Page 169 of 376 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 7512

Thread: [Deck] Nic Fit (GBx Explorer Zenith Control)

Re: [Deck] Nic Fit (GBW Explorer Zenith Control)

Hi all! I am going to try and play scapewsih for an upcoming tournament at a local game store. Average crowd is anywhere from 30-50 people. Took Arinahod's list and made some small changes:

Main: 61 cards

Mana base: 24 (10- green sources, 12- mountains)

3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    4 Mountain
    3 Bayou
    4 Taiga
    4 Badlands
    2 Valakut
    1 Phrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

Dudes 14
    4 Vetran Explorers
    2 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Wood Elves
    1 Eternal Witness
    3 Huntmaster of the Fells
    2 Thragtusk
    1 Primeval Titan

Spells 23
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Scapeshift

Board 15
    3 pyroblast
    3 Slaughter Games
    1 pyroclasm
    1 reanimate
    1 thoughtseize
    1 scapeshift
    1 tsunami
    1 malestrom pulse
    1 innocent blood
    1 virtue's ruin
    1 damnation

Please let me know what you think. Biggest change is the 3 Abrupt Decays to deal with Liliania of the Veil, Delver, chalice of the void, and counterbalance. The stronghold is something new i am trying.

So I've been testing out Null Profusion and man is it amazing! Once that gets online, it's just a grind fest that not even counterspells can stop. Now it's the first thing that comes out vs. anything like Jund or anything else that has heavy discard, but against just about anything else you end up with so much gas you're almost unstoppable. Even against discard your tops can generate card draw to get you out of the hole if you have nothing else in hand.

Esq.
    Sep 2010
    Toronto, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    Hi all! I am going to try and play scapewsih for an upcoming tournament at a local game store. Average crowd is anywhere from 30-50 people. Took Arinahod's list and made some small changes:

Main: 61 cards

Mana base: 24 (10- green sources, 12- mountains)

3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    4 Mountain
    3 Bayou
    4 Taiga
    4 Badlands
    2 Valakut
    1 Phrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

Dudes 14
    4 Vetran Explorers
    2 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Wood Elves
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Thragtusk
    1 Primeval Titan

Spells 23
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Scapeshift

Board 15
    3 pyroblast
    3 Slaughter Games
    1 pyroclasm
    1 reanimate
    1 thoughtseize
    1 scapeshift
    1 tsunami
    1 malestrom pulse
    1 innocent blood
    1 virtue's ruin
    1 damnation

Please let me know what you think. Biggest change is the 3 Abrupt Decays to deal with Liliania of the Veil, Delver, chalice of the void, and counterbalance. The stronghold is something new i am trying.
    I would definitely cut down to an even sixty (60) cards and in that regard cut the Wood Elves. 2x Thragtusk is too many and is not needed so go down to one. Also, 3x Huntmaster is also too many go down to two.

In relation to the side board, combo is the deck's weakness, therefore, I would play either Thoughtseize/ Duress or Mindbreak Trap.
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

Dec 2010
    Montreal

@Tao,

Well of course Jarad's Order isn't like Gifts but one isn't strictly superior than the other. For having tested it a long time ago, Gifts and Unburial Rites are extremely unstable together and hardly worth the 4th color. Jarad's order, just like Natural Order, is right in Nic Fit's core colors and fits much better in a BGW shell. Here is my idea for a Jarad's Nic Fit deck abusing GSZ to its maximum:

Creatures (14)
    4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Fauna Shaman
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Genesis
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Loyal Retainers
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Spells (25)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Innocent Blood
    2 Vindicate
    2 Jarad's Order

3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Lands (21)
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Karakas
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
    1 Angel of Despair
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Pernicious Deed
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress
    1 Memoricide
    1 Cranial Extraction
    2 Extirpate
    2 Nihil Spellbomb

Also, regarding your list, I have recently adopted the 2nd Thragtusk in a lot of lists but I think more than 2 is overboard. It is still 5 mana, not worth having multiples in an opener IMO.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Looks like blue fit might get a new card advantage toy, practically a Glimpse of Nature on a stick that can be fetched with GSZ

http://media.wizards.com/images/magi...xsyhsjv_01.png

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Looks like blue fit might get a new card advantage toy, practically a Glimpse of Nature on a stick that can be fetched with GSZ

http://media.wizards.com/images/magi...xsyhsjv_01.png
    Now that does look spicy. I wonder how/if it could be abused in nic fit...

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Eh ... it does look spicy ... but it's effectiveness is limited because it has to be a creature with greater power or toughness entering the battlefield, and we only run a few powerhouse creatures.

Best bet might just be to loop Thragtusk/Titan, get about four/five cards, then loop her once and finally repeat?

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Eh ... it does look spicy ... but it's effectiveness is limited because it has to be a creature with greater power or toughness entering the battlefield, and we only run a few powerhouse creatures.

