Thread: Examining Grand Prix: Providence (Mostly Day 2)

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Examining Grand Prix: Providence (Mostly Day 2)

Hey everyone, I post some of my articles here, this is no exception.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/examin...ix-providence/

In this article I do what a few writers did, which is look at the results of the GP, I talk a bit about the top 8 and winning list, but I spend a lot more time looking at the day two metagame breakdown, becuase I feel that has a lot more to offer.

Take a look at it, it has pie charts.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: Examining Grand Prix: Providence (Mostly Day 2)

Interesting article, it was a good read. I do wish we had access to the day one decklists and breakdowns, though.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Apr 2010
    none

nice article sir

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Nice analysis of the metagame!

Also, I like pies.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

ooooo pies.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

You should have named this article blueberry pie.

So that information is showing us that U/W Landstill, Zoo, and Merfolk are the three top decks (in representation) at the moment? Merfolk beats over half the decks + Landstill, Zoo beats Merfolk and random stuff, Landstill beats some Zoo variants and random stuff?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Anyone have a link to the match he played against AJ Kerrigan? I want to see Beta duals :P

-Matt

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    So that information is showing us that U/W Landstill, Zoo, and Merfolk are the three top decks (in representation) at the moment? Merfolk beats over half the decks + Landstill, Zoo beats Merfolk and random stuff, Landstill beats some Zoo variants and random stuff?
    That essentially seemed to be the state of the metagame as of the Grand Prix, and we're likely not that far off of that at the moment.

This coincides with my opinion that, regrettably, Merfolk is the best deck in the format at this time.

It is worth nothing the poor numbers that Ubg put up compared to what was commonly expected.

And one more fleeting though, it isn't so much that there are random decks, there are very well defined archetypes running around, U/W isn't just good against random decks, but is good against the Natural Order decks, the decks that are trying to leverage on Dark Confidant and Tarmogoyf, the new builds are a lot stronger against storm.

Zoo is mostly good against Merfolk, Ubg and Affinity, but that last one can go either way.

And then Yes, Merfolk beats decks with Islands and some decks without them.

Dredge has a good game one against the field, that's important.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Anyone have a link to the match he played against AJ Kerrigan? I want to see Beta duals :P

-Matt
    http://mtghunter.wordpress.com/2011/...es-rynkiewicz/

Apparently the link I was using stopped working, sorry about that.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I just want to be clear -

Is Merfolk the most successful deck from the GP in terms of popularity vs performance? We know it was very popular (20%! Holy Copycat Batman!), but did it's overall performance in T64 mark it the best performing archetype?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I just want to be clear -

Is Merfolk the most successful deck from the GP in terms of popularity vs performance? We know it was very popular (20%! Holy Copycat Batman!), but did it's overall performance in T64 mark it the best performing archetype?
    I didn't have access to the top 64 lists, so I can only present the data that was available. Apparently Star City has a hold of the decklists and last year the top 64 lists from Columbus were not released so it was up to the community to patch together the top 64 themselves.

From the data that I've seen, I would have to imagine that Merfolk did quite well in day two considering that a sizable portion of the metagame was a favorable match, but I can't state anything definitively, as much as I would like to.
    Team Bad Guys

Thread Information