Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bazaar of Moxen 5 - Top 4 with LEDless Dredge

Jun 2007
    Germany

Bazaar of Moxen 5 - Top 4 with LEDless Dredge

So, here is a little tournamentreport from Bazaar of Moxen 5. I haven't written down all the things so there might be wrong information in here ;). In Legacy I played the following Dredge-list:

3 Ichorid
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    3 Goglari Thug
    1 Darkblast
    4 Putrid Imp
    4 Tireless Tribe
    4 Narcomoeba

2 Dread Return
    4 Careful STudy
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Breakthrough
    4 Bridge from Below

4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Cephalid Coliseum
    3 Tarnished Citadel

SB:
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Realm Razer
    1 Iona
    1 Hypnotist
    4 Claim
    4 Grudge
    2 Ray
    1 Darkblast

In Vintage I played MUD.

Legacy-Trial on Friday, 13th May 2011:

Round 1 vs. Alex Delgado from Spain with Team America:
    G1: He's playing Mental Misstep countered my Discard-Outlet. After that he just died.
    G2+3: He knows how to play the hate. And he has got plenty of it. I died twice.
    1-2
    0-1-0

Round 2 vs. Rafal Tarnowski from Poland with Mono U Merfolk:
    G1: He died without doing anything.
    G2: The game went back and forth. He managed to win it.
    G3: On turn 3 I had a filled grave and he died to Zombie-Tokens.
    2-1
    1-1-0

Round 3 vs. Benjamin Kreis from Germany with GW Maverick:
    G1: He started first turn with Mother of Runes. I played a Land and darkblasted it (actually I said something similiar to „now I'm going to bang your mother“ because „Knall“ of Darkblast in german can mean something like that ;)). After that there isn't much he can do. He died.
    G2: He has many dude and graveyard-removal. I died.
    G3: I'm fast, he's dead.
    2-1
    2-1-0

Round 4 vs. Romain Sacaze from France with Lands:
    G1: Luckily I'm faster than him and he died.
    G2: He had everything, I died.
    G3: I'm dredging a bit and found an Realm Razer, but haven't got 3 creatures für Dread Return because of his Tabernacle. He has got one Glacial Chasm in his hand which he played after I saw it with Therapy. Actually I think this was an mistake because the next turn I could reanimate the Razer and win.
    2-1
    3-1-0

Round 5 vs. Benjamin Savoy from Switzerland with Next Level Tempo Thresh Urg:
    G1: He wanted to stop the assault with an Grim Lavamancer. He failed.
    G2: Double Goyf, I'm dead.
    G3: I just can dredge a little bit, but he died to that.
    2-1
    4-1-0

Round 6 vs. Juan Jose Valero from Spain with Big Zoo:
    G1: Breakthrough 1, Breakthrough 0 in one turn. After that I've got an 22/22-Troll and 12 Tokens. He scoops.
    G2: He has got fast Goyfs and GY-hate, but I managed to win this.
    2-0
    5-1-0

Round 7 vs. David Champagne from France with Mono U Merfolk:
    G1: He has no counters and dies fast.
    G2: He has got a fast start with 2 Relics, so I die.
    G3: He activated his Relic totally wrong and just dies in two turns.
    2-1
    5-1-0

Round 8 vs. Johannes Gehrer from Austria with Canadian Thresh:
    G1: He can't do anything about losing.
    G2: He know what he has to do with his hate. Unfortunately he has got fast creatures.
    G3: See game 2.
    1-2
    6-2-0

So I took the 12th place, a friend of mine with 6-2-0 and the exact same 75 cards the 9th place out of 144.