Best bet might just be to loop Thragtusk/Titan, get about four/five cards, then loop her once and finally repeat?
    Doesn't this trigger multiple times off token generators like say Deranged Hermit or Grave Titan?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

She's pretty bad as a 4drop for Nic Fit. She will never reach a reasonable size, and she is even less likely than Dark Confidant to cantrip. Definitely not good enough.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    Doesn't this trigger multiple times off token generators like say Deranged Hermit or Grave Titan?
    I think those are both going to net you a good number of cards, but is it worth the setup? It's a 4 drop that on it's own seems pretty poor and requires you to combo it w/ a 5 or 6 drop to be useful. Given the mana requirements for that, you're probably spreading it out over two turns, giving ample opportunity for it to be dealt with. Plus you're probably looking at a 3rd turn before you're able to utilize any of that draw.

I'd probably rather play it with Wall of Omens/Blossoms. The walls cantrip on their own and can help keep you alive long enough to land something like a titan (of course if the mage has triggered previously then you're not getting any value out of the tokens).

That said, I won't be switching to blue for this.

Sep 2007
    MN

Seems pretty bad to me. I'd rather do something optimistic like play Edric as the GSZ target and lingering souls over that newly spoiled creature.

Quote Originally Posted by slikwilly View Post
    I think those are both going to net you a good number of cards, but is it worth the setup? It's a 4 drop that on it's own seems pretty poor and requires you to combo it w/ a 5 or 6 drop to be useful. Given the mana requirements for that, you're probably spreading it out over two turns, giving ample opportunity for it to be dealt with. Plus you're probably looking at a 3rd turn before you're able to utilize any of that draw.

I'd probably rather play it with Wall of Omens/Blossoms. The walls cantrip on their own and can help keep you alive long enough to land something like a titan (of course if the mage has triggered previously then you're not getting any value out of the tokens).

That said, I won't be switching to blue for this.
    I'm just saying you don't need to loop it for it draw cards.

After due consideration I think that Recycle/Null Profusion would just be superior. What can I say? I'm a convert. :)
    Last edited by AmishLuvah; 12-25-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    4 Mountain
    3 Bayou
    4 Taiga
    4 Badlands
    2 Valakut
    1 Phrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

Dudes 14
    4 Vetran Explorers
    2 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Wood Elves
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Thragtusk
    1 Primeval Titan

Spells 23
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Scapeshift

Board 15
    3 pyroblast
    3 Slaughter Games
    1 pyroclasm
    1 reanimate
    1 thoughtseize
    1 scapeshift
    1 tsunami
    1 malestrom pulse
    1 innocent blood
    1 virtue's ruin
    1 damnation
    Sup Lambert,

This looks solid, and follows the current shift list pretty well. I believe Arianrhod has actually mentioned that the three slots you have decay in work great as decays, it's just fun to try and find possible better slot alternatives (or something to that effect, decay is solid, period).

I personally run +1 wood elves -1 elder, but that split is more or less to taste.

The 3rd huntmaster represents the epic "61st" card. I happen to agree with Arianrhod's (and many others) feelings that GSZ makes a 61st card not only playable but relevant.

I really didn't like Stronghold in my testing, I think it's a hold over from GBFit that scapewish doesn't need.

Ruin // Damnation I would ALMOST consider redundant.

On another note, Koth of the Hammer how bout this guy? Some silly prime time hard cast/gsz shenanigans on deck.

Arianrhod: After playing for a while with Olivia, I've actually moved back to Malestrom Pulse, and am even considering jumping over to Abrupt Decay.
    Retired Berserk Stompy player

Current Decks: Scapewish NicFit, Grixis Affinity, Green Zombardment

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Hmm, k. Good to know.

So, who's seen this baby?

Obviously Primeval is still dramatically better, but the mechanic is really important to note. Depending on what they print with that mechanic, Scapewish could be getting one hell of a new toy.

I will also note that IMO Damnation and Ruin aren't redundant. Pyroclasm kills Elves/Goblins early (which is when you need it--also BW+Pyro happens on 4 mana, which is a magic number when facing a TES deck that's made a pile of goblins t1) Ruin kills Teeg. Damnation kills everything else. They do have some degree of cross-over, but each is actually pretty important to specific circumstances, and if you omit one of them, you will find situations where you'll regret that over the course of a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Hmm, k. Good to know.

So, who's seen this baby?

Obviously Primeval is still dramatically better, but the mechanic is really important to note. Depending on what they print with that mechanic, Scapewish could be getting one hell of a new toy.

I will also note that IMO Damnation and Ruin aren't redundant. Pyroclasm kills Elves/Goblins early (which is when you need it--also BW+Pyro happens on 4 mana, which is a magic number when facing a TES deck that's made a pile of goblins t1) Ruin kills Teeg. Damnation kills everything else. They do have some degree of cross-over, but each is actually pretty important to specific circumstances, and if you omit one of them, you will find situations where you'll regret that over the course of a tournament.
    True facts.

I wish he was sitting at 5 mana and not 6. Having to share the spot with primetime is such a big deal.

