Thread: Swinging With Yu-Gi Oh! Cards: A Jupiter Games Invitational Second Place Report

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Swinging With Yu-Gi Oh! Cards: A Jupiter Games Invitational Second Place Report

Although the event was this past weekend, this story actually begins on day two of Grand Prix Providence. I had gone 3-3 drop with Team America and had gotten rolled in a side event with Canadian Thresh, Spell Snare and eight removal spells for Stoneforge Mystic be damned. I was bummed that Stifle/Waste wasn’t nearly as strong as it had been in years prior, and even more bummed that Legacy seemed to be centered around Tundras and Underground Seas; duals I didn’t own and couldn’t yet afford.
    Luckily for me, as I was watching the top eight, I ran into Jon Barber, who mentioned Reid Duke’s RUG Natural Order deck that had knocked him out to make the elimination rounds. Jon was playing the same Bant deck that he and the rest of his playgroup developed and that James Rynkiewicz ended up winning the tournament with. I hate Bant. I love Volcanic Islands. I had a Goblin deck that I was never going to play sitting in my trade binder. I pulled up a list on my phone, wandered over to the Jupiter Games booth and walked away with a brand new deck.

RUG Egyptian God Cards:

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Natural Order
    4 Noble Heirarch
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Daze
    3 Mental Misstep
    3 Vendilion Clique
    2 Ponder
    2 Fire/Ice
    1 Progenitus
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Trygon Predator
    1 Terastadon

Two weeks later, it was time for the Jupiter Games Northeast Legacy Championship Invitational, and I was stoked to give the list a spin. Unfortunately, I only had nine of the twelve required points to qualify, so I had a long day of grinders ahead of me before the actual Invitational. I headed down to Vestal on Friday morning and sleeved up the above list with a Grip and a Seal of Primordium over the two Ancient Grudges because nobody had them.

Grinder 1:
    Round One- Dan Rae- UGW Stoneforge Hawk

We had actually been playing the matchup right up until pairings were announced and it seemed to be 50/50 and almost entirely dependant on whether I could resolve an early Natural Order. Unfortunately, nerves got the better of me and several stupid plays later (such as walking an Order into a Daze with minimal pressure on the board and pitching my Trygon Predator to Force of Will on a Knight instead of just bolting the damn thing) I was waiting for another grinder to start up.

Grinder 2:

Round One: Merfolk

I’m going to apologize for forgetting names and events, this is all from memory and I didn’t keep notes. Anyway, I mull to six on the draw game one, and am pretty much a card short for the whole match. I don’t see much removal and he has some combination of unblockable guys through Islandwalk and Flying. I go to game two wondering if I made the right deck choice for the day.

Game two is infinitely better and I’m able to set up Lavamancer while never actually playing an Island thanks to two Hierarchs, a Forest and a Taiga. Natural Order comes down on turn three or four and ends things in short order.

Game three is a little more harrowing because I’m on the draw and therefore much more liable to Daze. Luckily, having nine spot removal spells postboard manages to keep his team down to a manageable size, and a Heirarch allows me to play Natural Order with a land open. He still has a flying Coralhelm Commander and another swimmer, so the race is on and I’m dead in the water if he manages to topdeck the Lord of Atlantis. Luckily, that doesn’t happen and a certain unblockable 10/10 smashes through his team.

Round Two: Eric Fry- Burn

The last time we played, he rolled me with Stoneforge Death and Taxes, so that’s what I assumed he was on, but his turn one Lava Spike quickly cleared things up. Fearing Price of Progress, I fetched a couple of basics and played Tarmogoyfs, sandbagging what countermagic I could amass. After game one, he showed me triple Price in his hand. Lucky me.

Game two is more of the same, with me picking off what I can with Missteps and Dazes and Force of Will waiting for his bombs. Some combination of Goyfs and Clique get sideways and a windmill-slammed Ensnaring Bridge is met with a Force of Will to seal the deal.

Round Three: UW Stoneforge Control

I handle an early Stoneforge and start running out my guys, but several well timed counters and removal spells keep me from applying any meaningful pressure. I think he sees something like three Swords to Plowshares early and ends the game with a Batterskull, Jace and Crucible in play and a Wasteland in his yard. I see the writing on the wall and we go to game two.

This one wasn’t particularly close. Natural Order for Progenitus happens between turns three and five and two turns later, we start shuffling up for the rubber game.

I keep a hand with little business but a lot of answers and decide to roll with it, while my opponent runs out Meddling Mage naming Natural Order. Fortunately, I have answers aplenty for the little guy and he eats a REB or a Bolt in short order. Sadly, I don’t have another protection spell for my Order and it runs headlong into a Force. A lot more draw-go later and he lands another Mage, again naming Order. I wipe it off the board as well, but at this point, my game plan involves lots of Tarmogoyfs rather than just swinging in with Exodia. The littler guys get there.

