Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Blue needs a Nerf

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Blue needs a Nerf

Quote Originally Posted by Iare View Post
    I have a feeling alot of standard players are sick of overpriced cards and paying for new non-basics every year or so (All of which are useless in other formats). So I disregard this argument and say Wizards are just holding steadfast to the Timmy hates land destruction so lets not print any decent land destruction cards. This is really holding back on a big chunk of design space, design space that is important to the game and the people who play it.

The last many sets seem to be more and more multicolored cards and overpowered creatures. It is actually rather dull :(
    I think Wizards has done a good job and producing fair land destruction cards recently. I don't think land destruction is a viable strategy in itself, but there are decent options to run in Standard that can get rid of problematic lands.

My two favorites:

Tectonic Edge
    Acidic Slime
    Last edited by Jander78; 06-07-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: bad link
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

I have a feeling alot of standard players are sick of overpriced cards and paying for new non-basics every year or so (All of which are useless in other formats). So I disregard this argument and say Wizards are just holding steadfast to the Timmy hates land destruction so lets not print any decent land destruction cards. This is really holding back on a big chunk of design space, design space that is important to the game and the people who play it.

The last many sets seem to be more and more multicolored cards and overpowered creatures. It is actually rather dull :(
    I don't see how this applies to the current standard. I have 12 nonbasic dual lands for my deck, in total they ran me something like 40$, that's 3 different sets, I bought them earlier this year as I just got back into standard. On average it's something like 12-15$ for a playset of them. Also, outside of Jace and any other $30+ card like the planeswalkers, nothing is really outrageous in price. And I suspect that will die down after Jace cycles out, which will be soon.

In regards to the multicolored cards and overpowered creatures...the best creature in the format is a 2 mana 1/1 flier that fetches itself from the library--I guess Thrun and Mirran Crusader aren't bad either, but they're remarkably easier to deal with than that bird. In the last 7 sets, all of standard, there are 7 multicolored cards.

In Alara, yeah, there was an entire set devoted to them, but...standard at the moment has like, 1 playable multicolored card, and Tezzeret isn't even that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    I think Wizards has done a good job and producing fair land destruction cards recently. I don't think land destruction is a viable strategy in itself, but there are decent options to run in Standard that can get rid of problematic lands.

My two favorites:

Tectonic Edge
    Acidic Slime

If you play either of those outside of EDH you are doing it wrong sir.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Tectonic Edge is a staple in Caw-Blade; The most played deck in Standard.

Team
    Left
    Field

Additionally Slime is an auto-include in any deck with Lotus Cobra (RUG, RG ramp, Mono-Green...).
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Right since Wizards prints playable land destruction in standard they are doing a good job? The fact these cards get played just means standard is a format defined by shitty cards surrounding one or two good ones (Jace atm).

Standard is just a garbage format and therefor doesn't count and isn't this a legacy forum?

What is the last land destruction spell to see play in legacy? Devastating dreams? That was printed how many years ago?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

What is the last land destruction spell to see play in legacy? Devastating dreams? That was printed how many years ago?
    Beast Within - kinda new. Kinda.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Stifle.

Fetchlands and free counterspells make land destruction a losing strategy, so the best LD in the format are lands and counters.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Standard is just a garbage format and therefor doesn't count and isn't this a legacy forum?
    Slow down there....I was simply replying to your post in where you referenced nonbasic lands and land destruction specifically in Standard:

Regardless, they are still printing decent cards, just not as good as existing ones we have for Legacy. If Wasteland were ever banned (hypothetical, no I don't think it ever will or should be), Ghost Quarter would see more regular play. Anything stronger than what we currently have would be kind of insane.

Team
    Left
    Field

Jun 2010
    Central NY

The red one was my favorite. Closest in reality is Lava Blister by the way.

The black one... yes, it is potentially a 4 for 1. So is Archivist. Not to mention Jace's potential CA is potentially much higher than 4, and on top of that he can deal with dudes on the board. LMAO @ adding split second. Maybe if it cost 1BBB instead.

