Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legacy= 4 Jace format?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: Legacy= 4 Jace format?

Running 4 Contract from Below in Shandalar is the most broken thing I've ever done in Magic. You kind of don't lose when you play it so I never worried about ante.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Will is arguably only broken due to the large amounts of cheap mana and tutors that complements it however. I certainly wouldn't put it on par with Ancestral, Lotus or CFB in a vaccuum.
    In a vaccuum Grizzly Bear is better than all 4... Will is broken when you play good cards, you don't need the restricted list to break it.

BBT:
    I don't think Legacy will become a 4 Jace format, but heavy control decks will/should be using the full suite of the mind sculpting guy - considering he does everything such a deck wants to do. Afterall, what's the best comeback from losing a Jace? Play another.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Running 4 Contract from Below in Shandalar is the most broken thing I've ever done in Magic. You kind of don't lose when you play it so I never worried about ante.
    Sooooo much true. I think I never lost a game where I resolved a Contract from Below. Having 40 cards in your deck also makes easier to chain a Contract into another one. I'm not sure about the win % with a resolved Contract in a "real" format, but in Shandalar is close to 100%.

@Jace: avoiding silly comparisons with ultra-broken blasts from the past, it's a good thing to analyze some of the other 4cc cards that see play in Legacy:

- Natural Order: wins the game in 2 turns against a good number of decks
    - Moat: wins the game when it lands against a decent number of decks
    - IGG: wins the game when resolved against a decent number of decks
    - Sneak Attack: wins the game when it lands against a good number of decks (but you need a monster to feed it)

So, it appears that the golden standard for 4cc cards in Legacy is "win the game often". They are very powerful, but somewhat conditional (Moat is uneffective vs flying creatures/burn, you can still lose the race after a resolved Order, etc.). The better quality of Jace is that it's not conditional at all. There's no situation where your Jace it's useless. It wins you the game if you're already ahead while cutting opponent's outs (fateseal), brings you ahead if the situation is even (brainstorm), brings you even if you are behind (bounce).
    It's probably the best 4-drop in Legacy right now, and I tend to agree that if your manabase supports it, you should be running 4 of them. The format is quite slow now, and it's where Jace shines more.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

But what decks shouldn't you be running TMS against? Isn't it very important to not rely solely on jace as a win con for some decks? Zoo comes to mind, what with all of the burn it runs.

Plays Magic:TG with Yu-Gi-Oh! cards
    Aug 2010

I've been saying this for months, and people thought I was a Jace whore.

Jace TMS = The best four mana spell in Magic.
    "Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk."
    "You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?"
    "If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from A to B."

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Mana Drain View Post

Followed very closely by humility

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mana Drain View Post

I am inclined to agree. The only other spells that come close are Tendrils and maybe Natural Order.

In Vintage I think Jace might be better than Gifts and FoF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    I am inclined to agree. The only other spells that come close are Tendrils and maybe Natural Order.

In Vintage I think Jace might be better than Gifts and FoF.

Think? lol, no, he IS better than those cards in Vintage. Two turns of good fatesealing are enough to screw the game over for the opponent if they can't stop Jace.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Think? lol, no, he IS better than those cards in Vintage. Two turns of good fatesealing are enough to screw the game over for the opponent if they can't stop Jace.
    Yes, or even his Brainstorm and draw a card can put players behind. Only reason I said I think, was because Gifts can end the game right away usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

The only reason Jace is considered good enough in Vintage is because Gifts Ungiven is restricted.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

I dont get it with Gifts...
    Why is it banned/restricted in so many formats?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    I dont get it with Gifts...
    Why is it banned/restricted in so many formats?
    It's only restricted in Vintage because it is an instant that can setup "I Win" situations like tutoring for Time vault, yawgmoth's will, voltaic key and regrowth (just one example out of many possible). Together with the unrestricted merchant scroll you were able to chain scroll into Gifts tutoring for Gifts, merchant scroll and 2 restricted bombs etc. so it got the restriction axe (unlike Scroll) ... a clear fail as the folliwing Flash/Gush-Era showed.

It's still legal in Legacy, mainly because of it's Lack of the restricted vintage Cards like yawgmoth's will, moxen, Black lotus and shit
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I don't know. The format shifts so often that while it might be a 4-Jace format for a little while, decks will come along to punish the decks that play more of those top-heavy bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    I don't know. The format shifts so often that while it might be a 4-Jace format for a little while, decks will come along to punish the decks that play more of those top-heavy bombs.
    I dare imagine how our format would be faster to the point of punishing someone for playing Jace, what with Force of Will and Mental Misstep to slow down those same decks.

I do believe Jace is gaining in popularity, and Misstep definitely helped.

We're far from that still, but do you believe a ban would be possible on the horizon?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Why the heck does every fucking thread these days evolve into a "ban something" topic? Misstep, Force of Will, Brainstorm, Jace .... All cards some people suggested ban-worthy this month...

I swear the next time any Aggro deck performs well 3 tournaments in a row I spam "ban vial, it's a perm. Black Lotus for creatures", "ban nacatl, it's metawarping", "omg goblin lackey is so broken" etc. Threads all over the net!

Xp
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Why the heck does every fucking thread these days evolve into a "ban something" topic? Misstep, Force of Will, Brainstorm, Jace .... All cards some people suggested ban-worthy this month...

I swear the next time any Aggro deck performs well 3 tournaments in a row I spam "ban vial, it's a perm. Black Lotus for creatures", "ban nacatl, it's metawarping", "omg goblin lackey is so broken" etc. Threads all over the net!

Xp

Perhaps some are hoping that if they complain enough like many did for SotF, they can get said card banned. Perhaps some hate blue. Perhaps some think blue is too popular and they are bothered that their pet deck isn't seeing much play.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Here pal, get ya well deserved, cross-topic...

+1 :D

Much too much IMPS floating these days

Join us at Facebook!

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

I still sometimes get a warm fuzzy feeling when recalling how I stubbornly promoted Jace TMS over at the LS thread as soon as it got spoiled, with 95% of you guys going like: "Kinda cool, but nah - at 4 mana he won't make it in Legacy"

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post

Xp
    I'm with you there !

It's really anoying me, all that banhammer waving for no good reason.

Why is it so hard for people to adept, and make the right meta calls

Thread Information