Round Four: UWR Stoneforge Control

At this point, I’m in the Invitational, but my opponent needs all twelve points from the grinder to qualify. Entry for these events isn’t cheap, so I start the match with the intention of splitting, with him taking the points and me taking the packs. We played it out for fun and Progenitus got there game one, but I couldn’t apply adequate pressure games two and three and lost to combinations of Batterskulls and Jaces. Karma paid off though and my first pack had a Batterskull. I cracked two more and called it a box.

After I qualified, I watched a couple more matches before heading over to Alex Artese’s house to play with dogs and pass out. Thanks again to Alex for putting me up on such short notice.

The next morning, I drove back down to Jupiter, picked up the two Ancient Grudges for my board, and shot the shit with whoever I didn’t see at the qualifiers. Eli makes some announcements, pairings go up and before long it’s time for…
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: Swinging With Yu-Gi Oh! Cards: A Jupiter Games Invitational Second Place Report

The Jupiter Games Northeast Legacy Championship Invitational:

Round One: James Higgenbottom- UWR Stoneforge

I answer an early Mystic with a Bolt, but he still grabs a Batterskull. I can’t resolve Clique to deal with the Equipment and the Natural Order in my hand is invalidated by the combination of my inability to stick a green creature and Wasteland. A Jace comes down and rudely informs me that it is time to go to game two.

Before this weekend, my goldfish to actual game ratio was something like 20:1. One of my favorite plays to make on invisible opponents was turn one Heirarch, turn two Clique, turn three Order; and that’s exactly what my hand for game two had. Things didn’t go exactly to plan because of a Wasteland tagging my Tropical Island, but a turn three Clique revealed a total of zero countermagic in James’ hand, and a turn four Natural Order ended things rather quickly.

Game three was an attrition war, with me again killing an early Stoneforge Mystic but not before he searched up some equipment. A Clique took his Batterskull, but revealed that he had drawn a Sword (I believe it was Feast and Famine) in his opener. I have a Red Blast for his Jace, but a Clique of his takes my Natural Order before getting shot by a Bolt. I run seven Tamogoyfs, so I have a pretty steady supply of threats and my Ancient Grudge turns a contested board position into a rout.

Round Two: Damon Whitby- Dredge

Before the tournament started, Damon had showed me Keldon Vandals as tech against Stoneforge, so I figured he was playing Dragon Stompy. I was on the play, so I mulled to six in search of a hand with Daze in it. I got the Daze, as well as a Misstep and a Force of Will to go with a land, Heirarch and Goyf. I Dazed his turn one Lion’s Eye Diamond and had the Misstep for his other discard outlet. Goyf got sideways for a couple turns and a Natural Order finished the job.

Game two was just a blowout. My had had a Force, Misstep, Crypt and Goyf to go with some other random blue cards. I countered his first few plays, Pondered into a second Crypt and Goyf sent me to 2-0 on the day.

Round Three: Bryant Cook- The Epic Storm

Pairings actually got posted during the lunch break, so I left him a friendly message about the matchup. When he was done bragging about how much better Subway is than buffalo chicken pizza (hint, it’s not), we shuffled up to start the match.

It wasn’t a particularly exciting one. I kept a hand with Misstep and Clique, but he makes a fuckton of Goblins the turn before Clique would’ve gotten active. I Natural Order and try to get a race going, but Progenitus never actually gets to swing because he also had the mana to Tendrils me out the next turn.

Game two, I keep a hand of blue cards and no land on the play, and say go sitting on double Force of Will and other goodies. I draw the land and play Heirarch, go. The little guy starts getting in there, but Bryant already has the Tendrils in his hand and drew nothing but mana sources. He storms me out for lethal.

Round Four: Dave Price- Zoo

I keep a relatively slow hand on the draw that does well if my turn one Heirarch sticks so I can start Zenithing for Tarmogoyfs on turn two. Unfortunately, my Noble bites the dust and I have to Daze his threats to try to stay afloat which puts me stupidly far behind. Dave plays a Knight and it’s time for game two.

I play Tarmogoyfs and burn out some of his threats, but his Path to Exiles prevent me from applying any sort of pressure. I’m trying to play around Choke as best as I can, so I have a Taiga and a Forest on board, but then Dave windmill slams Blood Moon. Oops. I do have an Island because of a Path, but the only creatures I draw are Cliques and I have to Daze burn spells so I can get to double blue. He has the answers for what few threats I resolve and when I finally draw Brainstorm it reveals Land, Land, Progenitus. Dag.

