draw.

Round 1 - Joe Cruz with Dredge, on the draw

He goes fast game 1, I stumble a bit and Flame Kin Zealot runs me over.

+4 Ravenous Trap - Some junk

All my notes say for game 2 is "Turn 3 Emrakul". I know he almost had enough damage with Bridges. Almost did not win the game.

Game 3 he mulls to 5, says go. I play land, Hierarch. He draws "go". I play Show and Tell, it's Emrakul vs. Stinkweed Imp. I attack, he goes to 4 (exalted), dredges up Narcomoeba and I trap it away.

At this point I'm ecstatic. Beating Dredge makes me very happy because I usually lose to it, and I'm also happy that so far I've made good metagame calls. I rush over to see my friends and tell them the exciting news.

Round 2 - Sam with BUG Control, on the draw

I normally lose rolls, in the 8 rounds I played in Louisville I won 2 rolls. This trend continues in Indy.

He opens on Sea, pass.

I play a fetch, pass.

He plays Verdant Catacombs and breaks it into Sea, casts Hymn to Tourach. It gets Dazed.

I play a land, pass.

He casts Dark Confidant. I think about Forcing it, but nah.

I untap, play a Tomb and cast Show and Tell. It resolves, I choose Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and he chooses Trygon Predator. He untaps and draws a card and I say "No no no!" pointing to Bob. He says "I can't beat that anyway" and scoops. He starts talking about how he's very tired. I'm happy because unless he forgot, he just told me that there are no Innocent Bloods in his deck.

I board in the two Submerge over something dumb. I always forget what I take out but a lot of times it's 1 Ponder and a card that I don't like the picture on. I get a little happy as I'm 2-0 on my metagame call.

Sam mulligans to 5, and doesn't look happy about these cards. I play a Ponder looking for something and he Mental Missteps it. I cast Misdirection, exiling (I forget) to make Mental Misstep target itself. He tells me a spell cannot target itself. I explain that once it's already on the stack I can be redirected at itself. 5 minutes later the head judge is explaining to me what a dumbass I am. Due to the Oracle text on Misdirection I just legally redirected Mental Misstep to Ponder. (edit)

He ends up capitalizing on this very well by getting Trygon Predator and two 4/5 Tarmogoyfs in play. I Natural Order just in time and the Hydra races his animals.

Round 3 - Charlie with NO RUG on the PLAY!!!!

I talk with Charlie for a bit, I find out he's from Kalamazoo. Being from Ann Arbor I find it weird I've never seen him at tournaments. He says he doesn't play very often so I get a little relaxed.

Charlie opens up with foil Wooded Foothhills into Forest, foil Noble Hierarch. I play a couple turns of Ponders and whatnot. He plays a black bordered Volcanic Island on turn 3 and passes. I begin to wonder how much of a fool I am for believing him. On my draw step he Cliques away Natural Order and sees no good counterspells. He casts Natural Order and I die.

I bring in the Submerges and think about Llawan, but I decide my plan is to go faster than him. I take out 3 Misstep for 3 Spell Pierce. My confidence thickens as for the third round in a row I play against something I was prepared for.

My game 2 notes are very short, they say "Turn 2 S+T Emrakul vs Clique (himself) Zenith."

I'm drawing blanks but I know he Cliqued himself to look for outs, I think he may have moved a Green Suns Zenith to the bottom. My life goes 19, 17, 15 and his goes 20, X. I think Ancient Tomb was used here.

OH YEAH....

During our match some guy down the table shouts "Is there an EMT or doctor someone is having a seizure!". Our whole table clears out one side (my opponents side). People keep talking about how everybody needs to walk away, but us smart people look at our Legacy cards and stay put. Someone even mentions how they've had stuff stolen. The kid was epileptic and he turned out alright, but what a strange thing to have happen. I'm glad the kid was fine.

Game 3 I cast turn 3 Show and Tell. He red blasts its, I Misstep he Missteps back. I screw around for a while and he gets Clique into play. If I recall correctly Clique cleared out a bad draw step for me and I cast Natural Order right in time, winning the game at 3 life.

Round 4 - Josh Schnider with Merfolk, on the play

He plays land, Cursecatcher. I play land, go. He does not play any other spells and attacks me a bunch of times. I'm annoyed that on 1 land and Cursecatcher he still has game against me. He eventually builds a team of hardasses and I die in a verry close game, with Emrakul coming in for lethal the next turn.

I bring in 3 Llawan.

Game 2 he has double Force of Will for my turn 3 Natural Order. I have Hierarch, Hierarch against his Mutavault, because he Forced away all his creatures. We exchange attacks, and I eventually fetch up Dryad Arbor and commit to this play. I end at 7 life, he dies to 4 swings from a 3/3 Forest.

