Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storming to Day 2: A Loser's Report.

Storming to Day 2: A Loser's Report.

My decision of what to play at GP: Providence was fairly simple. If you have a Japanese foil deck, play it. My car was Adam Barnello (Nightmare), Alex Artese (Munkie), and myself. We left early Friday morning for our trip to Providence. We talked about music, women, and nerd shit, who would’ve guessed?

We eventually arrived at the nerd center, first person we see is Chuck (CDR) and shortly after we find out we can’t use any of the Source items how lame. I walked a couple tables over and there were the artists. I had my four Japanese Foil Duress along with my Japanese Foil Deathmarks signed, along with my Japanese Foil Slithermuse, Italian Foil Terastodon, and some smaller things (Everyone from Syracuse knows my love for this card). While waiting in line I noticed a Grozoth painting, my initial thought was “fuck yes!”, then “FUCK”. I literally have a binder full of Grozoth from a deal with Zach Tartell, that I could’ve had the artist sign. He wasn’t on the list of artists attending the GP…

I hit the dealer booths to look for Japanese Foil Xantid Swarms but have zero luck, unfortunate. I end up selling half of my junk binder and get some cards I was looking to get for my three EDH decks as well as a few legacy cards. By the end of the weekend I cut down my foil list from 17 to 7, I think I did pretty well.

I end up getting dinner with Jon Quackenbush and a couple other people from the Albany area, we decide to stop at Union Station Brewery and get food there. It was fantastic, their “Brewberry” wheat beer and Buffalo Chicken pizza were amazing.

GP: Providence begins… right before the event I decide to cut the Metdown in the board for a third Pyroblast.

The EPIC Storm

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Infernal Tutor
    3 Orim’s Chant
    3 Duress
    2 Xantid Swarm
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony

3 Pyroblast
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Duress
    1 Shattering Spree

Round One: **Bye**

1-0

Round Two: Jake Gans with Ichorid

Game One: He opens with land, Putrid Imp, go. I play Underground Sea and Ponder. He upkeep discards, dredges, Breakthrough, Therapy you three times.

Sideboarding: -2 Xantid Swarm, -1 Empty the Warrens, -3 Orim’s Chant, +3 Pyroblast, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress

Game Two: I keep a hand of Fetch, Duress, Duress, Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Ponder. I Duress, and look at Study x 2, Breakthrough, Imp, land, and dredgers. I take Breakthrough. Pass. He plays Imp, Pass, I draw another Tutor, Ponder, fail to find mana, shuffle, draw a cantrip. He discards, dredges, study, then casts Breakthrough…

1-1

Round Three: Luke Bardsley with Painter

Game One: Game One: He mulligans and opens with Furnace, Welder. I play Xantid. We attack each other for a while, I eventually cast Ad Nauseam. He’s stuck with two forces in his hand.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, +3 Pyroblast

Game Two: He opens with Painter, Mox, Grindstone, go.

Game Three: I resolve turn one Xantid, turn two, Ritual, Rite of Flame, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Ad Nauseam.

2-1

Round Four: David Fortuna with Affinity

Game One: He gets a very fast draw and puts me to 6 on his turn three, on my turn three, I Ill-Gotten Gains loop him out.

Sideboarding: - 2 Xantid Swarm, -1 Orim’s Chant, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress, +1 Wipeaway

Game Two: He opens with some small dudes, attacks me to fifteen while I’m busy cantripping and shuffling back protection spells. I then resolve Ad Nauseam, he asks what it is.

Afterwards we talk about Affinity since I also play it, he exchanges some of his Japanese cards for English ones to help pimp mine. He was a nice guy.

3-1

Round Five: Alex Morrill with Zoo

Game One: He mulligans to three, I Duress, he scoops.

Sideboarding: - 2 Xantid Swarm, -1 Orim’s Chant, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress, +1 Wipeaway

Game Two: I have the win on my turn three after shuffling and drawing a Rite of Flame off of a ponder, but I draw Tendrils for my turn and can’t become Hellbent for Infernal and die to cat scratches.