Round Five: Jurgis Paiulis- Show and Tell Hive Mind

I can’t remember exactly how, be it that he flashed me a Show and Tell during shuffling or I saw another of his matches, but I knew the matchup before it started. I kept a hand around Clique and Force of Will, while he built up his manabase. I started chipping with a Dryad Arbor and my draw phase Clique was met with a Force of Will. A Natural Order put my opponent on a two turn clock and he was out of countermagic due to the Clique. Force of Will on his Show and Tell had us going to our sideboards.

This was one of those games that just makes you feel dirty. I opened on five pieces of countermagic- A Daze, two Force of Will, a Red Elemental Blast and a Spell Pierce, with my other two cards being Land and Noble Heirarch. He tried to hardcast three different copies of Hive Mind and cast three counterspells of his own, but even that wasn’t enough because I had seen a second Daze and Red Blast, as well as a third Force. What a beating.

Round Six: Sneak N Show

I had seen one of his prior matches and again knew that he was on Show and Tell, this time, eschewing the Hive Minds for Emrakuls. Clique is hands down the best card for me in this matchup, but unfortunately, I have to settle for a good but not great grip that has a Force of Will and a couple Goyfs. Unfortunately, he has counter backup for his Show and Tell and Emrakul wrecks my board and life total.

My hand for game two was pretty similar to game one’s grip; containing various countermagics and Tarmogoyf. Goyf starts his life total on the long road to zero, but I’m not applying nearly as much pressure as I’d like. To make matters worse, he gets to five mana thanks to a Sol Land and a Lotus Petal, which invalidates the Spell Pierce in my hand. He goes for the Show and Tell, and I Brainstorm, hoping that he takes the bait. He does, in fact, go for the Pyroblast and I win the counter war with the Pierce and a Blast. As we shuffle up for game three, he’s obviously very angry at himself for walking into the trap.

To start the deciding game, I keep a hand with two Cliques and a Force of Will, while my opponent takes a trip to Paris and starts with Land, go. We play draw, go for a couple turns, and he sculpts his hand with cantrips while I try to chip away at his life total. Unfortunately for him, it’s obvious that he is constantly a card behind because of the mull. He finally goes for Show and Tell, and I Clique in response. He Forces, but I Force back, and head to round seven with a chance at top eight.

Round 7: BFS- Team Italia

We both go to six and I keep a hand based around Natural Order and a Noble Heirarch. Heirarch gets Misstepped and my Trop gets Wasted but my hand is still pretty decent thanks to the Order and having lots of land. He resolves Bob, but I snap fetch a Dryad Arbor in response to his attacking and trade with the Confidant. He lands another Bob, but his flips are absolutely terrible and allow me to race with only a Heirarch for offense. I finally draw a Clique, and play it on his draw step, revealing a bunch of things that aren’t removal. I let him keep his hand and swing in for four in the air the next turn to drop him to two. He flips another Confidant for the loss.

I keep a hand that’s pretty focused on the agro plan and start running out Tarmogoyfs on turn two. BFS, however, has kept a hand that is the perfect foil to lots of Tarmogoyfs and successfully Goes for the Throat on my first few threats. Lucky for me, the only creatures he has are Bobs, and those have a nasty habit of being in burn range. I draw a Natural Order and am waiting on the fourth land, but draw the Progenitus before that can happen. He goes for a Goyf, but I Force and pitch the big lug, then fetch an Arbor and Order for a Goyf of my own. Unfortunately, that Goyf meets yet another removal spell, and we’re both in topdeck mode. I draw a Daze, but my frustration turns to jubilation when he taps out to go for a Jace. With my Progenitus out of the way, he plays Llawan as his only threat, but she’s quickly dwarfed by my Goyf. We trade swings for a few turns, and when he finally leaves his Empress untapped to block, I rip a Ponder off the top and dig into a Lightning Bolt for the win.

While waiting for the round to end, I talk to the other players who were in contention and find that two of the guys above me had lost. Even better, Bryant had won his match and Will Fisher had forced Dave Price to play it out and lost, meaning my tiebreakers had gotten saucy. I called Nick (Tivon) and Chris (rsaunder) to inform them that I had definitely made top sixteen and had a chance at top eight. Final standings went up while I was on the phone with Chris and it turned out I had snuck into eighth! Bryant and I share a terrible jumping high five and I get some congratulations from the rest of the guys.

Top Eight: Dave Price- Zoo (The Reprise)

Here’s the video, for those who don’t want to read any more ^_^
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15322201

This matchup comes down to whether I draw Missteps and Natural Orders. In our first match, I didn’t draw any of either and got blown out. This time, my hand was different. Much different. I play land, Hierarch, go and Misstep his turn one Nacatl. I Zenith at zero for an Arbor and run out a Tarmogoyf on turn two. He plays something irrelevant on his turn two, because Order comes down on my next main phase and Progenitus goes the distance.

