Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [M12 Cards]

Re: [M12 Cards]

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I believe stealing tinkered Blightsteel, Time Vault, Lodestone, etc. is pretty solid *nod*
    having the option to also steal a sapphire or a crypt seems pretty good, too.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Joven,

Green has been listed as second in card draw to blue for awhile now. Black is rated as third for draw purposes, then white, with red bringing up the tail end charlie slot.
    I mean fundamentally, as Rosewater has said, you need cards to win the game, and it's dumb to think blue can be given a monopoly on card advantage and not run roughshod over the other colors.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Adaptive automation has a ton of potential, it makes some borderline tribal decks playable. The first thing to spring to mind is SLIVERS!! Yea baby, meathooks always needed that extra lord to be playable and behold, one that is reasonably costed! It's a merfolk deck with brainstorms/plows but a weaker manabase, I can totally dig that!!!

Sample list:

3 Plated
    4 Muscle
    4 Sinew
    4 Crystalline
    4 Adaptive
    3 Winged

4 Vial
    4 STP
    4 Force
    4 Misstep
    4 Brainstorm

18 lands

Looks pretty playable. Merfolk with removal/brainstorm/shroud sounds good to me!

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Adaptive automation has a ton of potential, it makes some borderline tribal decks playable. The first thing to spring to mind is SLIVERS!! Yea baby, meathooks always needed that extra lord to be playable and behold, one that is reasonably costed! It's a merfolk deck with brainstorms/plows but a weaker manabase, I can totally dig that!!!
    Wait, what? What slivers needed to be playable was a third, over-costed Muscle Sliver?

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Slivers needs the third vialable lord. They have been playing stuff like gsz and eladamri's call which are obviously inefficient. It's not a huge upgrade, but it definitely is good for slivers. You'll be surprised how good crystalline sliver + a bunch or lords is. Winged sliver and flying is also much more useful compared to island walk. It's not a bad tribe to be honest. It just really really needed the third lord, and here we have one, though a smidgen overcosted. Once upon a time when creatures were 2/2 on average, slivers were actually really good.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

The first time I saw Adaptive Automation, the first dek I thought of was Thunderbluffs. Minotaurs FTW!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    The first time I saw Adaptive Automation, the first dek I thought of was Thunderbluffs.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Slivers needs the third vialable lord. They have been playing stuff like gsz and eladamri's call which are obviously inefficient. It's not a huge upgrade, but it definitely is good for slivers. You'll be surprised how good crystalline sliver + a bunch or lords is. Winged sliver and flying is also much more useful compared to island walk. It's not a bad tribe to be honest. It just really really needed the third lord, and here we have one, though a smidgen overcosted. Once upon a time when creatures were 2/2 on average, slivers were actually really good.
    See, I feel like Merfolk still plays +1 more Lord than Slivers can though, and it manages to do so while also giving their dudes relevant abilities. Flying *and* islandwalk? What the fuck? How do you walk on an island while you're flying? Fucking Coralhelm Commander, breaking the laws of physics while also pitching to Force of Will.

Like honestly, from one of those "color pie" POVs, it's really really insanely stupid that Merfolk should be the one with the most Lords. But it is, and not only that but the Lords let you do other broken things like Opposition things, and make your flying islandwalking Coralhelm Commander ALSO UNBLOCKABLE, LIKE I WAS GOING TO BLOCK IT AFTER IT FLEW OVER MY ISLAND WHILE IT ALSO WALKED ON IT.

I want Slivers to be awesome, I really do, but I think Merfolk still has a leg up on Slivers. It's not like Merfolk *can't* also play Brainstorm, they just don't have to. That's probably a clue as to which one the superior creature type is, if they don't have to play Brainstorm in the same deck as Islands (because they're too busy walking on them, wtf)

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    See, I feel like Merfolk still plays +1 more Lord than Slivers can though, and it manages to do so while also giving their dudes relevant abilities. Flying *and* islandwalk? What the fuck? How do you walk on an island while you're flying? Fucking Coralhelm Commander, breaking the laws of physics while also pitching to Force of Will.

Like honestly, from one of those "color pie" POVs, it's really really insanely stupid that Merfolk should be the one with the most Lords. But it is, and not only that but the Lords let you do other broken things like Opposition things, and make your flying islandwalking Coralhelm Commander ALSO UNBLOCKABLE, LIKE I WAS GOING TO BLOCK IT AFTER IT FLEW OVER MY ISLAND WHILE IT ALSO WALKED ON IT.

