Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [M12 Cards]

Re: [M12 Cards]

Visions of Beyond seems too conditional to be good. I think it would get a serious look if the card count was 15 or lower given how fast some of the older Threshold decks could load up their graveyard. However, getting 1/3 of a deck into the graveyard seems like too much work even if it would draw you three cards. Dredge would probably rather play Burning Inquiry since costs the same, it always draws three cards, and it puts cards back into the graveyard which is really helpful. Not to mention it can also wreck an opponent's hand.

Phantasmal Image seems like the best card in the set for Legacy thus far. It seems useful in most Merfolk builds and most Blue aggro control decks.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

People have been discussing Visions of beyond maindeck, but what about in the board vs. decks like dredge? Seems worth considering for a couple slots depending on your local meta of course..

I'd still prefer Dream Salvage when it comes to anti-Dredge Recalls.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I wonder how visions of beyond would be in Solidarity. At worst it is a +1 to storm count and a draw. There are plenty of times combining out I have hit 20+ cards in the graveyard. It allows you to dig just that much further for the kill.

I think it would be like setting someone on fire then stabbing them with a fork. May not do much but irritate them more if you are already 20 cards into a combo.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstalker View Post
    People have been discussing Visions of beyond maindeck, but what about in the board vs. decks like dredge? Seems worth considering for a couple slots depending on your local meta of course..
    If dredge has 20+ cards in their graveyard the correct response is not to draw 3 cards from your sb card. Instead, exile their 20+ graveyard with your sideboard card.

Seriously, this set keeps getting more and more awesome.

Solemn Simulacrum. No joke.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/m...imulacrum.html

I'm in love with this card so much I may end up playing Standard again. I like the new art far more than sad Jens.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

I preferred the other, TBH.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Personal Sanctuary 2W
    Enchantment Rare
    During your turn, prevent all damage that would be dealt to you.
    Is this abusable somehow? The fact that costs that involves life cannot be paid leads me to believe no, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Is this abusable somehow? The fact that costs that involves life cannot be paid leads me to believe no, but you never know.
    ?

You can pay those. It says prevent damage, not loss of life. Damage is a thing that can cause loss of life, not the other way around.

For instance, if you had a creature with pro-black and that enchantment out, you could spam Pestilence to your heart's desire and you wouldn't get hit by it. You could also do things like pay Moltensteel Dragon phyrexian life.

You'll still lose the life mind you, since life loss isn't damage and isn't prevented by that.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Looks like they're incorporating classic spells in fatty bodies (there's that fatty black creature with a CiPT Demonic Tutor, fatty blue creature with a CiPT Fact or Fiction). This set looks like an EDH player's wet dream... still have yet to see anything competitive for Legacy though.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Looks like they're incorporating classic spells in fatty bodies (there's that fatty black creature with a CiPT Demonic Tutor, fatty blue creature with a CiPT Fact or Fiction). This set looks like an EDH player's wet dream... still have yet to see anything competitive for Legacy though.
    My Kaalia deck just started smiling at the Demonic Tutor Demon... Here's to hoping the Dragon and Angel versions have powerful enough effects to warrant spots.

Solemn, the fatty cycle, Titans, manalith, new boots, colorless academy ruins... EDH players REJOICE!
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Solemn, the fatty cycle, Titans, manalith, new boots, colorless academy ruins... EDH players REJOICE!
    /rejoices. My Animar deck will luuuuurv that sphinx.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    still have yet to see anything competitive for Legacy though.
    In my opinion, Buried Ruin is a better Academy Ruins for 43 Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by iostream View Post
    I would challenge that belief, ser.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by iostream View Post
    Good observation, and I am inclined to agree. On paper, in Lands.dec, assuming you have active Manabonds/Exploration/Loams, saccing the land to actually put the artifact in your hand is more crucial to putting on top of your library when you are constantly dredging.

More interestingly, non-blue land builds that wish to recur EE are now possible without the need to play blue for Intuition/Academy Ruins (although Intuition is the main reason you play blue, not Aruins).
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Metalwalker makes a good point regarding the immediacy of the new land. I would rather trade a land-drop to be able to get the card (we could say that about 90% of the time, this card will be EE) rather than skip a draw/dredge step.

To me, this makes the card more appealing.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Metalwalker makes a good point regarding the immediacy of the new land. I would rather trade a land-drop to be able to get the card (we could say that about 90% of the time, this card will be EE) rather than skip a draw/dredge step.

To me, this makes the card more appealing.
    Why not run both?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Personal Sanctuary is one I am going to brainstorm a little with. That has got to have some uses. Even if it's as dumb as playing stuff like Flame Rift to make it one sided. Pestilence is amusing, but overly expensive really.

Not getting your butt kicked by things like Flesh Reaver or junk like that is probably an option.

Surely, there's plenty more.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Personal Sanctuary is one I am going to brainstorm a little with. That has got to have some uses. Even if it's as dumb as playing stuff like Flame Rift to make it one sided. Pestilence is amusing, but overly expensive really.

Not getting your butt kicked by things like Flesh Reaver or junk like that is probably an option.

Surely, there's plenty more.
    Volcano Hellion comes into mind. But that interaction isn't that good, either.

When Volcano Hellion comes into play, it deals an amount of damage of your choice to you and target creature. The damage can't be prevented.

It doesn't work.

Thread Information