Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Articles] The History of Legacy

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

[Articles] The History of Legacy

So far a 3 part article series by Nightmare. Great writing about the yester-years of this format's past. It's been great to read, having flash backs since 2004 when I started to play legacy. Oh, I yearn for the days of the FTK! Pre-goyf legacy was fantastic. Great work Nightmare.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Re: The history of Legacy

Setting myself a reminder to read these when I get out of work... I'm looking forward to flashing back to the good ol' days...
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

For some reason, whenever I click a link on Channelfireball.com, it just takes me back to the home page.

edit: WHICH IS A SHAME, because I REALLY want to read their article explaining why Coiling Oracle (lol) should be banned in Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

@majikal, I have same problem when browsing from my phone, so to bypass this i scroll down and click on the author and then can select the article from thier list.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

Thanks Nightmare.

Obviously, this is a massive undertaking. I really enjoyed reading it. I hope your last installment, however cliche it may seem, will be about future thoughts/concerns about Legacy.

peace,
    4eak

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Any comprehensive history of Legacy failing to mention Thunder Bluff is a travesty.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Any comprehensive history of Legacy failing to mention Thunder Bluff is a travesty.
    +1
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Ah Tarmogoyf. Over half that article was devoted to the most efficient creature in magic.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

The most efficient creature in magic is Anaba Grunt. That's why it's banned in every format.

The most efficient creature in magic is Anaba Grunt. That's why it's banned in every format.
    I was talking about legal cards.

Obviously if we are talking about any card, Contract from Below is easily the most powerful. DUH!

I love and miss you, Zilla.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [Articles] The History of Legacy

Fantastic series. I was in college during Legacy's birth and missed out on the pre-Tarmogoyf days (although I also missed the travesty of Flash, and for that I am thankful). I'm pretty happy with Legacy now and have been since I returned to Magic in 2009.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Oh man... I remember the "Werebear vs Tarmogoyf" discussion... and Werebear was winning due to mana, and the leading argument in favor of Tarmogoyf was how ugly Werebear was =O

Amazing set of articles, reminds me of many many things. Congratulations man, you lived through Legacy! ^^
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Woot, thanks for the name drop Nightmare. Damn it's been a long time since I've seen that list.

And yes, for the record, it was a blast to play.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

You didn't mention fledgling dragon :O or the greatness of mystic enforcer lulz.

Overall great work though. I would gladly play legacy with cards only available prior to 2006; just to be able to play goyfless legacy, no countertop, UWr landstill, and mystic enforcer of course.

Werebear > tarmogoyf art wise. I hate goyf's art; goyf's art is just a disgrace. Werebear at least has cool flavor text as well. Tapping for a green is coolish too.

FTK'ing negator would have been sweet too. 8 for one you lulz. Still don't get how negator was that good back then anyways; bolt on turn one wrecked it as well. Or you were clever and they went dark rit, negator and turn 2 laid their land and you cast bolt on it to double time walk the opponent. Negator just isn't that sweet IMO even in '05.

Yeah way to go getting a foil set of goyf's for $8 btw. That's winning right there since the price for foil goyf is now 200 a pop.

Overall great articles though.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

My god, I feel old now. I learned how to play by reading the instructions trying to figure out the game for a girlfriends son. I was 23 then. It was 1994. I thought paying $20 for a Mox back then was really stupid. It still kills me to look back on it.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Fledgling dragon and Mystic Enforcer off sungrass prairie lmao.

The werebear-Goyf debate was also good stuff. Man how was shocking playtesting with it.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Werebear at least has cool flavor text as well.

Tempa-ban for you.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I seem to be the only one person in the entire Magic community to not understand the origin of the joke. Was 'Anaba Grunt' an actual Magic card or joke card like Blacker Lotus? I tried typing in Anaba Grunt in Gatherer and in google and never found a picture.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Yeah, Adam, I know you want to be liked and all but I'm pretty sure the "Legacy players are elitist" was not something people actually thought and just something a few disgruntled ManaDrain/ManaLeak people came up with to have something to validate their constant wrong-headed assertions about the format. Like, sure, their points were disproved and their deck sucks, but isn't it elitist of you to say so?

I'm pretty sure that in no other format is there a concern that the people who work on it constantly think their opinion is worth more than those who just randomly wandered in. I mean it's bizarre to even think of that as problematic.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Thread Information