I want Slivers to be awesome, I really do, but I think Merfolk still has a leg up on Slivers. It's not like Merfolk *can't* also play Brainstorm, they just don't have to. That's probably a clue as to which one the superior creature type is, if they don't have to play Brainstorm in the same deck as Islands (because they're too busy walking on them, wtf)
    They.. don't have more lords. Sinew and Muscle was 2, and auto makes it 3. I probably wouldn't play the full set, but they're tied now.

Winged and Sinew are nothing to be scoffed at tho, and they both pitch to FoW. I'd go -1 Transformer +1 Winged on ivanpei's list.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    They.. don't have more lords. Sinew and Muscle was 2, and auto makes it 3. I probably wouldn't play the full set, but they're tied now.
    How? Lord of Atlantis, Merfolk Sovereign, Merfolk Reejerey makes 3. Coralhelm Commander after Lvl 4 is 4. He may not get there every game, but he's there.

Winged and Sinew are nothing to be scoffed at tho, and they both pitch to FoW. I'd go -1 Transformer +1 Winged on ivanpei's list.
    Whoa, you can pitch White cards to Force now? Fuck it, I'm running four Forces in Angel Stompy.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Someone needs to learn how to count. (not to mention, technically this is yet another Merfolk lord.)

Adaptive Automaton? Get your Nactls, Steppe Lynxes, Pridemages and Loam Lions ready, it's time to play Aggro Tribal Cats! Or, you can play Control Tribal Cats with Leonin Relic Warders and Leonin Arbiters.

Remember that thread in the developmental form for tribal cats, where people were arguing that there's no point in playing with just cats because Steely Resolve is bad? Now you can play with your kitties with a decent lord.

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think troop typoed, should be crystalline sliver. That card is reason enough to play slivers. If you lead with crystalline, you basically blanked all your opponents removal. You then proceed to buff and give flying to your dudes ftw, how is that bad? It might not be better than folk, but it should be comparable.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Merfolk Sovereign barely gets played, so.

I feel like there are already more relevant sliver guys though. Especially if you want to go red for Blade Sliver and Frenetic Sliver.

Also Sidewinder Sliver is sort of a lord on the offense.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Hibernation Sliver is worlds better than Sidewinder Sliver or any of the red slivers. Harmonic Sliver, Talon Sliver, and Essence Sliver come next in line, and are all still much better than the red options.

Unfortunately, black doesn't offer much besides Hibernation Sliver, and it strains the manabase. You have to have white and blue, and the choice between Muscle and Hibernation Sliver is pretty ugly, so you end up with four colors most of the time. It's possible, but it's difficult and it makes running Mutavault more difficult.
    InfoNinjas

Sedge Sliver > Blade Sliver.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Well it's good to know that 4-color Sliver decks have more Lords than 1-color Merfolk. I'm proud to see that manabase in action. May as well throw in Might Sliver and Coat of Arms while we're at it; the fuck was I thinking? Slivers are gargantuan beaters that threaten to jump off the cardboard they're printed on, sleep with everyone's mum and run for President of Burkina Faso. Sorry guys, I fucked up.

I mean like, can I finish though? Because why, if the idea is to just run good tribal dudes that beat for a lot and maintain board position via good countermagic, would anyone poop all over the land cards by adding +3 colors and try to run things like Force of Will? I love a good Sliver deck as much as the next dude, I really do, but if you've already got your pick of 3 - 4 playable Lords, an entire deck that throws to Force and no Wasteland to fret over versus 4 color crazyness, playing things which are 'technically Lords' like somehow Sidewinder Sliver is and maybe having one real Ace in the hole in Crystalline Sliver... and then you start getting all excited over one artifact creature dude which gets tossed into that deck? Call me shitty but I can't root for the Slivers here.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Merfolk has pushed every other fish deck out of the format. I have seen nothing from M12 that leads me to believe that this has changed.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Slivers at least having a CHANCE is pretty dang cool, though.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Jun 2007
    Australia

Lol. This card won't revive counterslivers. Not with merfolk having such a powerful pack of lords and cards like goyf and SFM-skull being so efficient.

@Ivan, was Counterslivers your first deck? It was mine, and it'll be a long time before it returns to playable status amongst my other legacy piles... :(

@TOPIC: So far, out of M12 (as with every other new set)... I can see very few playables:
    Buried Ruin to return EE, stax pieces and combo pieces;
    Sundial for 'lolz!';
    Grand Abolisher for 'here! StP this!'
    Oh, FFS!

Thread Information