The green one is approximately Goyf, yet it can't be run unless you're playing against a greedy manabase. Maybe this would be better at keeping blue honest:

1GG
    Creature - 2/2
    Cannot be countered.
    Islandwalk.
    Cannot attack if you control any islands.
    Gets +1/+1 for each basic land type opponents control.

Now I don't like it, it's a bit clunky, but it gets the job done.
    And... this.

Enchantment
    When 'this' comes into play, choose a color.
    Nonbasic lands that can produce the chosen color come into play tapped and don't untap during their controller's untap step.
    At the end of each turn, tap all nonbasic lands that can produce the chosen color.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Oh, also

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    I wasn't saying isn't that they need to print other spells on the power level of Brainstorm. What I was trying to say is that I'd like to see WotC make more cards that don't implicitly present Magic as a game where creatures are the only good way to win, and I think a big part of this is to print good non-creature spells in every color. I can see how I didn't come right out and say that, exactly, but I didn't say whatever it is you apparently think I did either. Any suggestion to the contrary is "simply retarded," and demonstrates that you don't pay attention to what people are actually trying to communicate.
    Um, seriously though? Bans are not the answer. More, better cards of other non-blue colors, and good anti-Island sideboard hate-- these are what we need. The problem is that from a standpoint of the current card design paradigm, I'm not entirely sure that R&D is on the same page. I see them continuing to print good, undercosted creatures across the color pie, but I don't know if non-blue colors will get the good spells they need. And I don't know if we'll see a return of good, color-based hate cards.

I seriously think it's just contrarian to argue that Brainstorm is unhealthy for the format. Yes, it's a yardstick of what a good cantrip looks like. Yes, this is the only constructed format where you can play four in a list, and yes, people tend to do this. It's because it's a fucking good spell, and people like to use it. Outside the context of Vintage, where Brainstorm gives you more consistency to find spells that, you know, really are broken, it's safe, and despite the shuffling that goes along with its use, I think it actually helps keep Legacy matches within time constraints (since it increases consistency), and potentially swingier and less predictable (since it can often help an unfavored deck find what they need to win a particular matchup, or at least be able to make a play that keeps them in the game.) It's not unbeatable, and it doesn't deserve to go away.
    I mean, you may not know what the word "yardstick" means, but...

I've said that I'd like to see a return of strong color-based hate cards (in limited doses, and effecting blue the most.) I've also said that I feel like Wizards should start printing good cards that aren't so easily splashed into decks of any base color. This was previously in this thread, and it mostly got buried, because everyone was arguing about a bunch of fucking hyperbole.
    And you said that they should print more powerful spells in other colors with Brainstorm as a yardstick. What exactly is difficult about this? You were not simply arguing for better hosers, that was an addendum and doesn't address the issue anyway.

Also, in my previous post, the one that you lambast so angrily, I presented an argument that Brainstorm is not unhealthy for the format (because as opposed to Vintage, the cards it helps you find more consistently are not truly broken).
    This is a nonsensical argument that could be applied to any card-drawing spell. Also Brainstorm can find plenty of broken cards in Legacy.

You can argue to the contrary if you want, but I feel like this is a pretty simple and self-evident point. And so you will see, I actually did "make an argument," or "present an opinion," so I don't see why you're so angry.
    I get irritated that people make statements they don't actually understand.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I am still really looking forward to the set Imperiosaur is from. I really like cards like Cryptic Command and Fangren Firstborn or a set full of cards like Imperiosaur that reward playing mono-colored decks. That lets Wizards print super powerful cards without making them easy to splash.
    InfoNinjas

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    I am still really looking forward to the set Imperiosaur is from. I really like cards like Cryptic Command and Fangren Firstborn or a set full of cards like Imperiosaur that reward playing mono-colored decks. That lets Wizards print super powerful cards without making them easy to splash.
    Fact is that most of such a cards suck compared to the multicolored. That, or people cheat them into play somehow. All those green Elementals with GGGG in thier mana cost, all those Angels with WWW... people just reanimate them in a blue shell. And Fangren Firstborn is awful compared to Iona. (I know that it was just an example and that you did not thought of it been the most relevant green spell ever.)
    If they make some hard-to-splash hosers on wheels, it'll be different. Something along the lines of the new Troll, or some Choke creature, etc.

Thread Information