Game Three: I mulligan and my opponent tells me he hopes I mulligan to three, I’m thinking two things, “ I hope this guy chokes” and “What a fucking doushebag”. I refuse to mulligan down to five against Zoo, my hand is Petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Rite of Flame, Brainstorm, Petal. I Petal, Brainstorm into two fetchlands and a Chant. I cantrip again during my next turn a few times, my opponent slams and I mean slams his choke. Both of my lands are tapped. I guess I lose to Zoo, and need to win out. (Spoilers: I do)

3-2

Round Six: Trenton Bollinger with Burn

Game One: If there’s one thing I learned about this kid is he fucking loves Phyrexian Probe. He put himself down to 14 between probes and fetches. I combo out and grab Tendrils for 14.

Game Two: I resolve Ad Nauseam on turn one after a Duress.

4-2

Round Seven: Joseph Chagnon with Merfolk

We get deck checked, I tell the judge not to lose my deck, it’s worth more than most cars. Meanwhile, I make small talk with my opponent. Then notice I’m sitting down nexr to a guy wearing all Phillies clothes. I start talking shit to him being a Mets fan, it was good fun. Judge comes back and tells me how impressive my deck is, I’m well aware.

Game One: I play turn one Xantid, It get’s misstepped. He plays Island, Cursecatcher, I play a bunch of spells and mana, and ETW for 14, one gets countered. 12 Goblins in play.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Rite of Flame, +2 Xantid Swarm, +2 Pyroblast

Game Two: My Xantid resolves, turn two, Rite of flame, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Burning Wish, Diminishing Returns, Brainstorm, Petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Tendrils of Agony.

5-2

Round Eight: Korey Age with Sneak Attack/Show and Tell

Game One: I ponder into Xantid and a cinq land. I play them turn two into a Force of Will. I then pass, and go off next turn with no protection and cast Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Rite of Flame, +2 Xantid Swarm, +2 Pyroblast

Game Two: I keep a hand of Fetchland, Ponder, Xantid, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame. He plays Island, Ponder, go. I play Ponder into, fetchland, Brainstorm, Dark Ritual. He plays, Volcanic, Petal, Show and Tell. I put Xantid Swarm into play against his Emerakul. Cover him in Bees. Fetch, Brainstorm into Ad Nauseam. Cast it.

6-2
    12-5

Round Nine: Kriss Larsen with B/W Disruption

Game One: I play Empty the Warrens for 12 on turn one. He has no outs.

Sideboarding: -2 Xantid Swarm, -2 Orim’s Chant, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress, +1 Wipeaway

Game Two: I play a turn one Ponder, turn two, putting back land and a Wipeaway, then 10 goblins. Swing, he plays some dudes, swing, I draw and start laughing forgetting I put Wipeaway on top when he has a Bob with a Jitte on it. Wipeaway his Jitte and swing for lethal.

7-2

That’s the end of day one. Adam Barnello and I made day two out of our car, we end up going out in downtown Providence to celebrate. The Waterfire and nightlife was pretty pretty ridiculous, we had drinks and ate on the river. We all ended that night saying, “I want to live here”.

Starting day two at 9am, we arrive, fill out the paper work and begin the event.

Round Ten: Joseph Schmidt with Blue Mud

Game One: I play a turn one Duress leaving him with a bunch of things he can’t cast because I took his monolith. I next turn ETW for 12 and Chantwalk twice.

Sideboarding: -2 Xantid Swarm, -2 Orim’s Chant, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress, +1 Wipeaway

Game Two: He plays turn one City of Traitors, Monolith, Key, Trinisphere, next turn Metalworker combo and shows me the staff.

Game Three: I open with Duress and take trinisphere leaving him with big dudes again. I have a turn two win, except he draws Chalice and plays it at one to shut down half of my hand. I lose to dudes shortly after.

Adding the third Pyroblast was a mistake, I never wanted to board it in, Meltdown would've won me this round.
    7-3

Round Eleven: Eugene Ho with Merfolk

Game One: He beats me down with cursecatchers down to thirteen, plays a mutavault, and a corelhelm. passes. I attempt to go off, he stops me, levels up, vials in lord, it’s lethal.

Game Two: I keep a hand of land, petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal, and the rest doesn’t matter. He doesn’t have force. Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: I cantrip into Xantid, turn two play Xantid, he forces. I brainstorm into Empty the Warrens and play Petal, Petal, Rite, Ritual, Mox, Empty the Warrens for 18. He scoops.

8-3

Round Twelve: I’m not going to say his name with Merfolk
    I don’t know about other people, but in Legacy I can sit down across from someone and I can usually tell what they’re playing based on how they’re dressed and their personality. My opponent looked like an asshole, he was playing Merfolk.

