Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Commander Decks New Cards

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: Commander Decks New Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    EDIT: Also, this is officially the single most hilarious card to ever combine with Radiate. If a pitch Radiate were ever printed, this could be a deck.
    The combo of Chaos Warp + Radiate is almost functionally identical to Warp World, down to the same mana cost. (And I bet they knew it.)
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I would definitely maindeck Chaos Warp in Hypergenesis. Gives you around a 1/3 shot of getting some huge guy in a pinch on top of buying time or dealing with bigger threads, Counterbalances, etc.

Also Scavenging Ooze looks really interesting:

1G
    Creature- Ooze
    2/2
    G: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.
    Definitely viable as a GSZ target.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

If they do not release these new cards else where they will be mighty hard/expensive to get a play set of them

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

That's what I was afraid of happening. You have no idea how happy I am to see a lack of Legacy playables in this. Chaos Warp is niche playable, but nothing people will run out to get a playset of.

Oddly, these almost help prices in some areas. There's a few cards hard to find that are used in Legacy that will now go down in price. Wizard's seems to be saying "You're welcome" in the case of Mud players using Lightning Greaves. None of the Commanders themselves seem to have any real value outside of EDH luckily. That would have been particularly horrible as there's virtually no chance of those getting a reprint aside from these. Obviously these are made for this and that's it.

I say "Good Job Wizards" in keeping these from being a market hysteria. Ok, admittedly you still have to suffer the fact that EDH is very popular and some stores are going to drive up the price of these as is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I would definitely maindeck Chaos Warp in Hypergenesis. Gives you around a 1/3 shot of getting some huge guy in a pinch on top of buying time or dealing with bigger threads, Counterbalances, etc.

Holy crap that card is awesome. It's a Green Withered Wretch! Easier to cast and it grows and gains you life? A very solid, playable card. Ditto on GSZ.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

It's going to see play as a 1-of in my Elf sideboard at the very least. Nice, solid utility with the ability to grow out of control in the lategame whilst putting you out of burn range. Might be maindeck material in GSZ decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    It's going to see play as a 1-of in my Elf sideboard at the very least. Nice, solid utility with the ability to grow out of control in the lategame whilst putting you out of burn range. Might be maindeck material in GSZ decks.
    Yah it seems pretty neat, to control tarmo/kotr sizes if you have enogh G.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post

Actually way better than Loaming Shaman as a GSZ target post sb against dredge. Rfg his Ichorids and Moeba's response to trigger, rfg his DR target resp to DR...

Edit: Is actually very good against Volrath's Stronghold too ( Loam Mu).

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Yah it seems pretty neat, to control tarmo/kotr sizes if you have enogh G.
    Why on earth a deck playing green should be worried about Tarmo and KotR sizes, considering that 99,99% of the times it plays them? And in the 0,01 % of the times in which it doesn't is because they are Elves, and Tarmo should be a joke for them?
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

May 2010
    Sweden

Scavenging Ooze will replace the last Tarmogoyf in most Maverick decks. Tutorable maindecked answer to Dredge/Welder/Loam and a rather good topdeck lategame.
    TTP

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Why on earth a deck playing green should be worried about Tarmo and KotR sizes, considering that 99,99% of the times it plays them? And in the 0,01 % of the times in which it doesn't is because they are Elves, and Tarmo should be a joke for them?
    Well, supposing both decks have kotr and goyf, but if you also have ooze, then you can cannibalize the graveyard, and shrink everything except your ooze will be huge.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Ooze also doesn't matter in conjunction with your own Knight of the Reliquary. There's only one possible play in Legacy right now that would both grow your Ooze and shrink your Knight of the Reliquary, which is exiling a Dryad Arbor from your own graveyard.

GW decks should probably love this guy. I haven't been running Tarmogoyf in mine anyway, but I'll find room for one of these dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Being able to shrink your opponent's Knights to a measly 2/2 is nothing to sneeze at - and that's not the only thing this little ooze is capable of doing.

Like you said yourself, it messes up Loam and stuff, and against Aggro it gains you life for spare mana while growing to a sizable beater. It's not bonkers, but it's solid - and GSZ means I can play 5 of them.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Ooze also doesn't matter in conjunction with your own Knight of the Reliquary. There's only one possible play in Legacy right now that would both grow your Ooze and shrink your Knight of the Reliquary, which is exiling a Dryad Arbor from your own graveyard.

GW decks should probably love this guy. I haven't been running Tarmogoyf in mine anyway, but I'll find room for one of these dudes.
    What scare me is the price this thing is going to have with such a limited print...

Well, currently the prices at SCG have gone up 5$ from 29.99 to 34.99. Doesn't seem too terrible. And WotC can always do more print runs, since it's not a set, and they WANT these cards to be available to help support the format.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The prices will be nuts in the first few weeks while the stocks are still limited. But once all the casual players get their decks, the demand will drop and the extra copies of decks will kick in and the prices will be reasonable once again. This is if Wizards does enough print runs. But as usual, it's really hard to know how much they will print.

Damn, Wizards really knows how to print money.

Btw I don't think the ooze is that Great. As SB GSZ target, Loaming shaman is more efficient as it wipes the grave the same time as the ooze (you cast ooze with GSZ T3, activate T4).

g: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.

Green to activate sort of killed a bit of my interest. You have to be really heavy green to get max use out of it. It also only grows if it nom-nom-noms creatures. Most cards in graveyards are lands or spells with 1/2 creatures in the early-mid game. Seems a bit underwhelming. Not good enough in my book.

I was just farting around on MWS when I realized that Skullbriar would keep Jitte counters, which is pretty sexy.

EDIT: Yeah, never mind, forgot that Jitte just pumped, it doesn't give it a counter. It's still a very interesting card, though--although keeping -1/-1 counters would suck.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

In EDH, this happened.

Skullbriar dies, I give it persist!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Sewer Nemesis looks kinda interesting when combined with Sword of Body and Mind for two-hit potential.

Doesn't really make both card better on their own, though.

Thread Information