Legacy-Mainevent, 14th May 2011:

Round 1 vs. Mischa Dettwiller from Switzerland with Urw Counterbalance:
    I managed to win somehow both games.
    2-0
    1-0-0

Round 2 vs. Olivier Wallerand from France with Rb Goblins:
    G1: Many Zombie-Tokens in the first few turns took him down.
    G2: I blocked his first turn Lackey with an Putrid Imp. I dicarded a Troll, dredged, activated an Coliseum. Two turns later he scoops to Elesh Norn.
    2-0
    2-0-0

Round 3 vs. Christophe Gregoir from Belgium with Mono U Merfolk:
    G1+2: He hasn't got any hate, but many counters and creatures both games. I can't win against this.
    0-2
    2-1-0

Round 4 vs. Raphael Thebault from France with GW Zenith Aggro / Maverick:
    G1: He can't do anything and dies fast.
    G2: Among other creatures he got an Knight online which brought him the Bojuka Bog. I'm dead.
    G3: He found his hate too late so he loses.
    2-1
    3-1-0

Round 5 gg. Alberto Varela from Italy with Team America.
    G1: He can't do anything against my Zombies.
    G2: Goyf, Tomstalker and hate, I'm dead.
    G3: He played the black Spellbomb. I dredged, found an Moeba and let the trigger go an the stack. He let it resolve. In my End of Turn-step he activated the Spellbomb. That mistake not removing my Moeba while it's still on the stack had an huge impact and he died.
    2-1
    4-1-0

Round 6 vs. Gilles Gasiot from France with ANT:
    G1: I kept a fast hand and let him discard all his Tutors. He died.
    G2: Both of us aren't able to enable for a few turns. He played Grim Tutor and showed me the card he tutored. So in the next turn I ripped his tutored LED from his hand along with each other nonland-card. He drew an Ad Nauseam and played it. Being on 6 life he died to it.
    2-0
    5-1-0

Round 7 vs. Noham Maubert from France with Ur(g) Painter:
    G1: He can't do anything, he's dead.
    G2: He begins, I slowdredged. He plays Land, Ancient Tomb, Painter, Grindstone. So, I have to find the removal. I drew (!) a card; it was Ancient Grudge. I looked at my board, just my grave was filled with one Troll. I looked at my hand: City of Brass. ASS,a big misplay, scoop.
    G3: I'm keeping a hand with Dread Return, Grudge, Random and 4 lands. If I mulligan the chance of getting a hand that is worse is quite high, so I kept this. If he has got an slow start, I could win this. Luckily he has. I grudged his first Painter and played an Putrid Imp which was missteped. Next turn I hardcast Dread Return on it. I still haven't found any Dredger. He plays Painter, Grindstone in one turn. I flashbacked the Grudge in my turn after playing a Therapy on Force of Will. The turn after he drew the third one. Oh, I'm sooo dead. And the I drew... Breakthrough. Okay, Breakthrough for 1 finding Dredge 5, Dredge 4, Coliseum, Study. I kept the Coliseum, activated the Coliseum I had already in play, dredge 5, 4, 6. In my last dredge in found the Grudge, therapied him and then killed his guy. I won that game. Phew.
    2-1
    6-1-0

Round 8 vs. Dominik Piatkowski from Poland with ANT:
    G1: I start with Dicardoutlet und saw mana Rituals, one Tendrils and two Tutors. In the next turn I started to rip his Tutors apart. Then I managed to force him to play Tendrils for 10. He dies after two turns.
    G2: I kept an greedy hand with Troll, Thug, Stinkweed Imp, 2 Gemstone Mine, 1 Coliseum and 1 Random. He played Petal, Ponder and haven't found a land. I drew Breakthrough. Oh, hi there :). I started to slowdredge with an Troll. He played Petal, Ponder, found an Land and played Thoughtseize picking the Breakthrough. I dredge, found an Thug, played a land and the Therapy on him. He played an Brainstorm in response. After thought some time I named Cabal Ritual and I hit. He has one land and two Dark Rituals left in his hand. In his turn he doesn't do anything. I dredge for 4 and haven't found a Dredger. Luckily he thoughtseized my Breakthrough, otherwise I would have been fizzled. I played a Land, an Thug, sacrificed the Thug to therapy his Dark Rituals and put an Discardoutlet on top. I drew it, played it, dicarded all my Dredger, activated the Coliseum and exploded. I reanimated an Hypnotist and after I let him discard his whole hand, he scooped.
    2-0
    7-1-0