Game One: These are the cards I saw game one… Stifle, Daze, Spellpierce, Mental Misstep, Force of Will, Cursecatcher, Aether Vial, Island, Wasteland, and Lord of Atlantis. How he found room for all? No idea.

Game Two: He draws all of those cards again plus Spell Snare AND Surgical Extraction.

Call me a sore loser, that’s fine. I think half of the reason I’m so pissed about losing because the guy was an asshole. He was talking shit the entire round and was really rude to me in general.

8-4

Round Thirteen: Peter O'Brien with Reanimator

Pete was probably the nicest guy I played both days, very cool dude.

Game One: He has Forces, Missteps, and Iona all by turn Three.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Empty the Warrens, -2 Chant, -1 Ponder, -1 Rite of Flame, -1 Brainstorm, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Wipeaway, +2 Xantid Swarm, +2 Pyroblast

Game Two: It’s a long game with a lot of hand destruction, he eventually gets Platinum Angel in play. I can win through this, then he gets Iona the next turn. I lose.

8-5

Round Fourteen: Jesse Steele with Affinity

At this point I’m pretty bummed because I can’t even make top 64. I don’t really feel like playing, but I figured I might as well for rating points.

Game One: He leads with Memnite and an artifact land, plays other shit on his turn two. My turn two I Ad Nauseam drawing 23 cards. I ask him if I need to go through it, he says yes, I’m thinking, “This kid deserves this”, I start to storm up, he’s keeping track of mana and storm. Around 14 he says I have lethal storm, I say, “No, I don’t”, he responds with, “You’re going to Brainfreeze me aren’t you?!” and starts to count his deck for me, I continue to storm up to 22 or so, Burning Wish for Grapeshot. Grapeshot. That made me feel a little better.

Sideboarding: I don’t bother

Game Two: He gets a really fast start, I’m at 8 on turn 3. I go off casting Ad Nauseam because it’s all I can do. I stop at 4 and win. He reveals a Cannonist that he didn’t have the white for.

9-5

Round Fifteen: Nick Wilbur with Zoo

Nick explains to me that his last round he got a game loss game three and lost the round.

Game One: I keep a hand that’s amazing versus Merfolk, he’s not playing merfolk.

Sideboarding: - 2x Xantid Swarm, -1 Orim’s Chant, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Duress, +1 Wipeaway,

Game Two: I play turn one Ponder, turn two Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: Look at game two, but add a grapeshot for 25.

10-5

All in all it was a great time, I got a bunch of foils and hung out with a bunch of close friends. Went to the bars with the Virginians and made my second Day 2 of a Grand Prix. Thanks for reading my loser’s report.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Re: Storming to Day 2: A Loser's Report.

Thank you for posting this. Next time.

Also, I'm sorry that my suggestion ended up costing you the tournament :(.

You played some douchebags it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I don’t know about other people, but in Legacy I can sit down across from someone and I can usually tell what they’re playing based on how they’re dressed and their personality. My opponent looked like an asshole, he was playing Merfolk.
    Nice report Bryant, and I'll try to take note of this next time I play any tourneys. Good advice.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I don't know about other people, but in Legacy I can sit down across from someone and I can usually tell what they're playing based on how they're dressed and their personality. My opponent looked like an asshole, he was playing Merfolk.
    Ok, now you have to give us a primer on spotting decks based on player appearance/personality.

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

I was going to comment on the same line, as it made my day, and I see everyone already got there. Nice report.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Every time I want to stop playing Storm, you make me believe again.

I'm going to pick up your build - it looks super solid and the maindeck Xantids are excellent in the current Merfolk-infested meta.

Thanks for the report.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction"
    Conversations with Magic players --- the "Humans of Magic" podcast: on iTunes | on SoundCloud | in text format

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Congrats on the very respectable finish in bluedeck.metagame.

Bryant,

It was a pleasure meeting and playing against you. Glad to see you were able to end the tournament strong after our match.

Pete

Salt of the earth
    May 2009
    Canada

I was talking to Chuck before your car showed up, commenting on how late you guys were since I wanted my seven playmats. But, thanks for bringing them for us! Also, congrats on the finish!

Did the Affinity kid deserve it because he was a prick, or because you didn't want to Tendrils him since he was so sweet and innocent?

