Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Zur, the Enchanter. Ultra Competitive 1 vs 1

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: [EDH] Zur, the Enchanter. Ultra Competitive 1 vs 1

Tax counters are surprisingly effective in edh 1 on 1. The curve is really high and people often don't play around 1 offs like daze/pierce etc. It's also very useful in counter wars because usually the opponent will leave exact mana up for a counter spell. The early game in 1 on 1 is very important because once you stick a zur and necro, you no longer care for dead draws.

Also generals get + 2 mana cost every time they die. You will see a lot of people paying exacties mana for their general later in the game.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I just played Preator's Grasp today and the card is something you might want to look into. Grasp raises the threat count and grabs any answer you need provided opponent has it in deck and you can play it.

It was everything I thought it would be. Kind of like a Demonic Tutor that puts the opponents best card in exile for you to play it when ready.... The first one took his Bribery(Iona) and then I YWilled and recast it to take Jace2.0 just incase he got rid of the one I had in play.

Might be a bit biased after using it, but omgwtfbbq!1eleven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Preator's Grasp might be a pretty good edh card, but don't fits in this build. it is not instant speed. and you might find not the card you need

what do you think of:
    mental misstep
    impulse
    preordain
    hobble
    turn aside
    hindering light
    countersquall
    mortyfy
    tainted pact
    story circle
    and necromancy
    ???

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Signets in a competitive deck? :X
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just into this format today and I'm wondering why no one plays doomsday. My normal piles are

<top>
    -------
    ideas unbound
    leyline of the void
    helm of obedience
    dark ritual
    mana vault
    ---------
    <bottom>
    Note* -I don't have a meditate If I did it would replace Idea's unbound
    or

<top>
    brainstorm
    shelldock isle
    blight steel colossus
    cloud of faeries
    force of will
    <bottom>

Gold-Member

May 2009
    New York, USA

I guess its too situational and risky to play for what is entails.

Does anyone use Teferi in Zur? I imagine he could be quite helpful against control in making sure that we can successfully land Zur. If they counter Teferi then thats one less counter for Zur and the may be tapped out as well.

Edit: You could also perhaps benefit from Isochron Scepter. If can prove very helpful if it you can get it to stick.
    Last edited by ultimoman; 06-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    I just into this format today and I'm wondering why no one plays doomsday. My normal piles are

<top>
    -------
    ideas unbound
    leyline of the void
    helm of obedience
    dark ritual
    mana vault
    ---------
    <bottom>
    Note* -I don't have a meditate If I did it would replace Idea's unbound
    or

<top>
    brainstorm
    shelldock isle
    blight steel colossus
    cloud of faeries
    force of will
    <bottom>
    Most people don't probably because its only really effective in 1v1 play, and you are so all-in on the spell after DD resolving that some people aren't comfortable with that. I think it is pretty underused though. The second pile is a little risky, as you have to hope for no counter, no removal, no lots of opposing creatures. Seems very conditional, especially with all the bribery going around
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I took the second pile out of my list, but still use the first. Even without doomsday helm+leyline wins games. Doomsday is my "go to" card for 1v1, while Ad Nauseam is what I use for multiplayer.

If you're going to make a competitive 1v1 deck, at least adhere to the french banlist. Your best card (Necropotence) is banned. As is Sol Ring, and Sensei's Divining Top.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KamahlFoK View Post
    If you're going to make a competitive 1v1 deck, at least adhere to the french banlist. Your best card (Necropotence) is banned. As is Sol Ring, and Sensei's Divining Top.
    French banlist? There is only one real ban list: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    French banlist? There is only one real ban list: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php
    The EDH format is not normally built to be competitive, nor was it created with 1v1 in mind. The French banlist (and rules, only difference being 30 life instead of 40) is designed with 1v1 in mind, and takes out "jump start" cards like sol ring and serra ascendant. You should adhere to it in terms of 1v1 tournaments you organize. http://www.magictrade.org/magic-foru...22162-0-0.html

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Fuckin' A!

The French banned list a joke. Actually, EDH is a damn joke. I fail to see how banning top/sol ring/mana crypt and allowing people to play shit like Tolarian Acdemy, LoA, and Balance is remotely fair. But then again, it's a casual format, so play whatever you feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown of Tresserhorn View Post
    Fuckin' A!

The French banned list a joke. Actually, EDH is a damn joke. I fail to see how banning top/sol ring/mana crypt and allowing people to play shit like Tolarian Acdemy, LoA, and Balance is remotely fair. But then again, it's a casual format, so play whatever you feel like.
    All of those are banned, the French banlist is in addition to the normal one. Try reading it. Or, if you can't, you could always use Google translate.

You are running Hinder, but not Spell Crumple. Is there a specific reason for this?

Bolshevik Style

Oct 2004
    Mother Russia

Dispel!

I cant emphasize enough how strong this card is in competitive EDH!

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Necropotence, Propaganda and Ghostly Prison are amazing targets for Zur as well. Have you considered them?
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
    Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” - Inferno

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Am playing necro and spell crumple. Haven't updated the list after commander decks were released. Will post it when I have the time. Also added command tower, misdirection and disrupt. I don't dig propaganda effects, solitary confinement is better. But usually if you are being swamped, something is wrong. An oring a turn/ infinite counter spells should be enough to win you the game. This list is assuming 1 vs 1 competitive. Confinement/propaganda/prison are very bad cards to draw, so I don't run em.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by KamahlFoK View Post
    The EDH format is not normally built to be competitive, nor was it created with 1v1 in mind. The French banlist (and rules, only difference being 30 life instead of 40) is designed with 1v1 in mind, and takes out "jump start" cards like sol ring and serra ascendant. You should adhere to it in terms of 1v1 tournaments you organize. http://www.magictrade.org/magic-foru...22162-0-0.html
    Why? Why should we adhere to it? It's not an official format banned list and if I ended up organizing a 1v1 tournament locally instead of our Pod events I wouldn't bother using the French list. I don't agree with the banning of Sol Ring and any of the fast mana cards, they're part of what makes EDH fun for a lot of people.

I understand the premise behind it, but don't agree with it.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Am playing necro and spell crumple. Haven't updated the list after commander decks were released. Will post it when I have the time. Also added command tower, misdirection and disrupt. I don't dig propaganda effects, solitary confinement is better. But usually if you are being swamped, something is wrong. An oring a turn/ infinite counter spells should be enough to win you the game. This list is assuming 1 vs 1 competitive. Confinement/propaganda/prison are very bad cards to draw, so I don't run em.
    I'm looking to give a friend a Zur list, this looks solid enough, is there an updated list? (I tried PMing you, clean out your inbox)

Thread Information