Round 9 vs. Ruben Gonzalez from Spain with Thopter Combo / Caw Go-Hybrid:
    G1: I'm 16th, he's 15th so wie couldn't draw to get into Top 16.
    I managed to get a good start and he played Stoneforge Mystic for Batterskull which attacked me once in the next turns. He has two cards in his hand left, so I flashbacked a Therapy with Ichorid to geht two Token. In response he returned the Batterskull to his hand, his Token died and my Bridges were removed. So I named Batterskull and I saw one Squadron Hawk and a Sword of Fire and Ice. I therapied him for Hawk, the Sword didn't matter because in the next turn an 12/12 Troll hit the battlefield. He lost this game.
    G2: He played an Mystic for Sword of the Meek and a few turns after that, he had the Thoptercombo online with two untapped lands. I have got 3-4 Bridges in my Grave and 3 Ichorids in play. I wanted to end my turn to get a few tokens and he responded with saccing the Sword to his Foundry. That was okay for me, but not for him. He thought that the Bridges were removed. After I explained to him that the Sword isn't a creature and he can't sacc tokens to the Foundry he scooped.
    2-0
    8-1-0

After that I'm 2nd out of 630-690 players. I like :).

Top 16 vs. Edouard Lecocq from France with Mono U Merfolk:
    G1: He's just dead.
    G2: I threw this game away. I dredged an Stinkweed Imp and casted it. In the same moment I knew that this was a huge mistake. He forced it, sacced the Cursecatcher to his Force, paid for the Cursecatcher, removed my 3 Bridges and my 3 Ichorids just died without profit. I hate brainfarts...
    G3: He can't do anything to prevent his annihilation.
    2-1
    9-1-0

Top 8 vs. Rodrigo Tagores from Spain with Sneak Show:
    G1+2: In both games I'm too fast and dominating for his big creatures.
    2-0
    10-1-0

Top 4 vs. Oliver Salten from Germany with Reanimator:
    G1: Reanimate Blazing Archon, I'm dead.
    G2: Leyline, reanimate Blazing Archon, I'm dead. It's such a bad matchup.
    0-2
    10-2-0

I placed 4th in the tournament and I'm really happy with the decks perfomance (16-4-0 after the printing of Mental Misstep).

In Vintage I played MUD to an 6-3-0 finish, so unluckily I haven't won the price for the best player in both mainevents. But I'm really happy with an 22-7-0 finish at the weekend.

All Germans in our car (4+1 Norwegian guy) played Dredge in Legacy. Here is the overall score:

Me Trial: 6-2-0
    Me Main: 10-2-0
    -> 16-4-0

Timo Trial: 6-2-0
    Timo Main: 6-2-1
    -> 12-4-1

Julian Main: 0-4-drop
    -> 0-4

Dennis Main: 1-2-drop
    -> 1-2

--> 29-14-1

I hoped you enjoyed reading, even if the matchreport is a bit sloppy because I haven't taken many notes during the games :).
    Last edited by Brot_Ohne_Kruste; 05-28-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    GP Ghent 2012 - 37th out of 1,345
    Bazaar of Moxen VI 2012 - Vintage - Winner out of 337
    Maintal Legacy April 2012 - Top 8 out of 127
    Bazaar of Moxen V 2011 - Legacy - Top 4 out of 633
    Bazaar of Moxen V 2011 - Legacy last chance trial - Top 16 out of 146
    GP Gothenburg 2010 Side Event Legacy - Top 16 out of 132

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: Bazaar of Moxen 5 - Top 4 with LEDless Dredge

Thank you very much for the report. Rounds 7 and 8 were alone worth the read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Mecum omnes plangite
    Aug 2009
    45°33'2"52 N, 09°20'41"28 E

Quote Originally Posted by Brot_Ohne_Kruste View Post
    I hoped you enjoyed reading, even if the matchreport is a bit sloppy because I haven't taken many notes during the games
    Short but insightful - seeing Dredge putting up this kind of results makes me proud of being a "bad deck lover", although I think it's a pretty powerful one (it's also quite funny to play otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it). Thanks for the report and props for planning an only dredgers journey: you should definitely call yourselves something like "Dredge Expedition Forces".
    0.05.14 [Digital Devil] <Digital Devil> Ach! Hans, run! It's the Tarmogoyf!
    0.05.17 [Hans (GER)] <Hans (GER)> ...
    0.05.20 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

What did you win?

