Thread: [Article] Too Much Information -- Orlando and Louisville Legacy Opens

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

[Article] Too Much Information -- Orlando and Louisville Legacy Opens

The first bit of tournament data since Mental Misstep, and the last before GP: Providence.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...acy_Opens.html

It looks like we'll be continuing to write Legacy TMIs, so we'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

Re: [Article] Too Much Information -- Orlando and Louisville Legacy Opens

Zoo looks like to still be a decent choice for all of the merfolk, though it suffers against Team America. Nice to see Landstill making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Zoo looks like to still be a decent choice for all of the merfolk, though it suffers against Team America.
    What? I don't know what kind of Zoo you've been playing but it's actually the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by SurFitOfTheVine View Post
    What? I don't know what kind of Zoo you've been playing but it's actually the other way around.
    Seconded!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

If he was implying that Misstep isn't enough to make that a favorable matchup for merfolk, I'm inclined to agree with him after the testing my group did in hopes of finding the opposite.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    If he was implying that Misstep isn't enough to make that a favorable matchup for merfolk, I'm inclined to agree with him after the testing my group did in hopes of finding the opposite.
    Oh, I was talking about the Zoo - TA matchup. Big Zoo eats TA alive.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Written by Alex and Jesse Hatfield? I just.... uughhhh.....

..... ima clean my keyboard...

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

My mistake, that makes much more sense! I'd love to see zoo do well, despite all the clamor abour misstep

I wasn't talking about Big Zoo. Were you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I'm basing what I said on the results: Zoo's overall performance was somewhat questionable against TA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    My mistake, that makes much more sense! I'd love to see zoo do well, despite all the clamor abour misstep
    The reason Zoo is not bothered by MMS is because the entire deck is either land, burn, or a dude. It's as aggro as you can get.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It's a funny thing. In my testing, Mental Misstep has made Merfolk even more, uhh Merfolkish. It comes out of the gate even faster than it ever did. But (especially with the Standstill-less versions) it is even more prone to getting trumped by exactly the stuff Zoo does. I would say that MM has nudged Merfolk further into the aggro/tempo category, which is an uncomfortable place to be against Zoo. It means that Merfolk players will have to rely on carving out fast, freakish victories even more (which Merfolk can certainly do) instead of any kind of strategic approach - not that Merfolk players ever had a strategy against Zoo that worked, but still. That is what I mean by more Merfolkish. As a result, Zoo is in a kind of control role, which is strange to think about but makes sense in practice.

I would say that Zoo players should be packing more burn than ever to take advantage of Merfolk's weakness. Lightning Helix looks good right about now. Also, I am thinking that Zoo players should include one or two more basics and accept the occasional mulligan that comes with them, to inhibit Merfolk's ability to jam up their development.

One more thing. With the extreme number of Merfolk decks, and really Team America doing much of the same, I wonder if a single Dryad Arbor would be a good addition from the SB. Sure it can be Wasted, but so can most of your lands. I think I would be happy to see my Arbor Wasted given that consideration.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    One more thing. With the extreme number of Merfolk decks, and really Team America doing much of the same, I wonder if a single Dryad Arbor would be a good addition from the SB. Sure it can be Wasted, but so can most of your lands. I think I would be happy to see my Arbor Wasted given that consideration.
    Why would you want Dryad Arbor in a Zoo deck?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    The reason Zoo is not bothered by MMS is because the entire deck is either land, burn, or a dude. It's as aggro as you can get.
    Yeah, I know. That is why I want a few good players to put down their new blue toy and put the beatdown on people. In no way was I implying zoo is invalidated.

I would love to see a zoo deck packing jitte, thrun, and choke just run the train in the next day or so. I've been seeing a little too much blue at the top.

As for arbor, it not being able to tap the turn it comes into play REALLY hurts it in an aggro setting.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Nice analysis! =)
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Thread Information