In game 3 I mulligan for the first time. He opens on Lord of Atlantis. I get to turn 5, and have double Llawan and Natural Order. I need the turns so I Llawan. It gets in, and he promptly Dismembers it. Llawan 2 gets Forced and my Natural Order never happens. I wanted to draw a Force with Natural Order and get Llawan number 2 to stick, but I would not have enough mana to cast Llawan if I sacrificed a guy. Oh well.

Round 5 - Rob with B/W Aggro, on the draw

I ask what he lost to, he says he'll tell me after game 1. I ask what round it was, he says 2. Okay, so this guy isn't a complete scrub and shouldn't wreck my tiebreakers. He opens on Chrome Mox, land, Stoneforge Mystic which grabs Batterskull. He plays a Cabal Therapy naming Green Sun's Zenith (yay!). I Natural Order up Progenitus and we start to race. He casts a second Mystic grabbing Sword of Fire and Ice (oh shit). Luckily next turn I Show and Tell, Emrakul vs Batterskull. He already took 2 Progenitus hits. I had to work hard to win this one.

I bring in Terastadon over 1 Progenitus (this is always the switch). I think about Beast Within, but screw it.

He mulls to 6. Turn 2 he Wastelands my Dryad Arbor with Plains in play. Turn 3 I play Show and Tell, I choose Emrakul he chooses Umezawa's Jitte. He draws and concedes, showing me Gatekeeper of Malakir. I said I noticed the Plains and had zero fear of Gatekeeper. I was a little worried about Edict.

This is why Gatekeeper of Malakir doesn't belong in Legacy. Triple black in anything other than Mono Black is impossible.

Round 6 - Susan Zell with White Weenie (Craig Wescoe's girlfriend), on the play

We're at table 9. I sit down and hear us called into a feature match! Horray! I get over there and meet Susan. She's friends with Lauren Lee (probably why we're Featured) and we start to get ready. Then a judge comes over and says "I'm really sorry guys" (I have this on camera) and explains that they need this table to play out top 8 of the Invitational.

This is too bad, because my match against Susan was one of the best, maybe the best, of the day.

She opens on Plains, Chrome Mox, guys. She drops the Karakas (Oh no!), and has Stoneforge Mystic to get Batterskull. She takes 2 hits from the double exalted Progenitus and kills me.

I bring in Beast Within, Terastadon and Spell Pierce over Misstep.

Game 2 I get turn 4 Emrakul. She has 2 lands. She untaps and I say "This is where you cast Tariff" and she casts Tariff. Crap. My notes completely stop here, but I won this game with her taking an Emrakul swing. I was at 10.

Game 3 she deals with an Emrakul and a Progenitus. She has two Kor Duelists and Bonesplitter. I get beat up by these guys for a bit and finally Beast Within the Bonesplitter (this is sub-optimal but it takes 3 damage off my ass). I reach for my beast token, but she puts a six sided die on the table.

The board develops into me with Progenitus and her with the guys that makes Equipment free to equip, Duelist and that beast token. I am on the defense with Emrakul, Natural Order in the nick of time, and I'm at 3 life. We have 9 minutes on the clock.

She sits in this game state for 5 minutes playing with Duelist, free equipment guy, a Blinkmoth Nexus and this six sided die. I told her at 9 minutes that this was probably the last turn of the game, and I understood that she needed to do a lot of thinking. At 5 minutes I say that we do need to start advancing the game state.

She does a lot more thinking with her creatures, wether or not to animate the Nexus and how to equip. She is 100% dead next turn. She moves the six sided die out of her way, thinks and concedes. He friend then reminds her that the die is actually a 3/3 beast, and she is sad. I had figured out in about 90 seconds that I was dead on board, but I have a fantastic poker face. I shake her hand and thank her for the great match. This is why I play Magic.

Round 7 - Kitt with BUG Still, on the draw.

Kitt and I talk , he is X-0-2. I think for a second, and realize that he will not concede to me because we both need to win out for top 8 either way. I have the slight advantage of being able to draw the last round, but I rationalize that Kitt does not care about this, so I say nothing.

In game 1 he Innocent Bloods away a Dryad Arbor. I'm happy. I Daze a Standstill, and cast Natural Order on turn 4. He plays a Jace, and brainstorms. I attack him. He brainstorms again and we move to game 2.

I bring in the Spell Pierces over something that isn't Misstep. Terastadon comes in.

Game 2 goes slow, and he Thoughtseizes me on turn 5, which was mostly bad for him. He casts Jace on 6, somehow I dealt with it and Showed and Told Emrakul into play, against his land. He untaps and casts Damnation. Holy cow!