-Matt

Mecum omnes plangite
    Aug 2009
    45°33'2"52 N, 09°20'41"28 E

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    What did you win?
    A Black Lotus, I think.
    0.05.14 [Digital Devil] <Digital Devil> Ach! Hans, run! It's the Tarmogoyf!
    0.05.17 [Hans (GER)] <Hans (GER)> ...
    0.05.20 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Can you comment on when you use your various sideboard cards?
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jun 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Devil View Post
    A Black Lotus, I think.
    Yeah, a pretty beaten one with a signature of Richard Garfield; written with a biro :D!

Can you comment on when you use your various sideboard cards?
    Here are the changes:
    - Team America: -1 Tribe, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, (-1 Darkblast); +3 Ancient Grudge, (+1 Ray)
    - Merfolk: -2 Dread Return, -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough; +3 Ancient Grudge, +1 Darkblast
    - GW Maverick: -1 Dread Return, -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Thug, -1 Breakthrough; +3 Grudge, +1 Darkblast (Hierarch, Mother)
    - Lands: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Darkblast, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Ichorid; +2 Ancient Grudge, +1 Hypnotist, +1 Realm Razer
    - Next Level Thresh Urg: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, -1 Thug; +1 Darkblast (Lavamancer), +3 Grudge
    - Big Zoo: Like GW Maverick I think
    - Canadian Thresh: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return; +3 Ancient Grudge
    - Countertop: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return; +3 Ancient Grudge
    - Rb Goblin: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Thug, -1 Ichorid; +1 Elesh Norn, +1 Darkblast, +2 Grudge
    - ANT: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Darkblast; +1 Hypnotist, +1 Iona
    - Ur Painter: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, -1 Darkblast, +4 Grudge
    - Caw Go with Topther Foundry Combo: -1 Putrid Imp, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, -1 Thug; +1 Darkblast, +3 Grudge
    - Sneak Show: -1 Tribe, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, -1 Darkblast; +3 Grudge, +1 Ray
    - Ub Reanimator: -1 Tribe, -1 Breakthrough, -1 Dread Return, -1 Darkblast; +3 Nature's Claim, +1 Grudge

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

So why realm razor over magus of the moon?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jimirynk View Post
    So why realm razor over magus of the moon?
    Realm Razer can be used against basic lands, i.e. side against Enchantress or High Tide
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I'm definitely getting myself a Realm Razer in the side now.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mental Misstep your....oh wait
    Dec 2010
    Boston

Is Realm Razer really better than Terastodon? They rarely have more then 3 problem lands out and high tide you have iona and hypnotist for. On top of that Terastodon can target nonlands as well as give you extra beef for your army.
    "Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Oh, hi there
    Hallo, schöne Frau!

Great Job , almost getting there with Dredge. I agree with chosing Razer over Terastodon but do you think, in a meta where you face reanimator and Sneak Show, e.g. al stuff with Archon a lot, would it be worth to cut the second Ray for an Angel of Dispair?
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

Jun 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by chags View Post
    Is Realm Razer really better than Terastodon? They rarely have more then 3 problem lands out and high tide you have iona and hypnotist for. On top of that Terastodon can target nonlands as well as give you extra beef for your army.
    Let's imaging following situation: The opponent has Mox Diamond, Exploration and 4 Lands (even 3 would do) on the board, one of them is Tabernacle. Life from the Loam on his Hand/in his graveyard. Terastodon just destroys the Tabernacle and 2 other permanents. Great, then he can play LftL and you've got the same situation as before; he even got 3 3/3-Token. Realm Razer comes in handy, if you aren't that fast and you need to buy time and that is always the case against Landsdecks.

