Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Flusterstorm (new commander product card)

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: [SCD] Flusterstorm (new commander product card)

Legal in all eternal formats and the kitchen table. Might not be legal in modern, I'm unsure about it.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    Legal in all eternal formats and the kitchen table. Might not be legal in modern, I'm unsure about it.
    I'm surprised you're not calling this card overpowered yet. I mean it is blue afterall :o
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    This is just another excuse for WOTC to print even more hate for everyone's favorite abomination of a mechanic. The irony is that this hate card actually features said mechanic
    What it does versus Dredge?

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    Chaos Warp
    I thought this was really good with Mirage Tutors until I read the part about shuffling your library as part of the resolution. Darn.

Still an interesting take on Beast Within for red. Playable in Dragon Stompy?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Kind of annoying you have to pick up extra Commander decks to get a set of these. I find it useful enough I'll be hitting up the tabletop players for them.

Think about it. It's a Storm Disrupt. I will take that in a heartbeat. Disrupt is borderline playable as is. It's only kicked out due to a couple of slightly better options right now and probably would be playable if control/combo get all crazy popular a little more than it is already. It's pretty amazing vs Hymn as is. This card has storm! That's amazing. It's going to be pretty much mana leak for U after it's all said and done. It's not quite Spell Pierce or Misstep, but I like it a lot.

Its competing for slots that would normally be occupied by Mindbreak Trap or Spell Pierce. Yes, if you want to fit both Mindbreak Trap and Flusterstorm into your board you probably won't lose to combo unless the Storm player has Xantid Swarm.

It functionally does the same thing against Storm that Mindbreak Trap does. However, its not uniquely different from Mindbreak Trap since it is still either discarded or stopped via a Xantid Swarm or a Silence effect (or it gets discarded). People will probably play it, but I don't see situations where this is better than Mindbreak Trap against Storm. The situations against Storm when Flusterstorm is good will be when the Storm player does not have adequate disruption or protection anyway meaning Mindbreak would be just as good if not better. Situational outs to Flusterstorm can easily exist when the Storm deck has a bunch of extra mana and doesn't care. It also cost mana. That may not seem like much, but if you're a Merfolk player, my guess is that you want to put a fast clock on Storm rather than keep mana up to cast this. I know its only one mana, but in a format that rewards tight play and efficient use of one's mana, this costs while Mindbreak Trap doesn't.

Spell Pierce is still a hard counter against a lot of Storm decks anyway but has the added versatility of being able to counter things like Aether Vial, Jitte, Standstill, Jace the Mind Sculptor (or any other Planeswalker), Counterbalance, Sensei's Divining Top etc. Additionally, from my experience playing storm, the best thing you can counter in a storm deck with cards like Spell Pierce is early cantrips since it significantly slows down the deck (this is especially true with UB Tendrils). Flusterstorm can do this marginally better since its a larger taxing effect than Spell Pierce after at least one spell is played during a given turn. It also has an edge in that it gets stronger as the Storm player goes on. However, Spell Pierce counters Lion's Eye Diamond which is clutch as many Storm players will rely on that card to get Hellbent on Infernal Tutor. Think while situationally better in this particular match up, Flusterstorm would lose out to Spell Pierce since versatility is usually the way to go.

I don't typically play control, but in control mirrors adding more situational counterspells which don't even counter the things one would want to fight over anyway (like Jace the Mind Sculptor) doesn't seem like the way to go. Flusterstorm is only a live counter against Jace for example if you have a hard counter in hand. Additionally, it would appear that most control mirrors are decided by playskill rather than who has more counterspells.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Obviously people will try this card in High Tide combo and against storm combo..... but it could be a protection spell for UB Dark Ritual storm combo as well. It stops early discard and can counter FoW on its own, as well as protect you from SB Mindbreak Traps and Misstep. Besides, control players might play this card against storm combo; might we employ the same tactics?

“Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
    —Jaya Ballard, Task mage

Further, Flusterstorm can't counter LED, SDT, Xantid Swarm, or the artifact mana sources that will give you a high enough storm count to begin with a few spells on the stack before playing an accelerant that would be vulnerable to Flusterstorm.

Against Belcher.. Belcher, Wild Cantor, Tinder Wall, LED, SSG, and ESG can all slip past a Flusterstorm.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Obviously people will try this card in High Tide combo and against storm combo..... but it could be a protection spell for UB Dark Ritual storm combo as well. It stops early discard and can counter FoW on its own, as well as protect you from SB Mindbreak Traps and Misstep. Besides, control players might play this card against storm combo; might we employ the same tactics?

“Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
    —Jaya Ballard, Task mage

Further, Flusterstorm can't counter LED, SDT, Xantid Swarm, or the artifact mana sources that will give you a high enough storm count to begin with a few spells on the stack before playing an accelerant that would be vulnerable to Flusterstorm.

Against Belcher.. Belcher, Wild Cantor, Tinder Wall, LED, SSG, and ESG can all slip past a Flusterstorm.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

bruizar

This card isn't good enough. You can hardly ever counter 2 spells if your opponent has some mana open. Its seriously only good in the early game or against storm. This card can best be compared to mana leak.

Let's say

My opponent has two spells on the stack, let's say Lightning Bolt and Fireblast

I cast Flusterstorm.

Ideally, I want to counter lightning bolt and fireblast, so I target fireblast twice and lightning bolt once. My opponent pays 1 for lightning bolt and Fireblast is countered.

Its extremely hard to get more value out of this card than just going 1 for 1. You think you can counter multiple cards with it, but in practice it's not going to work out that way most of the time. Meanwhile, Jace, Humility, Moat, Grindstone and Painter's Servant and a ton of creatures will not get countered and stomp you to death.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

If this card isn't legal in Pauper then fuck Wizards for cock teasing us with the perfect solution to stupid storm decks in that format.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    If this card isn't legal in Pauper then fuck Wizards for cock teasing us with the perfect solution to stupid storm decks in that format.
    The card's rarity is RARE in these decks... so probably not :/
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Yeah I agree it will probably not be common, but I still haven't seen an actual picture of the card yet so i can still live with hope. MTGSalvation has been wrong before. Remember when they said Taurean Mauler was going to be 1R and everyone freaked out...
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Its extremely hard to get more value out of this card than just going 1 for 1. You think you can counter multiple cards with it, but in practice it's not going to work out that way most of the time. Meanwhile, Jace, Humility, Moat, Grindstone and Painter's Servant and a ton of creatures will not get countered and stomp you to death.
    Nobody expects to 2 for 1 someone with this. Its just a minor bonus you mentioned with bolt+blast.
    In Spiral tide, mid combo after a Spiral, your opponent uses his fresh counter for something, you can response with high tide, forcing him to put another counter on the stack => profit!

Edit: burn player can just float mana and play the bolt after the blast.
    Srsly this card can be considered as no CA.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Mar 2011
    Tokyo, Japan

This card is no good in Legacy... Storm-based decks are less likely to be used right now because of Mental Mistep. MM/FOW/Daze are already enough to stop combo decks.

Good in Spiral Tide, and not much else would be my verdict. So, ironically, the Storm hoser du jour is actually good in a different Storm-esque deck, and as a pretty limited (but powerful) hoser against Tendrils-based Storm.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I think Dispel and Pact of Negation are better in Spiral Tide than this new card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

This would be so cool in Solidarity. I would just love to get in a big counter war, have to dig for more counters while everything is still on the stack, find this, and just win everything.

I think in non-Cunning Wish blue decks that want to play Mindbreak Trap, this will get the nod for just being more versatile. However, how many blue decks that play Mindbreak Trap without Wish could be 0. I don't really know if it can go in anything else. Maybe though.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Seems arguably worse than Annul, which sees no play.
    I play it in my sideboard x3 as a swap for Daze in certain matchups. Then again, I AM retarded

I like the card for my kitchen table...maybe as a 1-3 of in some casual decks (which I think is the target demographic for these decks anyways). In legacy? Blah. It ain't free, so it won't make it's way into very many decks (maybe Spiral Tide...but I don't think so. Spiral Tide doesn't really care about mana cost, so why would they use this when Hindering Touch has been available for ages???)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

This card is going to replace Dispel completely and probably replace most Pact of Negations along with Mental Misstep in Tide lists.

All tide lists will start 4 Force, 3 Flutterstorm with the 4th arguable about whether you want it wishable or scrollable/drawable.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    This card is going to replace Dispel completely and probably replace most Pact of Negations along with Mental Misstep in Tide lists.

All tide lists will start 4 Force, 3 Flutterstorm with the 4th arguable about whether you want it wishable or scrollable/drawable.
    Quoted for truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Thread Information