Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix Providence- Most Popular Cards. Let's ban BLUE!

Re: Grand Prix Providence- Most Popular Cards. Let's ban BLUE!

ban brainstorm. It simultaneously hurts combo while making anti-combo strats like discard better against combo, and hurts blue overall. It also still enables all the 8 cantrip strategies since they can still use ponder and preordain, which are worse than brainstorm, but still strong on their own.

historically the best and "most fair" way to limit blue has been to make the color choose between casting sorceries or casting counters. since legacy has 12 free counters the choice has to become between casting filtration and casting sorceries.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I agree with morgan's suggestion re: brainstorm.

They could also print some powerful cards in the vein of Force of Will that require you to go heavily on the one color to play them effectively/consistently. With easily splashable powerful cards like Tarmogoyf and Dark Confidant, there isn't as much incentive to go beyond just splashing for those colors outside of linear strategies like elves or goblins. For example, suppose this were a card:

Force of Woe
    3BB
    Instant
    You may pay 1 life and remove a black card in your hand from the game rather than pay Force of Woe's mana cost.
    Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Please don't say Llawan XD
    It's kind of funny/sad that the best card to use against the best mono blue deck is in fact, blue. Does this make anyone feel blue?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Force of Woe
    3BB
    Instant
    You may pay 1 life and remove a black card in your hand from the game rather than pay Force of Woe's mana cost.
    Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
    Unmask. Problem isn't solved. Also, there is a blue version of the above spell. Vendilion Clique. :\ Blue really does have the best of every color.

Psionic Blast
    Piracy Charm
    Pongify
    Vendilion Clique
    Sunder

Plus many more which I can't think of right now.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Unmask. Problem isn't solved :(
    Unmask is a sorcery. The advantage of my hypothetical card is that it's an instant.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

R&D employs a principle that discard spells can't be instant. The only exception from this, I know of, is Ebony Charm.

/edit: Uh right, it's Funeral Charm, not Ebony Charm. My bad.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Funeral Charm
    Piracy Charm

Are the few exceptions, and only because it's a modal spell that otherwise needs to be Instant speed.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Funeral Charm
    Piracy Charm

Are the few exceptions, and only because it's a modal spell that otherwise needs to be Instant speed.
    and they affected player gets the choice, making it far less broken.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    So, Mental Misstep is better than Force of Will?
    Not that I would go that far, but Force is really the card I am most unsatisfied with when playing a blue deck, well most of the times. No joke. I am even testing right now to replace its spot in some decks and you know what? Its not as worse as you think it is, by far. I can completely understand that decks drop its numbers or even stop playing it at all because you are able to disrupt the opponents game-plan in a way that 4-Forces arent an auto-include anymore. Thats definetly not true for all sort of decks but especially for those who are able to disrupt the opponent kinda elegant via Clique, Gaddock etc. and other cards that kicks the opponent awful in the nuts when played at the correct time.
    Force is definetly NOT the formats problem (if its existing at all) and I would calm down in general and try to stick to strategies that are able to come across all these.
    As said above, Dragon Stompy is an awesome choice right now, as well as Dredge and a lot of decks that were formerly known as rogue-decks.
    I can just recommend to sit together with friends to brew about even completely new decks and strategies; a ability that has lost its value since quite some time. Good deckbuilders have become rare and a lot of players lost their confidence and motivation due to childish hating on playing a "pile" or not testing correct and for long enough time.
    The copy_paste monsters is as big as it never was before (which is not a big surprise, welcome to the internet!) and this does some serious damage to the game as well as to the community, a lot of players are simply goddamn lazy.
    I think most of the players who complain completely deserve all these losses until they make themselves responsible for such weird results in Top16/8's. Understanding that you are part of the big Magic-cake (which is indeed deep blue right now) is necessary to understand that, but I know right now that this wont happen to the extend that is needed.
    The metagame-shift is based upon players, so go out and do some work, it seems that you have enough energy to complain in forums so put it into something more productive.
    If at least 20% of the meta would be decks that hate out the common blue decks, let that happen, then something WILL change. Sure its exaggerated but playing a deck that punishes players for relying hard on the color of blue is a must when the meta should change right now.
    Otherwise there is the possibility of getting to know the deck you play way better and adapt new (sb)strategies, which is also completely underestimated. Most of the common problems could be fixed if players would start to work on their play and understanding MU's in general.
    In response...Hypothek!

