Thread: Instant Analysis - SCG Orlando Legacy Open 2011

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Instant Analysis - SCG Orlando Legacy Open 2011

Another weekend has come and gone, but this was no ordinary weekend in Legacy. This was the first week that major tournaments around the world would have New Phyrexia legal, and along with it the most hyped card for Legacy in ages, Mental Misstep. While the massive Bazaar of Moxen tournament was going on halfway around the world in France, Americans had the opportunity to gather in sunny Orlando (Florida, USA) to play their weapon of choice in a new era of Legacy. The Mental Misstep Era.

Gerry Thompson (UW Landstill) scooped to Chris VanMeter (Tempo UBG) in the finals (lame!), and the decklists for the Top 16 in Orlando are up. Merfolk was all over the place, and I’d guess was the most played deck. The top finishing Merfolk player was Nick Spagnolo who clocked in at sixth place playing a 12-lord version with 2 Umezawa's Jitte main and no Kira, Great Glass-Spinner. A whopping five other Merfolk players finished just outside the Top 8 in ninth through sixteenth place, and they were all playing 3-4 Missteps and they varied on what can be considered the flex slots with stuff like Merfolk Sovereign, Standstill, Kira, and more counters. The Orlando metagame seemed to be composed of Team America, Bant, Show and Tell, Zoo, BGW Junk, and Painter being played, along with another two dozen other lesser played decks in smaller numbers. The Top 16 included the aforementioned Merfolk, Team America, Landstill, Intuition Painter, Metalworker, and another Death and Taxes sighting! There were 146 players in this event and Legacy is still as diverse as ever, but things will start to get interesting as the metagame shifts around the perceived and real value of Misstep. Check out our analysis on EC after the jump!

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=1546

As always your thoughts, comments, and questions are welcome. Please let us know what you liked, what we missed, and what you'd like to see more of in the future.
    Last edited by JACO; 05-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Re: Instant Analysis - SCG Orlando Legacy Open 2011

If misstep makes landstill and merfolk the best two decks, then doesn't that in turn make dredge with both ichorid and bloodghast/paradise a good choice? Or madness if you want something that includes misstep itself? Or does zoo change to get a better landstill/fish mu? Or does red thresh rise on the back of pyro/rebs in teh board?

Calling Gerry T's deck UW Merfolk is a stretch... :-P

Looks like it's time to whip out good ol' Sligh.

How is Gerry T's list UW Merfolk?

But yes, this makes Dredge better. Against a deck like Gerry T's, who hopes to counter everything, you can basically play nothing and just discard cards at EOT.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

So much FoW and Brainstorm. 2 Decks in the top16 didn't play 4 Fow. Are we suprised?

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    So much FoW and Brainstorm. 2 Decks in the top16 didn't play 4 Fow. Are we suprised?
    funny you say that. i beat someone playing the gate on cockatrice with deadguy. Then he goes this is my casual deck. i'm gonna use my good deck.

he then proceeds to use a blue deck with counters...bant.

Thread Information