I'm super pumped to see what else comes with the guild.
    Retired Berserk Stompy player

Current Decks: Scapewish NicFit, Grixis Affinity, Green Zombardment

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

It's not his mana cost that bothers me -- it's that he doesn't have either trample or protection (hexproof ideally). If he even had Haste....the problem is that he comes into play, and then he sits there. And maybe he's huge, but he doesn't -do- anything. He doesn't generate advantage when he comes into play. He's not a colossal beater like Sigarda which is just going to punch them to death and there isn't a goddamn they can do about it. He is, admittedly, a nice combat trick if you happen to draw him. But I don't see that happening very often, nor do I see it as being worth the spots.

Note: I'm not actually sure what I'm looking for. We know that Gruul has a very heavy lands-matter theme in the new set. We've seen their leader - the new Borygamos. He's a huge dude with a seismic assault stapled on to him, with an on-hit that puts lands into your hand from the top of your deck. Coupled with this card, it's very obvious that we could get something.

But what do we even really want?

Something like an Acidic Slime that can kill planeswalkers? Bloodrush 2GR, discard: deal X damage to target creature or player? That would be sexy as fuck, I guess, but if I'm reading the ability right, I believe that the actual "ability" part of Bloodrush is that it gives an attacking creature some benefit when you discard the card -- kind of like an updated Channel. Is all Bloodrush going to be formatted that way? Discard, pay mana, attacking creature gets bigger based on land count?

If so, then what? We wouldn't want to run it solely for the Bloodrush, although that could be a nice side benefit. Unless it's a mythic, they aren't going to make like a hasty Maro, I don't think. Even then I dunno. I guess that would probably be the ideal option? A hasty Maro with Bloodrush stapled on?

What do you guys think? What could they make with Bloodrush that we would really want -- enough to value it over Abrupt Decay (with whom it would currently be fighting for slots with -- I don't see anything replacing Huntmaster or Thragtusk as the main "beef" slots).

Dec 2010
    Montreal

If KotR and Goyf don't make the cut for Nic Fit, I don't see why Rubblehulk would. The Bloodrush ability is very weak and even if it were a vanilla 8/8 for 6, I still wouldn't touch it with an 11 foot pole.

@All the 61+ cards in their deck people,

The notion of having more than 60 cards in a deck where consistency is a major factor for the sake of availlability is utterly ridiculous (All non-highlander decks fall within this category). If your deck contains playsets (AKA: Core), which means that you want to maximize your chances of finding that card as they are focal to your gameplan, then how can you even consider having a 61st card? That one card on its own dimishes your odds of drawing all of the most important cards of your deck. If said 61st card is truly worth its weight, then it means that there is something already in your deck that isn't as important, if not, then that 61st card doesn't belong. I am really curious to hear any non-superstitious or non-special-snow-flake argument in favor of playing 61 cards in a deck containing anything else than 1-ofs. Guys wake up! This is basic statistics, think about it for a moment and you might understand why Brainstorm is one of the best cards in the format.

With that said:

@Siiig,

3rd Huntmaster, really? How many games have you won only because you managed to resolve 3 and how many games have you lost because your deck couldn't resolve more than 2? My guess is that only 1 side of this equation has been observed, the other has been ignored. Also, 3rd Decay, 2nd Sakura, 2nd Thragtusk, and 24th land are all numbers you can safely reconsider without dimming the redundancy of your 4 GSZ, 4 Therapies, 4 Explorers, and 4 Burning Wishes.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    The notion of having more than 60 cards in a deck where consistency is a major factor for the sake of availlability is utterly ridiculous (All non-highlander decks fall within this category). If your deck contains playsets (AKA: Core), which means that you want to maximize your chances of finding that card as they are focal to your gameplan, then how can you even consider having a 61st card? That one card on its own dimishes your odds of drawing all of the most important cards of your deck. If said 61st card is truly worth its weight, then it means that there is something already in your deck that isn't as important, if not, then that 61st card doesn't belong. I am really curious to hear any non-superstitious or non-special-snow-flake argument in favor of playing 61 cards in a deck containing anything else than 1-ofs. Guys wake up! This is basic statistics, think about it for a moment and you might understand why Brainstorm is one of the best cards in the format.
    That's really only partially true. Lets assume Chapin is correct when he says,
    To put things in perspective regarding just how big 0.4 percentage points are, that is one extra loss every 250 games. The average match is 2.5 games. That means that by playing 61 cards one would take an extra loss roughly every 600 matches.
    1 loss in 600 matches. I don't even get to play that many in a year! Putting that aside though, what if your local meta is heavy on deck X and card Y is really good in that matchup and tolerable in the others? Running said hypothetical card is then going to be worth > 1 win, thus negating the extra loss by running an extra card which earns you extra wins because you're playing against X a lot.

We run so much thinning and so many tutors I really don't get too worked up over the extra card. Yeah, the percentages favor 60 but I don't think it's that cut and dry. Hell, which card is "the 61st?" I look at my list and I'll be damned if I see a card that should go. This is a 'problem' I really only have w/ Nic Fit though.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

To be honest I'm in the 61 camp, but I'm also sure that a 61 deck needs to adjust its consistency to make the most of that extra card.

Will go into deeper analysis when I get home.

Thread Information