Thread: [SCD] Scavenging Ooze

Nov 2006
    Brasil

[SCD] Scavenging Ooze

Scavenging Ooze -

Creature - Ooze

: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.

2/2

So, this creature counters Tarmogoyf and Reliquary, attacks Dredge, and gets better in the process? The power creep version of Withered Wretch, with a waaay better casting cost, and growing ability.

Can this be used in a lot of places, or am I imagining things?
    Last edited by Gui; 06-13-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [SCD] Scavenging Ooze

It could work as singleton in the main as a GSZ target.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I don't know that it's really a huge power creep on Wretch; assuming you want to use it the turn you cast it, it has the same colored concentration. And is much more color intensive if you want to keep using it.

But it's in a better color for tutorable hate bears, and growing itself is a neat trick, although it'd be greedy to expect it to get much better than a 4/4, 5/5 most games.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Oh look its a one of in G/U counter spells + green creatures + toolbox.deck ... Move along nothing to see here.

(Except Bant is going to be far and away the best deck in the format if this keeps up)

P.S. Bant is probably the best deck in the format already.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think this card will replace Tarmogoyf in appropriate G/x GSZ toolbox decks. Already these decks run only 1 Tarmogoyf, and having the extra utility with the ability to self-pump (and shrink opposing Goyfs at the same time) is pretty handy.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm MUCH more excited about Flusterstorm

Flusterstorm
    Instant
    Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless it's controller pays (1)
    Storm

Can you say "I win this stack!"
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

The hell ass? There's another thread for flusterstorm.

I like it. It may allow me to make Maverick sans Goyf now. I'd enjoy that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    The hell ass? There's another thread for flusterstorm.

I like it. It may allow me to make Maverick sans Goyf now. I'd enjoy that.
    I noticed...many apologies. I didn't see it until after I posted.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

So what's the starting P/T? I assume it's a bear... then i think it's pretty ok.

Though I don't see it as a replacement for the singleton Goyf. Works fine alongside it in a GSZ-toolbox. I mean, this guy won't be as big as goyf, and battling goyfs with this costs quite a bit of mana. As generic grave hate this card is fine to tutor up, vs. goyfs specifically, I think I'll fetch goyf more often. Unless of course you know you can sling 4+ green mana around.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

It's a true bear with an ability, 1G for a 2/2
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    So what's the starting P/T? I assume it's a bear... then i think it's pretty ok.

Though I don't see it as a replacement for the singleton Goyf. Works fine alongside it in a GSZ-toolbox. I mean, this guy won't be as big as goyf, and battling goyfs with this costs quite a bit of mana. As generic grave hate this card is fine to tutor up, vs. goyfs specifically, I think I'll fetch goyf more often. Unless of course you know you can sling 4+ green mana around.
    even if you had 4+ greens around if there arnt that many creature cards in the graveyard your ooze still wont be that big.
    It only gets +1/+1 when a creature card is removed

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

It doesn't have to get big to be effective. It just has to shrink opposing KotRs or goyfs to be effective. Puts a hurting on Lavamancer and gy strategies also.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I think that this has the potential to be huge. Goyf is already in decline, and this card also hoses knight of the reliquary. Being a goblins player, I can also attest that this will probably be a big pain for them as well on account of the life gain. Not to mention that it beats any random graveyard combos. Perhaps the strongest interaction is the fact that you can shrink the opponent's kotr while keeping your own kotr huge. It can also solo a goyf if given enough time to eat the graveyard. I see this being an important maindeck card alongside the likes of goyf and kotr. The only problem is that it is somewhat meta dependent. If goyf and kotr start to decline, then ooze will become worse and worse, and if ooze falls out of favor, then goyf and kotr will start to come back.

Also, it should replace withered wretch in any decks that use it such as eva green.

The lifegain is what I think sets it apart from other pseudohate. It can shrink the turn it comes down, which is nice, but I think it's a little too mana intensive to scale well against decks that really need the hate - aka dredge . Strong against Reanimator and Welder/Intuition tricks ( the latter being the most significant as Painter/Stone is pretty strong ) as well as Loam. I think Grunt is much stronger in decks that have white, as it does better dedicated wall/hate immediately, but 1G is a magical casting cost/colour combination, as we all know.

It's likely going to be in sideboards for Maverick builds as it's basically a hategoyf against the decks listed above. Not even factoring the Goyf/Knight shrinking.

Thread Information