Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [M12 Cards]

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: [M12 Cards]

The way the trigger is phrased, if multiple creatures hit you, only one of them will die (per each Pharaoh). This makes its effect significantly worse than No Mercy.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Seems like it could work in a Loam control shell (and it does turn Entomb into removal, which is interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    Dredge gets a new toy. It is strong.

Vengeful Pharaoh
    2BBB
    Creature - Zombie
    Deathtouch
    Whenever combat damage is dealt to you or a planeswalker you control, if Vengeful Pharaoh is in your graveyard, destroy target creature attacking you, then put Vengeful Pharaoh on top of your library.
    5/4

Reusable removal in Dredge. On color with Ichorid synergy.
    Madness completely LOVES this card !
    Forgive my bad English...

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Eh. I suppose it's free removal and all, but you still have to naturally draw it after pitching it (as opposed to dredging it right back where it belongs until you can hardcast it) and it's somewhat uncastable without an outlet. Now Intuitioning for this times two plus LftL (or whatever) is quite the disincentive to swing for anything but lethal.

Unfortunately, LftL/Intuition shells are already weak versus graveyard hate and this does little to alleviate that.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Seems like it could work in a Loam control shell (and it does turn Entomb into removal, which is interesting).
    Making Entomb insta-removal is a cute trick indeed. Add to the versatility to the card quite a bit, as it can already work as a tutor for card advantage anti-waste engines (LftL) and creatures (Vengevine, Bloodghast, all dredge creatures, etc...). Entombing for darkblast was cute already against decks with many X/1, but this is so much better against heavy hitters.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

The pharaoh is freaking cool! But it doesn't seem that good with dredge, since helping their creature die just removes your bridges? Right?

I think the best application would be an intuition pile of Pharaoh, Gigapede, & perhaps darkblast? For a removal chain or something....or actually with fauna shaman

-----------

The skinshifter looks good, not tarm good but decent. It's a nice toy with doran

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

One generally wants to deal with Goyfs and Knights before they hit you.

It might have been a decent Survival target but I don't see how it can work in any currently existing deck. As noted, in Dredge it has the added drawback of nuking your primary win condition.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

I'd give it a try in an Astral Slide shell to abuse Gideon Jura's +2 ability and recur it with Eternal Witness.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The way the trigger is phrased, if multiple creatures hit you, only one of them will die (per each Pharaoh). This makes its effect significantly worse than No Mercy.

Awww, I just re-read that. You are totally right. That makes him much worse. i was kind of liking that card for a sec. He might still be useable, but not quite as strong as first I thought. Then again, Intuition is always a favorite to dump things in the grave.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Initially I thought he might be good in Aggro Loam, but unless you have active Loam and sandbag a cycle land and leave mana open for it, he's just going to screw up Bob/Crusher activations.

Nov 2006
    London

"Skinchanger" is pretty cool. Seems decent as a 1-of GSZ target.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't think he will replace Tarmogoyf, but he has the potential to do essentially the same thing. He is certainly more flexible than Goyf, but hey, Goyf is Goyf. He blocks and attacks well making him perfect for both offense and defense (sound familiar?) His only constraint is that he can't become MORE than a 4/4 on his own as an attacker...he would need support to outclass Goyf offensively.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think he will replace Tarmogoyf, but he has the potential to do essentially the same thing. He is certainly more flexible than Goyf, but hey, Goyf is Goyf. He blocks and attacks well making him perfect for both offense and defense (sound familiar?) His only constraint is that he can't become MORE than a 4/4 on his own as an attacker...he would need support to outclass Goyf offensively.
    Yeah you're right that on his own he's worse than goyf, but in relation to other cards? This guy is better again moat decks & he's better in Doran decks.

Also It seems that Goyf is slowly being replaced with creatures that provide better utility. Instead of 4 goyf and 4 GSZ i could see

X Goyf
    X GSZ
    1 Skinchanger (Possible evasion, plus better defense)
    1 Scavenging Ooze (good against grave dependant decks + can be bigger than goyf and can control opposing goyf's)

Does Primordial Hydra have a home as a win con in legacy, or is it to costly and slow compared to Tarmogoyf and Spawnwrithe

:x:
    Creature - Hydra Mythic Rare
    Primordial Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, double the number of +1/+1 counters on Primordial Hydra.
    Primordial Hydra has trample as long as it has ten or more +1/+1 counters on it.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does Primordial Hydra have a home as a win con in legacy, or is it to costly and slow compared to Tarmogoyf and Spawnwrithe
    Let's look at it

1GG :
    (2 [2], 4 [6], 8 [14], 16 [30]) 4 turn gold fish not counting the turn you play it
    2GG :
    (4 [4], 8 [12], 16 [28]) 3 turn gold fish not counting the turn you play it
    3GG
    (6 [6], 12 [18], 24 [42]) 3 turn gold fish not counting the turn you play it (with the possibility of a 2 turn gold fish taking into account phyrexian mana and fetch lands)

Seems really good in green stompy?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Ugh...not stompy (at least...not BERSERK stompy. Mono-Green Chalice Stompy? Maybe...)

The guy needs a deck that can protect him and keep the board under wraps while he grows, and clears the chaff to beat their face in. I like that he grows all by himself...nice work there...but the initial cost is a little 'meh') If he were changed only slightly to xG instea of xGG...you have a winner there. He becomes a 2-drop instead of a 3-drop, and he would get growing FASTER. Turn 2 seems fine for him (along with other famous beats like Goyf) considering he will grow almost as fast as Goyf. Not to mention he won't be graveyard dependant like Goyf is.

Still, it's the GG that kills him for legacy. For 3 mana you will concievably have a minimum of a 3/3-4/4 Knight of the Reliquary with little effort, and most likely a 3/4 Goyf with little to no effort.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I do like the Skinchanger. Huge blocking capability, flying when you want it and aggressive 4 power when clear. It's not limited to Sorcery speed on that either so it's pretty hard to clear it with pyroclasm and such too. I can get behind that. Good thing it's only a regular rare so it will be cheap to get.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I can see Skinchanger shining in Maverick. That deck doesn't run Goyfs but with Skinchanger's versatility, it might see a singleton in that deck as a GSZ target. It can fly over blockers and with swords of X/Y or Jitte, that could be huge. It can also provide a huge blocker if KotR isn't quite big.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Phantasmal image is legacy playable. It's a 2 mana clone. Emrakul/Emmy killer. A bit narrow though. But there has to be some way to break this card.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Phantasmal Image kills emrakul or progenitus for 1U. The downside isn't that bad because most of the time the only targetted spells are removal anyway.

Also, Visions of Beyond looks interesting, particularly in some kind of dedge deck.

Thread Information