Game 3 I mulligan for the second time in the tournament, because my hand has 3 Emrakuls in it. I shoot a quick Natural Order which gets Diabolically Edicted. I Show him Emrakul, he shows me Jace. Vendillion Clique beats the hell out of me while I stumble under constant Fatesealing. At the end of the game he has Innocent Blood, Edict, Damnation in his hand.

I was annoyed with how well this guy was prepared for Natural Order, but sometimes other people make good metagame calls too.

Round 8 - Scott with Affinity, on the play

Scott and I talk, he says this is his first legacy tournament and he wanted to play something ease. I start to suspect Belcher, Zoo, Elves and MUD.

My first turn is a land, he plays Vault, Signal Pest. I untap and cast Show and Tell, it's Progenitus vs. Etched Champion. He casts Cranial Plating on turn 2, but dies. He had outs to this situation, but his inexperience cost him. It happens.

I bring in Beast Within, Terastadon.

I have a slow hand. On turn 3 he Thoughtseizes me, I brainstorm and keep Ponder in my hand, thinking he'll take a mana guy. He is smart and takes Ponder. He has Memnite, Frogmite. I Force a Signal Pest. Turn 4 I rip Show and Tell and get Emrakul down. My life is at 6 from Mem/Frog beats, and he casts Galvanic Blast, I start to scratch out 6, but I look at my hand and Misstep his spell. He goes from 18 to 3, and the game is over.

Round 9 - Kory McDuffie with U/W Control, on the draw

Kory sits down talking about how Legacy is the most tilting format ever, even more so than Poker. He explains how the better play will always shine because the power level of the cards allows for much less variance. I explain that I have lost and won at Magic and Poker several hundred times and I don't get upset about it any more. He calls me an angel.

He opens on Colonnade, and then Arid Mesa into Tundra. On turn 3 he taps out for Crucible of Worlds. I cast Natural Order with Daze backup, but it just resolves. He goes from 17 to 7 to -3.

I bring in Spell Pierce and Terastadon over Misstep and Prog.

He mulligans to 6. Turn 2 Meddling Mage comes down and names Natural Order. I go a little slow and build to 5 mana with 2 creaures while he beats me up using Mage and a 3/3 Factory. Show and Tell, Emrakul, double Spell Pierce are my hand. I cast the Show and Tell with double blue up. He says it resolves. I choose Emrakul, he chooses nothing.

He untaps, and throws Wrath of God at me. I Pierce it and he extends the hand.

Some of this match is on camera, and you can see his hand here at Wrath, Wrath, Jace. I'm glad that U/W made it this far but I'm also glad I didn't play U/W this time.

Since my breakers are 55.xx% I end up 21st on with a record of x-2. I'm disappointed because last time x-2 put me in the top 16, but this tournament had way more people. I like seeing my name on the website, and people respect top 16 finishes more.

My teammate Jacob Marek and I both collect our 50 dollars, and head out. On the way home we stop at Perkins Family Restaurant and have the first good food all weekend. Our waiter, Esom, is a great guy offering us advice like "you can have 'awesome' without 'Esom'" and "you can't have 'threesome' without 'Esom". This guy was great. Perkins is the best.

This tournament was going to be my last competitive Legacy event, mostly because I can't play Control anymore and Merfolk is everywhere and can't ever be banned. My performance here has me wondering wether or not to play in Cincinnati, and what to play.

If I played this deck again I would leave the main deck alone. The list is so tight I don't feel there is a lot of room to wiggle. The Misdirections were the weakest cards all day, so they could potentially become another Daze and something, or two other cards. Everything else is optimized.

The sideboard was a mess. The traps can get cut if you don't expect Dredge. Llawan should stay, but Merfolk players have a minimum of 10 slots in their board to do whatever, so Llawan isn't going to make the cut any more. Spell Pierce is the most legitimate card in the board. Beast Within was alright. It's there to hit Karakas and other random things like Moat, Humility et. al. Wipe Away does the same thing. Usually under Moat or Humility people will let you have big guys. Split Second should be enough to kill them.

Submerge buys you a little time and deals with Knight of the Reliquary very well. Terastadon is just a Natural Order guy to deal with problems presented to you. I'm going to toy around with Show and Telling Elesh Norn against Merfolk.

Thanks for reading, and maybe I'll see some of you in Cinci!

-Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick; 06-08-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Did not post videos, error in round 2 game 2.
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Re: Star City Open Indianapolis 7-2 21st On Bad Tiebreakers

You suck at posting videos/pictures.

