Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [M12 Cards]

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [M12 Cards]

Any opinions on the new Ancestral Recall?

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Vision is not that great in dredge, it doesn't do anything till it's too late/doesn't matter. Win more unless you are playing a super fast version that wants to chain draws like led dredge. Doesn't seem too consistent though.

Phantasmal image seems playable in Merfolk. It can copy a lord/silvergill/corralhelm or if you are light on dudes, an opposing tarmogoyf. Pretty good actually. Being 2cc and vialable makes this card very useful.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Merfolk is pretty flooded on two drops though. It's hard to imagine anyone would want to copy a lord/silvergill/corralhelm when they could just play a lord/silvergill/corralhelm.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

If only Doomsday put your deck into the graveyard instead of exiling it...

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

Just one, I want 4
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

It's the nuts in vintage, I can't see it doing a whole lot in legacy at the moment.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

The new satchet is also interesting.

A bit slow, but it's nice card advantage. Gain life and/or put lands into play. With top is basically an exploration + future sight.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Vision is not that great in dredge, it doesn't do anything till it's too late/doesn't matter. Win more unless you are playing a super fast version that wants to chain draws like led dredge. Doesn't seem too consistent though.
    Agreed, Dredge generally wants its draw spells to also serve as discard outlets. Careful Study, Breakthrough, Cephalid Coliseum, and in some lists, Deep Analysis, are more consistent, have better synergy, and just as powerful (for Dredge), if not more so. I don't think Dredge is the deck for this card.

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

I don't quite see Visions of Beyond making the cut for control.
    It's useless until the very late game (yes, I consider "cycling" to be useless) and even then it's not stellar, just very cheap, which isn't really relevant b/c it's the late game and you should have a bunch of lands out. It's just not better than TfK or FoF, and those will give you an advantage at any point you cast them, especially when you need new cards the most, i.e. the mid game.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    Merfolk is pretty flooded on two drops though. It's hard to imagine anyone would want to copy a lord/silvergill/corralhelm when they could just play a lord/silvergill/corralhelm.
    With NO Rug being popular I wouldn't mind having access to a couple of them.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    With NO Rug being popular I wouldn't mind having access to a couple of them.
    This, and the Illusion costs less than some Merfolk lords. I hate Merfolk becoming better and better.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Buried Ruin

Land Rare
    {T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
    2, {T}, Sacrifice Buried Ruin: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
    History has buried its treasures deep.
    Why, they fixed Academy Ruins? This looks good in (strictly) MUD decks.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    It's the nuts in vintage, I can't see it doing a whole lot in legacy at the moment.
    Concerning Visions of Beyond: I don't think it was intended to be nuts in legacy...it's intended to be nuts in standard. Remember that Hedron Crab is still in standard, and the new Jace has Dr. Obvious synergy here.

I remember reading an article on magicthegathering.com that said essentially that they wanted to make poison counters competitive...and they have done that (more succussfully in standard, but there are fringe Berserk-style setups in legacy that do ok, too) I think this is an attempt to make MILL competetive...not as an alternate win/con (similar to old renditions of The Deck) but as a primary route to victory. I think that it combos with Jace 3.0 nicely in standard. Two activations of ability #2 and you have Ancestral Recall at instant speed. Nice.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

too bad it doesn't say target player draws...
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Phantasmal image is legacy playable. It's a 2 mana clone. Emrakul/Emmy killer. A bit narrow though. But there has to be some way to break this card.
    It seems really good in the new illusion deck!!

But in all seriousness it is a 2 mana clone, that alone seems great. BUt it's even funnier it you start playing hexproofed creature and copy those.... or you play this in Faries and copy Scion. Or play it in an allies deck and then you have 8 1U clone creatures.... or Slivers and have 12 muscel slivers.... another lord for merfolk that can have an upwards of, what, 16?, 20? lords.

But in seriousness seriousness; what creature targeting spell that is widely played isn't removal? Pump spells from beserk stompy? Burn in case you copy a creature with thoughness > 3

Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    But in seriousness seriousness; what creature targeting spell that is widely played isn't removal? Pump spells from beserk stompy? Burn in case you copy a creature with thoughness > 3
    Don't forget that Phantasmal Image is also allergic to cards like Grim Lavamancer and Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

I'm thinking storm: Visions of Beyond seems like it could work well in Pyromancer Ascension or Solidarity using stuff like Tolarian Winds and False Memories. It also seems like a pretty plausible choice for decks using Ad Nauseam.

Not sure about 'widely played' but soft removal like Maze of Ith does see play.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I play AnT and getting my yard to 20+ cards is a pretty rare occurance. It does happens, but not enough that I can reliably count on my yard being 20+ cards at all times in order to have Visions of Beyond turned on.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Visions of Beyond seems to work very well with SFM + SoBaM. I could see a U/W stonestill deck. Swing twice and start casting Ancestral Recalls...

"Catches Bullets With His Teeth?"
    Apr 2007

The DRAW 1 will likely not end up seeing play.
    More than anything, this set seems geared toward EDH players. :\

Thread Information