Thread: [Free Article] The Top Dredgers at Grand Prix Providence

[Free Article] The Top Dredgers at Grand Prix Providence

Last week, I contacted four players who made top 32 at GP Providence, all playing Dredge, and sent them a list of questions. The compiled results are long, but I found them to be rich with strategy. I included all four decks at the end of the article. If you're a Dredge player, or want to be one, this article has a wealth of information to inform your deckbuilding and play decisions.

Huge thanks to Max Brown, Jake Gans, Justin Russell, and Daniel Brooks for basically writing my article for me this week!

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...rovidence.html
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: [Free Article] The Top Dredgers at Grand Prix Providence

Interesting to see that the most basic list placed the highest.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Thanks, these are very insightful info, as usual =)

As noted by (nameless one), "Interesting to see that the most basic list placed the highest. "

One of the most insightful info is DDD. I believe it to be the right call, draw first game.

(btw, did you forget justin in the end? )
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

My filter at work doesn't let SCG through so i'm going to have to read this later, Matt, but thank you for writing it in advance. Since selling my collection I've been primarily a Dredge player as it was the cheapest/most beat of my decks so and is still competitive, so it made sense to keep it, and I've been invested in bettering myself as a player and my build. It'll be interesting to see the lists and how they fared/against what/how bad Mental Misstep hurt (since all I hear is "Dredge is dead since Misstep") and maybe learn something I didn't already know.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Mar 2010
    Houston, TX

Alright Matt, I suppose that you've redeemed yourself with respect to Dredge ;)

Seriously, though, great article. I loved the interview format.

Ditto, great article and very helpful to new players like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    Thanks, these are very insightful info, as usual =)

As noted by (nameless one), "Interesting to see that the most basic list placed the highest. "

One of the most insightful info is DDD. I believe it to be the right call, draw first game.

(btw, did you forget justin in the end? )
    Unintentionally, yes. Justin submitted his piece a bit after the deadline, so I'd already written and submitted the article; I edited his stuff back in b/c his responses were excellent and resubmitted it. I just forgot to update the end. Sorry Justin!
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Thread Information