Thread: GP Providence Top 32 Archetypes- Metagame Analysis

GP Providence Top 32 Archetypes- Metagame Analysis

Hey all, I'm trying to do an in depth metagame analysis of GP Providence to see what the story was outside of the Top 8. I've confirmed the following archetypes:

1. Bant
    2. Hive Mind
    3. NO RUG
    4. Deedstill
    5. Stoneblade Landstill
    6. Welder Grindstone
    7. Zoo
    8. Merfolk
    9. Dredge
    10. UW Control (with Ancestral Visions)
    11. Bant
    12. Sparkblade Landstill
    13. UWR Mystic
    14. Zoo
    15. Elves
    16. RUG Bloodbraid Visions
    17. Darkblade
    18. Merfolk
    19. Junk
    20. NO RUG
    21. Aluren
    22. Stoneblade Landstill
    23. NO Bant
    24. Dredge
    25. Junk
    26. Merfolk
    27. Lands
    28. Dredge
    29. Dredge
    30. Zoo
    31. UW Merfolk
    32. Sneak and Show
    Last edited by Griselpuff; 06-09-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: updated

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Re: GP Providence Top 32 Archetypes- Metagame Analysis

17. Tom Martell - UWB Stoneblade
    22. Eric Froehlich - UW Stoneblade Landstill

Yeah, Caffrey played Lands at Providence.

Hmm so it looks like

Aggro- 12
    Control- 6
    Combo- 9
    Aggro Control- 5

Blue- 21
    Non Blue-11
    Last edited by Griselpuff; 06-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.

SCG will be doing a TMI article with archtypes for all 1100 decklists, when they get around to it.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

They're going to type up 1100+ decklists? Hard to believe... I'd be really happy if they just typed up the Top 32.

If they're only going to type up archetypes, then everything outside of the Top 32 is less interesting since we already have the Day 2 breakdown (but still good for understanding what is popular, I suppose)

What is most surprising to me is how poorly Merfolk did after making a great showing Day 1. It must have been a lot of mirrors and the best players being prepared to beat the most popular deck.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

It would be cool to discuss some fringe decks that were seen at the GP, such as Infect Stompy.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    They're going to type up 1100+ decklists? Hard to believe... I'd be really happy if they just typed up the Top 32.
    Only archtypes, but per usual I'd expect they'll also combine that with match results to show how archtypes did against each other.

I tried to convince them to give me the decklists to type up, but they were not very receptive.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

What makes it their property in the first place? I can understand Wizards supporting them since they are one of the biggest players on the secondary market, but it's not like the information *should* be theirs to use.

What makes it their property in the first place? I can understand Wizards supporting them since they are one of the biggest players on the secondary market, but it's not like the information *should* be theirs to use.
    A SCG employee asked BDM for the lists, and BDM gave him the lists.
    -David DeLaney

Wtf is UW Visions control? A UW landstill deck with Ancestral Vision?

Well people play either Ancestral Visions or Standstill (haven't seen any lists with both yet), it's basically just UW Control.

Paul Lynch played Merfolk.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Well people play either Ancestral Visions or Standstill (haven't seen any lists with both yet), it's basically just UW Control.
    Both does not work out well. In fact, Standstill is a pretty good tool to fight Ancestral Visions.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I was half-kidding.

Another interesting thing is the complete absence of BUG Tempo decks (Tombstalker + Bob versions!)

I'm guessing the control (read: Standstill) decks pushed them out. It's definitely a nightmare matchup for them.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

I was half-kidding.

Another interesting thing is the complete absence of BUG Tempo decks (Tombstalker + Bob versions!)

I'm guessing the control (read: Standstill) decks pushed them out. It's definitely a nightmare matchup for them.
    Most people who brought the BUG decks with Jace + Confidant + Hymn flopped horribly. I don't think it was because of the UWx matchup, specifically, as this should be even to favorable. Flipping Jaces, Cliques and FoWs to Bob while shocking yourself with Missteps doesn't seem like a recipe for success in a creature-based format.. I believe Tombstalkers + Stifle (Team America) is the more optimal deck.

- Captain Hindsight, over and out.

Apr 2010
    none

Ian duke did in fact play a B/G/W junk/rock style deck

Your Friend
    Apr 2011
    Minnesota

I played BUG Disruption (bob, not stalker) and lost out by round seven.

I lost to two Merfolk decks and U/W Control. Not the most favorable matchups.

I also did have the most amazing Bobbing against U/W: Jace into Force into a lethal Pulse. Oofta. :)

On a side note, a friend of mine placed 50th with Enchantress, if that's fringe enough.

Thread Information