I also probably sucked at filming the last match because it was boring and your opponent had nothing. Good thing we didnt see those 3 girls walking around or I would have completely ADD'd out.

How often did you find yourself with a Natural Order and no creatures to sacrifice?

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Boo on the tiebreakers :/

Also bigger boo on losing a control player :((((
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

No boo's, because I get to use his stuff.

Like Jace's, Moat, etc etc.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Round 7 - Kitt with BUG Still, on the draw.

Game 3 I mulligan for the second time in the tournament, because my hand has 3 Emrakuls in it. I shoot a quick Natural Order which gets Diabolically Edicted. I Show him Emrakul, he shows me Jace. Vendillion Clique beats the hell out of me while I stumble under constant Fatesealing. At the end of the game he has Innocent Blood, Edict, Damnation in his hand.
    Show and Tell can't put Planeswalkers into the battlefield, unless you meant he casts Jace the next turn.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    During our match some guy down the table shouts "Is there an EMT or doctor someone is having a seizure!". Our whole table clears out one side (my opponents side). People keep talking about how everybody needs to walk away, but us smart people look at our Legacy cards and stay put. Someone even mentions how they've had stuff stolen. The kid was epileptic and he turned out alright, but what a strange thing to have happen. I'm glad the kid was fine.
    Speaking of which, I was the opponent of said guy. I was playing merfolk(2-0) and had just barely beaten his dragon stompy deck game 1, and I suppose he took his reduction of life to 0 a bit too seriously. The guy was a friendly legacy player and it was extremely unfortunate that he had to end his day there that way. That crazy experience may have left me more than a little rattled causing me to go 0-3 from there (it couldn't POSSIBLY have been MY fault, lol)

Tough luck on those bad tiebreakers, I always seem to be in the same boat as well. I hope you make it to cincy, I know i will be there and it too will be a blast.

This is Charlie from round 3. Glad to see you moved on and posted a good record, congrats. I wasnt sandbagging, I really dont get a chance to play much these days, but I never said I was a rookie :) I still have a couple cool cards laying around from my vintage days. Sad to see that you are not enjoying legacy anymore, I really had a good time at my first SCG event, and I hope to get to more. I hope you change your mind!

Congrats again!

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    How often did you find yourself with a Natural Order and no creatures to sacrifice?
    I almost never find myself without a green guy. This is mostly because I added the 2 Birds of Paradise and the second Dryad Arbor. The second Dryad is due to the heavy play of Wasteland, and the fact that a lot of the time you have to fetch it on the opponents end step so you can tap it, but also expose it to a Wasteland. As you can see, I also won on the Dryad beat plan 1 game. The other thing is running 8 fetchlands to get those Arbors. This makes 16 cards that get a green guy, which is plenty. I think in the whole day it happened zero times, but I'll say one in case I forgot.
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Boo on the tiebreakers :/

Also bigger boo on losing a control player :((((
    I'll start playing control again when they make cards that can deal with aggro decks. :D

Team Bad Guys.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Show and Tell can't put Planeswalkers into the battlefield, unless you meant he casts Jace the next turn.
    He did not put Jace in from the Show and Tell, he cast it on his next turn. Which is basically the same thing. That said I do read my cards and don't let people cheat, I even went so far as to remind 2 of my opponents that they also get to put a card into play. Because I'm a nice guy!

Team Bad Guys.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    Speaking of which, I was the opponent of said guy. I was playing merfolk(2-0) and had just barely beaten his dragon stompy deck game 1, and I suppose he took his reduction of life to 0 a bit too seriously. The guy was a friendly legacy player and it was extremely unfortunate that he had to end his day there that way. That crazy experience may have left me more than a little rattled causing me to go 0-3 from there (it couldn't POSSIBLY have been MY fault, lol)

Tough luck on those bad tiebreakers, I always seem to be in the same boat as well. I hope you make it to cincy, I know i will be there and it too will be a blast.
    I hope I'm never paired against you!

Team Bad Guys.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Davinci View Post
    This is Charlie from round 3. Glad to see you moved on and posted a good record, congrats. I wasnt sandbagging, I really dont get a chance to play much these days, but I never said I was a rookie :) I still have a couple cool cards laying around from my vintage days. Sad to see that you are not enjoying legacy anymore, I really had a good time at my first SCG event, and I hope to get to more. I hope you change your mind!

Congrats again!
    Yeah, I didn't mean to offend or short sell you. I just remembered you saying you don't play much and coupled with your comment that it was your first SCG I assumed you were a new player, at least to Legacy. Then I saw your shiny, shiny cards and I knew this was going to be a real match.

Team Bad Guys.

Thread Information