Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue needs a Nerf

Blue needs a Nerf

i'm not spamming or anything, but blue really needs a nerf in legacy. its almost to the point that if you are not running blue, you are not playing competitively. of course you cannot ban cards like FOW because thats basically keeps combo in check.

blue just needs a simple ban to diversify the meta. something thats not overpowered but useful. wont destroy blue in any way, but would weaken it to match the other colors.

that card is brainstorm.

Capitalization is required on these boards. Please use it. Thanks. -zilla

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Blue needs a Nerf

Quote Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
    blue just needs a simple ban to diversify the meta.
    I thought the meta was already diverse.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Some day people are going to grow testicles and just put Mental Misstep in non-blue decks, and then everyone can be happy.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Blue does not need a nerf. New decks just need to emerge rather than old decks adjusting their strategy and thus becoming inferior versions of themselves.

Seriously... Misstep have been legal how long?

of course you cannot ban cards like FOW because thats basically keeps combo in check.
    Actually FOW basically keeps the entire format in check, by making every non-blue deck suboptimal.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

that card is brainstorm.
    This is some real discussion. I think many more people will join the rank after High Tide will have won the GP.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

They need to BAN anyone who even thinks of banning Brainstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fsk View Post
    Actually FOW basically keeps the entire format in check, by making every non-blue deck suboptimal.
    You don't know what you're talking about. FOW actually enables non-blue strategies who would otherwise be totally overrun by a combo-heavy meta.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

For what it's worth I haven't played non-FOW combo in months.

cant play as much as he wants

Jun 2010

This old discussion again?
    Force of Will holds Combo Decks away from overtaking the Meta.
    Force of Will provides card disadvantage and lifeloss.
    Non-FoW/Blue Decks like Zoo, Dredge, GW Aggro and more are competitive.

And please don't call Mental Misstep "unfair". It is a situational card. It is good, but not over the top "omg needs to be banned"-like. I like it, i play it, but its far away from beeing imbalanced.
    Anyone who says that decks are dead because of Mental Misstep or Force of Will has not played Magic long or good enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Its way better to print new cards that actually nerf blue decks then ban card. Its not only in legacy blue needs nerf in. Its quite the same in standard where jace decks rules the world :P Mean when was the last time in scg open when there was less then 50% jace decks in the top 8...

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Maybe they could print a card that's good against combo and gives a slice of blue's color pie away to anyone who wants it.

Maybe something like a free counter, only instead of owning an island or ditching a blue card you just pay life. Hey, that sounds pretty good in Zoo and Goblins.

I am actually enraged by the lack of gumption Legacy players exhibit. I mean blue has a lot of really good cards that you actually need blue to play, but they just printed a really good card you definitely don't need blue to play. I don't think MM is an auto-four-of in every deck, but the fact that people are bemoaning the dominance of blue and not even trying to stuff it into other decks is pathetic.

The only deck with brainstorms that is widely played is Team America. It's not even pure blue. Merfolk is blue but doesn't play brainstorms. And Landstill is not popular in every meta. I don't understand where all this concern is coming from. Is it because the OP has lost too many games against Team America?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Its way better to print new cards that actually nerf blue decks then ban card. Its not only in legacy blue needs nerf in. Its quite the same in standard where jace decks rules the world :P Mean when was the last time in scg open when there was less then 50% jace decks in the top 8...
    i knew there would be lots of hate in this thread when i talked about blue being overpowered to any other colors.

i'm not talking about a whole ban on FOW or anything. I actually like FOW in the legacy scene. What im' really discussing is that they just need something to make blue somewhat of a less desired color to play.

It seems like its always a BLUE/splash of another color to be a competitive deck. Same discussion of how jace is dominating standard. almost no deck who wants to get a top 8 finish don't have jace.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    The only deck with brainstorms that is widely played is Team America. It's not even pure blue. Merfolk is blue but doesn't play brainstorms. And Landstill is not popular in every meta. I don't understand where all this concern is coming from. Is it because the OP has lost too many games against Team America?
    thats irrelevant whether i have lost to team america. I cannot ask for a whole ban on things like FOW, Daze, spell snare, jace. I'm saying just one card to make blue less desired to play...that would be brainstorm.

It would not obliterate the color, but it would weaken it SLIGHTLY where you won't all together not play the color anymore.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

They could push for some really harsh red anti blue cards, Not just pyroblasts where blue decks splash red just to counter blue spells..

Something like this Burn spell

Die Jace die! 3R
    Instant
    If your opponent has played a blue spell this turn, you may remove a red card from your hand instead of paying die Jace Die! mana cost.
    Cant Be countered by spells or abilties
    Deals 5 damage to each opponents, then if alternative cost was payed you draw 2 cards.

I piss in your pool
    Goblin 2/2 2R
    Protection white and blue
    When IPIUP enters battlefield, IPIYP deals 1 damage to each opponent for each permanent he or she controlls that can produce a blue or white mana.
    At the beginning of each of your oppnents upkeep, IPIYP deals 1 damage to that player for each permanent he or she controlls that can produce a blue or white mana.

Name would ofc not be does :P

May 2010
    abqnm

They could push for some really harsh red anti blue cards, Not just pyroblasts where blue decks splash red just to counter blue spells..
    Why do they have to red?

Well lots of color based hosers against blue exist:
    Thrun, the last troll
    Choke
    Boil
    REB/Pyroblast
    spinal villain
    seedtime
    etc.

Of couse they're of varying quality...but if you want to be beat blue sideboard cards for that exist...if you don't mind them being a bit narrow.

That aside I would hate a ban on brainstorm it's probably my favorite spell and it makes people cry who use it in non force decks like TES/ANT. Although you are at least looking in the right direction when it comes to why blue is good: cheap draw filters for consistency and digging for answers.
    Island, go.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by rogue.nine View Post
    Why do they have to red?

Well lots of color based hosers against blue exist:
    Thrun, the last troll
    Choke
    Boil
    REB/Pyroblast
    spinal villain
    seedtime
    etc.

Of couse they're of varying quality...but if you want to be beat blue sideboard cards for that exist...if you don't mind them being a bit narrow.

That aside I would hate a ban on brainstorm it's probably my favorite spell and it makes people cry who use it in non force decks like TES/ANT. Although you are at least looking in the right direction when it comes to why blue is good: cheap draw filters for consistency and digging for answers.
    Thoes card arent really as harsh as they should when blue is dominating every format.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. FOW actually enables non-blue strategies who would otherwise be totally overrun by a combo-heavy meta.
    I may be wrong but i definitelly know what i am talking about. There are enough hate cards to keep combo in check but with FOW being so much more versatile there is no point playing them.
    Sure you can play non-blue strategies and pray for good pairings but you could just play a blue-based deck instead and do well against anything.

If you dont want to have the best chance of winning in legacy, you have to play fow. Most people are ok with this, thinking that fow somehow prevent some hypothetical all-combo format but others think that the card is just too good and destroy the balance of the format.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Brainstorm, Jace, and Force are nice, but I'd much rather play a non-blue aggro or midrange deck against them than against TES. Force is a very fair card in a straight up slug-fest; look at the last match they're covering where AJ Sacher sided them out against Team Italia. That's the right move against some dude running Hymns and other attrition cards; you'd rather just have removal.

Thread Information