Are you all serious? banning brainstorm is the biggest joke I've ever heard. Like, I literally can't tell if its all just sarcasm, and I hope it is. If you ban brainstorm, Legacy as a format dies. Just dies. The second WoTC bans brainstorm is the second that I ship every magical card I own, as they'll all be worthless within a year. Get real
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

There would be less incentive to play blue if that the Brainstorm ban were to happen. On the flip side, it would make Merfolk much stronger. Regarding combo, its hey-days are gone with the arrival of MM. AnT/Spiral Tide would get the final nail in the coffin without BS as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Ice View Post
    There would probably be less incentive to play blue if that the Brainstorm ban were to happen. On the flip side, it would make Merfolk much stronger. Regarding combo, its hey-days are gone with the arrival of MM. AnT/Spiral Tide would get the final nail in the coffin without BS as well.
    But belcher and other stupid combo decks would get even better, because the blue decks designed to keep them in check wouldn't have brainstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    Are you all serious? banning brainstorm is the biggest joke I've ever heard. Like, I literally can't tell if its all just sarcasm, and I hope it is. If you ban brainstorm, Legacy as a format dies. Just dies. The second WoTC bans brainstorm is the second that I ship every magical card I own, as they'll all be worthless within a year. Get real
    I must say I'm thinking the exact same. I really hope that's some kind of unfunny joke. Won't ~50% of the people playing this format just instantly quit Legacy if that happens? I know many people who will, anyway (including myself). And no, people won't quit because they can't win without Brainstorm. They will quit because the format simply isn't Legacy anymore.

In any case, the difference between players in the top 8 and the top 32 is very small, so I think it's pretty dumb to make any kind of decision based only on information from the top 8.

There are other ways to weaken blue without taking away one of the most iconic, cool and fun cards that has ever been printed. IF they need to axe a blue card (and I don't think they really need to), it should definitely be Mental Misstep. It's not fun to play with this card in any way, it increases the power of blue decks by giving them yet another good tempo play, it makes anti-blue strategies worse (Aether Vial, Putrid Imp, Steppe Lynx etc..). Most importantly, the art sucks balls. It's cool that WotC is printing cards specifically for Legacy, but they should probably stop feeding blue with absurd cards and instead focus on the other colors.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    But belcher and other stupid combo decks would get even better, because the blue decks designed to keep them in check wouldn't have brainstorm.
    Absolutely. Though with Merfolk running the show, those decks shouldn't really stand much chance of dominating. Pierce, Force, MM, Daze, (even Snare). But yeah, belcher/SI would get a boost.

Brainstorm is one of, if not the, most skill intensive cards ever printed. I also find the talk of it getting banned absurd. Worringly enough, it is not completly out of the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

You will quit because ONE card is banned? I just want to have Brainstorm banned now, to see if you really would sell all your stuff in an instant.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I quit at least 7 times since Survival got banned.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I play Legacy for Brainstorm. Eat it WotC!

Not really, but Brainstorm is such a format defining card, like Sol Ring is the iconic symbol of EDH (even if it's clearly overpowered).

I would say the power level of Brainstorm.dec is tremendous, but there are still a ton of viable decks that place well even without Brainstorm. This is why this format is so awesome. You ban brainstorm, means you don't understand the format.

Also, if you keep suggesting banning blue cards, don't be surprised that you'll have to ban 1/3 of the cards in the format because now combo decks (tendrils or NOShow or Reanimator etc) will have a much dominating scene in Legacy. You pay a price everytime you ban something. Decks surge up and die, but I would imagine without blue to keep combo decks in check, aggro wouldn't be too happy, then we get a ton more whining going on, because for some reason it's always the aggro people whining about blue being overpowered since ABU was printed, and not the combo player, ironically.

Lol.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by MWR View Post
    You will quit because ONE card is banned? I just want to have Brainstorm banned now, to see if you really would sell all your stuff in an instant.
    Do you wanna buy mine if it is banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I quit at least 7 times since Survival got banned.

I quit this format one thousand times!

Banning Brainstorm did kill Vintage, so there is a precedent. Legacy is awesome in spite of being blue heavy right now (at least that's what I hear 99% of all players say) and has what feels like a million viable archetypes (and a large number of them doesn't run blue). Seriously, don't go there if you want to still be playing this format two years from now.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Thread Information