Thread: [Casual] Mono White Enchantress

too poor to play legacy.
    Mar 2011
    seattle, wa

[Casual] Mono White Enchantress

INTRO:

i've always been a sucker for mono-colored decks, and i always tell every that if i can amass a cycle of five mono-colored casual decks (one for each color, duh) that i'll be the happiest magic player.

here's the list for the mono-white deck that i've assembled and fallen in love with. it's certainly not good enough to stand up to ultra-competitive gameplay, but for what it is, it's pretty mean.

again, not the most original idea, but i (like many others i've come to find) love the enchantress archetype, and here's my take on it. try to think of it as a white weenie enchantress hybrid.

DECKLIST:

creatures
    4x elite vanguard
    3x goldenglow moth
    4x wall of omens
    4x kor spiritdancer
    4x mesa enchantress

offensive auras
    4x holy strength
    4x hyena umbra
    4x nimbus wings
    3x daybreak coronet

defensive auras
    4x pentarch ward
    4x pacifism

lands
    4x sejiri steppe
    4x arid mesa
    10x plains

(PSUEDO-)INEVITABLE CHANGES:

- once i can get my hands on a few figure of destinys, they'll most likely replace the goldenglow moths even though they lack the flying that this deck loves to have.

- i've been too lazy and apathetic is look for/order a fourth daybreak coronet, but once i can find one, it'll almost definitely become a four of. that card is absolutely nuts, and it turns creatures that aren't kor spiritdancer into threats. it's inherent drawback is a joke in this deck.

- i've really wanted to run isamaru, hound of konda as a one or two of, just for the lulz. when i get my hands on him, he's in.

- because of my fetish for non-basic lands, i'm going to replace a plains with a eiganjo castle even if it's useless (only until i get isamaru!) because it's my deck and i can do whatever the fuck i want.

DECK STRATEGY & CARD EXPLANATIONS:

the mana curve on this baby is it's biggest asset: with nineteen auras at two or less converted manacost, drawing an overabundance of cards off of kor spiritdancer and mesa enchantress is never a problem. it also allows me to run a land count of only eighteen without very many problems. so long as i can hit my first three land drops, the deck takes off like a mf'ing jet plane.

obviously, the plan is to drop as many kor spiritdancers as possible, load them up with as many auras as possible, and swing for the fences.

i know there are a ton of these lists floating around on various forums and deck-building websites, but i feel like the optimal construction is composed of cheap, effective auras to help them all cantrip, as well as beat face.

holy strength is prime example of this. along side nimbus wings i have eight ways to turn elite vanguard into a 3/3 swinging on turn two, and that play is extremely common. nimbus wings is almost exclusively in the deck to give kor spiritdancer the evasion she needs to swing unopposed. the power/toughness buff is pretty nice too, and it's fairly well budgeted as a two-drop. hyena umbra is a beast, and in my opinion, a vastly underrated card. first strike, +1/+1, and totem armor all at the cost of a single plains? yes, please. i think it's one of the most over-budgeted cards to see print recently. daybreak coronet needs no explanation. if you want to know why i chose to include it, read the card's text.

defensively, i chose pentarch ward over flickering ward (or whatever it's called) because of the extra card draw. the card advantage from dropping the ward with an enchantress on the table is usually enough to set the deck over the edge and push it's aggro into overdrive. pacifism is simply the simplest, easiest, most cost effective (enchantment) way to get enemy creatures out of the way.

creature-wise, i don't think i need very much explanation there. goldenglow moth is my shakiest choice, but like i said earlier in the write-up, she's soon to be replaced. i'll probably end up missing the flying though, and life-gain isn't too shabby either. i stand by my decision to include the bug in the first place. elite vanguard is an efficient early threat, and almost always swings for three on turn two. [cards]wall of omens is a powerhouse, especially if i can make it fly, and helps accelerate my card draw in the event that i need to dig for an enchantress. kor spiritdancer and mesa enchantress are the core of the deck, and stupid obvious.

sejiri steppe are there to give my daners protection from whatever they need to swing for unblockable damage, though they very rarely do their job. i might drop the count to two or three. arid mesa are there to help thin the deck a little bit so i don't draw into plains and cut of my draw chain.

PROBLEMS & HOLES:

- some games, i dig and dig and dig and dig for a pentarch ward but never see one, and my spiritdance gets rocked by removal. totem armor helps with this, but it's still pretty hard to protect my beaters sometimes. this is the ongoing curse of mono-colored decks.

- if i don't see an enchantress early on, the deck's back-up aggro plan is really slow. i've won games without spiritdancers, but probably just because i got really lucky on my other draws, and my opponent was either dumb, or unlucky.

--------

comments and criticisms are, as always, greatly appreciated. if you can think of any cards that look like they should be auto-includes, or cool playtest fodder, don't hesitate to toss 'em my way.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

Re: [Casual] Mono White Enchantress

Cool idea. I'm just going to present a few thoughts and card testing suggestions. I don't have a decklist, yet, but I will. My suggestions are for the sake of improving the viability of the deck -- I realize you want to construct your deck on your own terms and for whatever reasons you have in mind, so this may or may not be useful to you.

First, I think this deck really, really needs mana acceleration. Without green, this is difficult. I think you should run Chrome Mox, it is your best bet. Getting an enchantress effect online a full turn earlier is really powerful. It is worth the card disadvantage. Mana acceleration is not just amazing in the early game, but it also allows you to play an extra mana-source each turn when you have the enchantress-ball rolling.

Second, I'd drop non-basics. Competitive Enchantress plays very few non-basics to great advantage -- avoiding wasteland is very important. You don't have good -competitive- reasons to play anything but basics (although, 1-2 Karakas or Reliquary Tower is possibly reasonable).

Third, I really question your creature choices. Let your enchantments improve your win-cons (or act as win-cons), but play creatures which have real effects. There are two sorts of viable routes I see: (1) Play 'enchantment' synergy creatures or (2) play general disruptive creatures (like DnT).

(1)
    Tethered Griffin
    Auratog
    Auramancer
    Monk Idealist
    Cantivore
    Academy Rector
    Lumithread Field

(2)
    Goldmeadow Harrier
    Leonin Relic-Warder
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Mother of Runes (you often don't get to name White effectively -- but it does protect your Enchantress' and make other impressive plays -- a damn fine turn 1 play)

Fourth, here are some other auras which a worth looking at:
    Flickering Ward
    Brilliant Halo
    Conviction
    Flickerform
    Griffin Guide
    Gelid Shackles (requires snow-lands)

There are also a ton of "Flash" Enchantments, like Mageta's Boon. I don't really care for these so much.

Powerful anti-control cards:
    Replenish
    Marshal's Anthem

I also think you should consider either: Idyllic Tutor and Enlightened Tutor -or- Leonin Arbiter

Here are some other very impressive cards (I'm going to list just the enchantments at this point) you can run as singletons (better with tutors):
    Greater Auramancy
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Suppression Field
    Aura of Silence
    Runed Halo
    Story Circle
    Faith's Fetters
    Cage of Hands
    Crackdown
    Ghostly Prison
    Moat
    Wheel of Sun and Moon
    Empyrial Armor
    Karmic Justice
    Oblivion Ring
    Solitary Confinement

Some of these, like O-ring, might belong as a 4x, even without tutors.

Lastly, you might consider other combos (this is probably on the lines of "dangerous cool things") for fun:
    Guilty Conscience
    Stuffy Doll

Endless Horizons
    Goblin Charbelcher

peace,
    4eak

Thread Information