Great Job , almost getting there with Dredge. I agree with chosing Razer over Terastodon but do you think, in a meta where you face reanimator and Sneak Show, e.g. al stuff with Archon a lot, would it be worth to cut the second Ray for an Angel of Dispair?
    Sneak Show is playing Archon? :D Now you got me, I don't know the format. Sure, if your Meta is Blazing Archon infected, play Angel of Despair. But I wouldn't cut the Ray, I would rather cut one of the other Dread Return-targets. And which one to cut depents on your Meta :).

Oct 2009
    Hamburg, Germany

Hey,

thanks a lot for the great report and your boarding plan. And mad pros to your finish!

Just a short question: Have you tested boarding in Iona and/or Elesh Norn vs Merfolk?

I think i would try something like this:

- 1 Putrid Imp
    - 2 Breakthrough
    - 1 Careful Study / Thug

against:

+ 1 Elesh Norn
    + 3 Grudge
    currently playing:

Maverick, Dredge, TES..: still lot of work to do...

- anonyme Weltstars -

Jun 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PaRa View Post
    Hey,

thanks a lot for the great report and your boarding plan. And mad pros to your finish!

Just a short question: Have you tested boarding in Iona and/or Elesh Norn vs Merfolk?

I think i would try something like this:

- 1 Putrid Imp
    - 2 Breakthrough
    - 1 Careful Study / Thug

against:

+ 1 Elesh Norn
    + 3 Grudge
    Thank you :).

No, I haven't. I haven't tested with the cards of NPH at all. But friends of mine tested the Merfolk-MU for about 5 hours and they said that I board like that, so i did it ;). I think relying too much an Elesh Norn and getting your Dread Return countered in this matchup is crucial. But as I said, I haven't tested it yet :).

Oct 2009
    Hamburg, Germany

Your boarding plan vs Merfok goes more towards the consistency plan which i usually also prefer but i donno why but i think having a card which in 99% of the cases says "i win" vs merfolk when resolved can't be that bad :)
    currently playing:

Maverick, Dredge, TES..: still lot of work to do...

- anonyme Weltstars -

Jun 2007
    Germany

Here is my response I posted in the Ichorid-thread regarding this question. I hope it's satisfying :):

Boarding out DR against fish is interesting, are you just worried about them having too many counters? I haven't had too many problems with fish countering DR thanks to cabal therapy. Both Iona and Elesh Norn pretty much finish the game immediately against fish which makes them very tempting to bring in for this match up.

EDIT: Do you just plan on beating them by recurring ichorids and getting zombies? That seems slow especially considering you don't run firestorm, I think fish can sometimes swarm faster then the ichorid plan can.
    The problem of Dread Return is that they have got Cursecatcher. It is really bad, if you flashback Dread Return and all you get is just a lousy 7/7 creature with evasion. Sure, it's a 3 turn clock, they can't play any spells anymore and you may have Ichorids, but now imagine what will happen, if the Dread Return is countered. Yeah, you sacced 3 creatures for nothing. And that's the problem I'm seeing. You can't rely on those cards in a matchup where you get swarmed, even with Iona on blue because of Aether Vial. They just need 2-3 Lords and you're most likely done. That's why I would board out the Dread Returns. With Ichorids and Tokens to block a few guys it worked perfectly for me, even before NPH was released.

Mental Misstep your....oh wait
    Dec 2010
    Boston

Let's imaging following situation: The opponent has Mox Diamond, Exploration and 4 Lands (even 3 would do) on the board, one of them is Tabernacle. Life from the Loam on his Hand/in his graveyard. Terastodon just destroys the Tabernacle and 2 other permanents. Great, then he can play LftL and you've got the same situation as before; he even got 3 3/3-Token. Realm Razer comes in handy, if you aren't that fast and you need to buy time and that is always the case against Landsdecks.

This makes sense, thanks :)
    "Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

May 2011
    Brazil

What about the sideboarding against Affinity?
    +4 Grudge
    -2 DR, -1 Darkblast, -1 Putrid ?

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

+4 Grudge +1 Darkblast -1 Study -1 Breakthrough-2 DR -1 Thug?
    Why side out Blast?
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

Thread Information