Thread: Preventing Lifelink

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Preventing Lifelink

Here's the scenario:

I am attacking with Wurmcoil Engine. My opponent blocks with Qasali Pridemage, then used its ability to destroy another artifact that I control. Does it work in a way that Wurmcoil Engine will not be dealing damage to Qasali Pridemage, which in return stops lifelink?

If this works, can anyone thoroughly explain?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Preventing Lifelink

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Here's the scenario:

I am attacking with Wurmcoil Engine. My opponent blocks with Qasali Pridemage, then used its ability to destroy another artifact that I control. Does it work in a way that Wurmcoil Engine will not be dealing damage to Qasali Pridemage, which in return stops lifelink?

If this works, can anyone thoroughly explain?
    Since when damage is assigned/dealt, the pridemage is no longer in play, damage cannot be dealt to it. Thus lifelink does not happen since wurmcoil has nothing to deal damage to in order to trigger lifelink (I realize lifelink no longer is a triggered event, but my vocab is only so big). If wurmcoil had trample, that would be a different story, as you could assign the rest of the damage to the defending player (or all if the sacrifice does occur).

If you are looking for a specific ruling, I'm sure I can find one.

TL;DR: Damage needs to be dealt for lifelink to happen. No damage dealt, no lifelink.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information