-Matt
    "I only drink whiskey older than my girlfriends. It's an expensive hobby at either end of the scale, no matter which way you work it. Do you go with an expensive lady, or a smooth drink? It's a real dilemma."

"I'm your Huckleberry."

"If it takes more than a day to decide, you'll never decide"

Apparently John Cox, LordofthePit, Einherjer, Mr. Safety, Imnotbrown, Treefolk Master, and Parax love what I have to say.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Did the Affinity kid deserve it because he was a prick, or because you didn't want to Tendrils him since he was so sweet and innocent?

-Matt
    I guess he was suppose to concede.

Hi, I'm Alex the Zoo player you played against on Day 1. I have to apologize that you missed my humor in telling you I wanted you to mull to 3. I did not actually want that, as tough to believe as that may be. I would have rather had us play a real game. I merely made a dry joke about my mull in our first game. I did put the Choke on the table rather quickly but I felt that the play was rather key to the game and was surprised I was even given the opportunity to cast Choke in such an advantageous position when it played a key role in Game 2 as well. You failed to mention that I Red Elemental Blast'd your second Brainstorm in Game 3 to keep you from making up on your disadvantage in mulling to 6. It was a ballsy keep that did not work out, though probably would have if that Brainstorm resolves. I have to admit that I did not recognize your name and was not 100% on what deck you were playing until you revealed your hand at the end of Game 3. In hindsight, I sideboarded completely and utterly wrong and essentially stole a match from you. If it makes you feel better, I flamed out on Day 2 and failed to cash. Again, apologies on coming off as an asshole. I apparently have a knack for that but have been told that people come around once they get to know me.

Also, you spelled douchebag wrong. It must come from looking at all your foreign, foil cards all the time. Your deck was significantly more sexy than mine.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Buffalo Chicken pizza were amazing.
    Best fucking part of this report.

Afterwards we talk about Affinity since I also play it, he exchanges some of his Japanese cards for English ones to help pimp mine. He was a nice guy.
    You play Affinity ?

Round Eight: Korey Age with Sneak Attack/Show and Tell
    Korey and you top 8'd last year. Pretty cool you played him again.

We all ended that night saying, “I want to live here”.
    This is why I love reading your reports.

Round Ten: Joseph Schmidt with Blue Mud
    Once I saw this, I knew it wasn't going to end well.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I love how half of the people on this forum would serve their tongue if you ever lacked toilet paper after crap.

Good report, nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

May I quote your amazing skill? :)

Sucks that you lost to douchebags talking shit. Good finish despite all the Merfolk.

If someone plays control like Landstill or Counterbalance, what kind of person are they? I assume people that play Burn are kids?

Salt of the earth
    May 2009
    Canada

What kind of deck does a person play if they wear a suit to the GP? (I did).

-Matt
    "I only drink whiskey older than my girlfriends. It's an expensive hobby at either end of the scale, no matter which way you work it. Do you go with an expensive lady, or a smooth drink? It's a real dilemma."

"I'm your Huckleberry."

"If it takes more than a day to decide, you'll never decide"

Apparently John Cox, LordofthePit, Einherjer, Mr. Safety, Imnotbrown, Treefolk Master, and Parax love what I have to say.

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

You're shit talking with the Phillies fan was hilarious. I'm really glad I got to sit by that.
    Check out my Articles

BZK Powertool

Jul 2009
    Glens Falls, NY

Quote Originally Posted by rocketrae21 View Post
    You're shit talking with the Phillies fan was hilarious. I'm really glad I got to sit by that.
    I get to sit through it every time I see bryant. Good times. (Especially when he looses to elves after grapeshotting me game 1.)

Congrats on making day 2, and bad beats on some of those MU's and draws. Hopefully I'll see you around again so the trash talk can continue
    Will says I'm in BZK. I don't know what is going on.

Hold it. Cyril van der Haegen was there? DAMMIT.

Light 'da fuse!
    Mar 2010
    Douglas, MA

Game One: If there’s one thing I learned about this kid is he fucking loves Phyrexian Probe.
    It's Gitaxian Probe, and I don't particularly love it. That's a damn-near impossible match up as it is.

I was a little bitter to be faced vs Belcher in the 3-0 slot, then see you after drawing poorly vs Merfolk.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

The right version. Just for you.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Thread Information