Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue needs a Nerf

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Re: Blue needs a Nerf

I think one of the factors that is responsible for the monthly "Blue needs a BAN" magazine is that most players havent recognized that it is not just challenging to play against blue decks, but is also quite difficult to actually play all sort of blue decks.
    Both positions are heavily underestimated and so the more unsatisfied complains, which is most of the times the non-blue-player.
    It takes a rather high ammount of testing and getting to know opposing decks to pilot BOTH blue and non-blue. Many very good articles exist which describe that exact "problem" which is omnipresent in nearly each format and could simply be solved:
    Know.Your.Deck.And.Play.It.Well.

It is incredibly skillful to turn a game into someones favour regardless which deck plays against eachother as long as both pilots mastered their deck (well, most of the time).
    I would go that far that 7 out of 10 players actually dont know how to play THEIR OWN (aka copy_paste) deck correct. It is tempting to say that the color of blue involves a lot more thinking and is in terms of beeing a complicated deck far above than nearly all sort of Aggro-decks, but thats not really true. Just because your playing Zoo or Goblins you arent playing a dumb deck. Combat math, calculation, sideboard/mulligan-decisions and the ability to mindgame and turn games around due to unusual plays do exist and this is true for these decks as much as for every other deck (when not more important). Tapping dudes to the win is not easy when you reached the point as a player that you understood that it isnt about just tapping mana and curving out all the time. Beeing constantly successful with aggressive decks, playing blue or not, is hard work and if you arent willing to invest that much effort dont try to compensate your lack of skill with unreasonable longing for banning cards like Force of Will or Brainstorm.
    Use your energy to advance your plays and understanding your deck as well as how you could grind out all sort of blue decks.

PS: Says the dude that is playing Dredge and Burn recently... .
    In response...Hypothek!

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Simply to say, if I play against group of kids who can build up only some boros agro decks its like this:

"Dont play stasis, its boring"
    *Stasis removed*
    "Dont play Teferi, its too strong"
    *Teferi removed*

and when it was over it was like

"Dont play good blue cards, dont play blue at all, because we dont play blue and we dont like to play against blue".

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

There is a card printed, that punishes players playing Brainstorm and Jace's +0 ability:

There's also 8 Red blasts in the format. Blue lately is pretty weak to Burn strategies. However, Burn is pretty bad most of the time against everything else.

This seems like this month's rant thread about how "My pet deck isn't good enough to beat the IT deck".
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    There is a card printed, that punishes players playing Brainstorm and Jace's +0 ability:

There's also 8 Red blasts in the format. Blue lately is pretty weak to Burn strategies. However, Burn is pretty bad most of the time against everything else.

This seems like this month's rant thread about how "My pet deck isn't good enough to beat the IT deck".
    nah...rock based decks with strong discard has no problems with blue decks.

i was just looking at the top decks in the louisville GP and realized almost all decks had a variation of blue.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post

Wow so good, a conditional lightning bolt that's dead against non-brainstorm non-jace decks.

No seriously, Runeflare sucks donkey balls. If i wanted to hate out blue i'd rather run carpet of flowers or smth of that level.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Wow so good, a conditional lightning bolt that's dead against non-brainstorm non-jace decks.

No seriously, Runeflare sucks donkey balls. If i wanted to hate out blue i'd rather run carpet of flowers or smth of that level.
    You're wrong. Runeflare trap can deal 7 damage for R, which is devastating. Ad Nauseam decks cast Brainstorm sometimes.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

We all can agree that any deck playing blue is attempting to use the strengths of Brainstorm, Force of Will, and Mental Misstep together. Merfolk is the outlyer because it's an aggro deck, but all the others will play those cards for sure.

Simple strategies that attack multiple resources, like hand, or lands, or together like Pox are good against these decks. Devastating Dreams in Aggro Loam, or a resolved Seismic Assault with an active Loam can demand control against these decks, but it needs to pack enough disruption.

Imagine a deck like Aggro Loam with Raven's Crime to beat the control decks, and Devastating dreams to beat the aggro decks.

The big 3 blue cards aren't going anywhere, nor will they banned any time soon. Stop complaining and build to beat that strategy. Goblins is not going to continue to perform if it never adapts.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I'm not saying anything needs to be banned, but have you guys played against these control decks? How can goblins "adapt" or anything adapt? They counter all your plays starting with turn 1, sitting back doing nothing but countering and dropping standstill.. even on an empty board with no factories. I play merfolk and if they counter your turn 1 vial, you lose the game. So I have no idea how any other deck that plays creatures can resolve anything. Every deck needs heavy discard? This doesn't even include the peace keepers, wraths, deeds etc (pick one card) that all they have to do is protect... Then drop Jace and its over.

I find this very interesting and look forward to see how/if the meta can adapt.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SlopeeJ View Post
    How can goblins "adapt"
    By playing Mental Misstep itself.

If you can't beat them, join them
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    By playing Mental Misstep itself.

If you can't beat them, join them
    that's just wrong in a goblin deck

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
    that's just wrong in a goblin deck
    No, it's wrong to play bad lists.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Nothing is "just wrong"

"just wrong" is ignorance

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

+dollars for me. Maverick with Thrun and Blurred Mongoose is definitely a blue players bad day. Play blue please, it makes it easier to get moolah. I'm so loving this landstill craze right now with players who aren't used to reacting to meta changes and just play straight up lists.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

The Hatfields and David Price all make day 2. With Zoo.

A bunch of great players could have played misstep or batterskull today decided there isn't anything better to do in this meta than playing cat tribal.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

You guys are being really short sighted. Mental Misstep doesn't change as much as people think it does. The main thing it did was make people THINK that blue was stronger and decks with lots of one drops were weaker which means more people playing blue and less people playing fast aggro decks. What people will soon find out though, is that adding 4x Mental Missteps to a deck that used to not be favorable to Zoo and Goblins does not make that deck favorable to Zoo and Goblins by default. Last year at this time the best decks were probably UG Madness and Ub Merfolk and only one person knew it for each deck, I think we will learn a lot again this year and I expect the top 16 to look different than any recent SCG top 16. Mental Misstep is a strong card indeed, but saying that now that it came out Blue beats Zoo and Gobs is a joke.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Nobody said Zoo or Midrange aggro couldnt beat blue deck. I would say it is quite a fair fight depending on the builds. But those aggro decks are just underdog to combo. You can do well with Zoo if you got good pairings but you could do as well with blue-based deck without luck involved. The only reason to choose Zoo over Merfolk is because you expect a lot of Merfolk hate or no combo at all. But most of the time you should just pick blue-based deck because these are good against everything (and one of the reason is fow beeing too versatile/good).

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

FoW actually tends to be sided out in a lot of matchups, so this is not really the overpowered blue card. What really makes blue seemingly unfair is all of the card draw and filtering, enabling a far more consistent strategy by not being at the mercy of the topdeck.

This topic needs more Thrun, the Last Troll. Seriously, why haven't more people tested him? He is controls worse nightmare.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    FoW actually tends to be sided out in a lot of matchups
    That's news to me. I don't think that I've ever sided out FoW against anything. Care to elaborate on the MUs that it's sided out in?
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    This topic needs more Thrun, the Last Troll. Seriously, why haven't more people tested him? He is controls worse nightmare.
    I'm sorry, Your comments are devolving at a steady pace. For the same cost, cast a Jace. Control hates that too. You think this is news?

Thread Information