Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Edric, Spymaster of Trest *Spoiler*

[SCD] Edric, Spymaster of Trest *Spoiler*

This guy seems nuts in legacy. He's like a "Changeling" lord. I'd be tempted to put green in Merfolk, or just run him w/o green to vial him in. Everything is MAGPIE!!!

I can see it causing absolute blowouts in random decks.

What do you guys think of him?
    You look bored, I wish
    everything about the danger
    wouldnt make you such a stranger.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [SCD] Edric, Spymaster of Trest *Spoiler*

I think he pairs well with such cards as:
    Cold-eyed Selkie
    Gaea's Skyfolk

In terms of colors and abilities. Adding to merfolk also gives you Tarmogoyf which could solve the Zoo (lol?) problem. Either way, his ability is quite good.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Although I REALLY like this guy and think the picutre is quite cool, I don't think a deck like Merfolk can actually sustain running a card that doesn't help advance the board and is actually -Tempo.
    /edit: especially when it would have to go for its weakest splash colour.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

I think Elf decks can conceivably splash for this, if only as a 1-of for GSZ. Too bad blue doesn't really give much except Coiling Oracle otherwise unless you're into Intuition/Vengevine shenanigans. Compromising the manabase is probably not worth it, sadly.

Then again it could see play in any deck running GSZ and counters. 3cc Magpies are traditionally unplayable, but making your 1 and 2 drop draw cards immediatly off it might push it over the edge.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I could see this in an elf shell with Taunting Elf for massive hand refill, but going for straight elf combo is probably just better. It's interesting, that's for sure.

Clearly, you combine him with Lorescale Coatl. Now that card can finally live up to its brief, post-spoiler hype as a format-wrecker!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I kind of like it with one of those green effects that gives you lots of little pecks...like the ones that make your forests 1/1s for the turn or some such. You should be able to protect him well in blue and green and he can replenish your hand quickly each turn.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I know people's initial reaction to this card is "whoa, powerful!" but it should really be "whoa, cool!" The difference is that the former is for cards that will have format-wide impact. The second is for niche cards that lack a niche. This definitely falls into the second category.

Consider for a moment, his impact on a game. If you're swinging with one creature a turn, he's marginally better than Curiosity but worse than Mask of Memory or Mask of Riddles. This is because Curiosity is tied to a single creature and thus subject to the removal of that creature. But either Mask would be better still because they're more difficult to remove.

If you're connecting with multiple creatures for multiple turns, then you get a better benefit out of him than you would out of other cards that are similarly positioned (Standstill, equipment, Dark Confidant, etc.). But how many turns are you going to hit someone with multiple creatures before they die or are so far behind that they couldn't recover anywy? Even if you're just hitting someone with 3 2/2's, that's basically a 3 turn clock in this format, since everyone is taking some damage from fetches, Forces, Missteps, Ancient Tombs, etc.

There are times where I could see this forcing an opponent to hold back blockers rather than try and race you. But when you're in a losing race scenario, your deck isn't doing whatever it was designed to do in the first place. Rather than run a card like this that only functions well when the rest of your deck is functioning incorrectly, run more cards to make your deck function right to begin with.

I think this card is like Captivating Vampire. It's a cool ability, but it's a win-more ability 95+% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

I'll just pay 1 more mana for Jace, no thanks; it needed something like Death Touch to be playable IMO.

Wait, these cards are legal in legacy???

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MtG.com
    Magic: The Gathering Commander will contain brand-new cards! We've been looking for outlets to create new multiplayer-friendly card designs for years, and this was the perfect place. There are 51 unique new cards spread across the five decks (some cards appear in multiple decks). These are real, black-bordered Magic cards that will be legal in Eternal formats (Vintage and Legacy) as well as casual games the world over. These cards are meant to appeal to many different kinds of Commander and multiplayer players: power gamers, flavor fanatics, and those who approach the game much more politically.
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...y/feature/119k

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sounds like a great replacement for Selkie in Vintage Fish. I mean goddamn
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

One friend of mine plays blue/green elf combo deck. However he miss good general... Not anymore :)

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    One friend of mine plays blue/green elf combo deck. However he miss good general... Not anymore :)
    Momir Vig didn't cut it?
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Momir Vig didn't cut it?
    Momir vig is exactly what elfball would want, I don't know what offler's friend is smoking
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

to Sims:
    Edric need creatures to attack and deal damage, while Momir require cards to be cast. The problem is not in Momir, problem is in a way how the deck is meant to work - green blue aggro/combo tribal elf. Sounds funny even to me but it might work really fast. (actual version which includes also black tutoring but no blue tutoring works really fast).

The deck is currently more friendly to Edric, (trample/flying to elves)
    Last edited by Offler; 05-26-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Something does not work... :) RTFC :D

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I know people's initial reaction to this card is "whoa, powerful!" but it should really be "whoa, cool!" The difference is that the former is for cards that will have format-wide impact. The second is for niche cards that lack a niche. This definitely falls into the second category.

Consider for a moment, his impact on a game. If you're swinging with one creature a turn, he's marginally better than Curiosity but worse than Mask of Memory or Mask of Riddles. This is because Curiosity is tied to a single creature and thus subject to the removal of that creature. But either Mask would be better still because they're more difficult to remove.

If you're connecting with multiple creatures for multiple turns, then you get a better benefit out of him than you would out of other cards that are similarly positioned (Standstill, equipment, Dark Confidant, etc.). But how many turns are you going to hit someone with multiple creatures before they die or are so far behind that they couldn't recover anywy? Even if you're just hitting someone with 3 2/2's, that's basically a 3 turn clock in this format, since everyone is taking some damage from fetches, Forces, Missteps, Ancient Tombs, etc.

There are times where I could see this forcing an opponent to hold back blockers rather than try and race you. But when you're in a losing race scenario, your deck isn't doing whatever it was designed to do in the first place. Rather than run a card like this that only functions well when the rest of your deck is functioning incorrectly, run more cards to make your deck function right to begin with.

I think this card is like Captivating Vampire. It's a cool ability, but it's a win-more ability 95+% of the time.
    Why does any card have to fit into an existing niche? And how could you know the percentage of win-more-ness with a card that has not been released yet? It's a complicated game and here we have a creature that has an ability that no creature has had before. Let's explore it rather than trying to pigeon hole it.

I think I like it alongside Glimpse of Nature, though I can't quite see how you would not end up cutting him and end up in a typical Elf combo deck.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Finn:

The reason I'm pigeonholing it is because I'm looking at it's function compared to other card drawing engines related to creatures dealing combat damage and this one is coming up short. It's not a unique effect, it's just a Coastal Piracy on legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

It would sure suck to play that guy, then realize you're playing against Belcher as they dump 12 goblin tokens on you and proceed to draw 11 cards as you block one.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    It would sure suck to play that guy, then realize you're playing against Belcher as they dump 12 goblin tokens on you and proceed to draw 11 cards as you block one.
    As worded, it only triggers when a creature deals combat damage to one of your opponents.

The wording is actually fairly interesting and unique. In multiplayer games, it's asymmetrical enough to give you an advantage, but not in a way that paints a huge target on his head.

Thread Information