For game two, I kept a hand with two Heirarchs, a Goyf and a Zenith. Dave has the early Lynx, which starts chipping away at my life total, but my Tarmogoyfs quickly stabilize the board. Unfortunately for me, Dave has two Goyfs of his own, as well as another Steppe Lynx, so we are apparently at an impasse. I Force of Will a Jitte to put me in topdeck mode, but manage to rip another Force the next turn. Dave swings with the team, and I block his Lynxes, hardcasting my Force of Will on his Path to Exile to keep both my Goyfs on the board. I will Natural Order to the top of my deck and Progenitus puts me in the top four.

Top Four: Damon Whitby- Ichorid

Neither one of these games are particularly exciting. Damon mulls to four game one and I counter his discard outlet and play Tarmogoyf. By the time Damon gets his dredge on, he has to hit the stone cold nuts and doesn’t.

My hand for this game is nearly identical to my grip from our first game two, except I don’t have the Crypt. Again, I have the counters for his early discard outlets and my turn one Ponder finds me a Tormod’s Crypt. Goyf makes short work of his life total, while Crypt nukes his yard.

Finals: Dan Rae- UGW Caw Bant

Another video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15324753

This was just a beating. He has a Goyf that’s bigger than mine, a Swords for my Goyf and I drew a ton of land.

I was tilted from drawing like five blanks, and got greedy and tried to Force a Misstep on my Heirarch. He had the Swords anyway, and a Wasteland for my Volcanic after I resolved Lavamancer. He plays Stoneforge and I don’t have the answer because I’m sitting on Island/Trop. Awesome. He plays out his equipments, and I’m pretty much out of the game, especially when he drops Jace, and my one ray of hope in Anceint Grudge runs into Spell Pierce. Dag.

Either way, I was stoked to walk away with second, especially considering how many ringers were in the field. I’m not gonna talk about my performance Sunday, because I played like garbage and was sorta burnt out on the deck after playing like 16 matches with it, not counting all the testing.

Props:
    Reid Duke- The deck is bonkers and super fun to play.
    The rest of the top eight- Pretty much all of them are friends of mine. Grats on the finishes, guys.
    Will Fisher- For making Dave Price play it out.
    Dave Price- For beating Will and giving me a place to crash for Saturday night. I owe you for the hotel room the next time I see you.
    Alex Artese- For putting me up on such short notice Friday. Thanks again, man.
    Dave, Damon, Alix and Krieger- For being awesome company.
    Krieger again for being the gold medalist in the Creeper Olympics. Bertoncini has nothing on you.
    Progenitus- This is what swinging with you feels like. Every time (if you didn’t get the title of the report, here you go).

Slops:
    Damon for stealing my lighter.
    Bant.
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Derp.
    Mar 2009
    Ny

Re: Swinging With Yu-Gi Oh! Cards: A Jupiter Games Invitational Second Place Report

Well done sir :]
    L4W

Congratz on the finish. Nice playmat too, where did you get it?

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

You stole two games over two rounds, and consequently, the several hundred dollars between second and third from me.

A lighter was the least you could give in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    You stole two games over two rounds, and consequently, the several hundred dollars between second and third from me.

A lighter was the least you could give in return.
    Fair enough. I wish that at least one of our games could've been interactive.
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Bryant Cook

Our match was much more amazing then you made it seem. I played that shit BRILLIANTLY!

Good Job, I guess...

Team Ninth Place
    Jun 2008
    Gansevoort, NY

"This was one of those games that just makes you feel dirty. I opened on five pieces of countermagic- A Daze, two Force of Will, a Red Elemental Blast and a Spell Pierce, with my other two cards being Land and Noble Heirarch. He tried to hardcast three different copies of Hive Mind and cast three counterspells of his own, but even that wasn’t enough because I had seen a second Daze and Red Blast, as well as a third Force. What a beating."

What you forgot to mention regarding this game was the fact that this was on a mull to six. Also the countermagic was two Force of Will, two R.E.B., two daze, and a spell pierce as we discussed this after the match ended. You, sir, were a savage and congrats on your finish.

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Congratz on the finish. Nice playmat too, where did you get it?
    If you are talking about the drawn on playmat that is mine, and I got it on ebay
    Check out my Articles

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Why didnt you flashback Ancient Grudge?

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Why didnt you flashback Ancient Grudge?
    Because he had Batterskull + SoFi. At that point, he just Jace bounces my blocker and beats me to death.
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by shadowofdoubt9488 View Post
    "This was one of those games that just makes you feel dirty. I opened on five pieces of countermagic- A Daze, two Force of Will, a Red Elemental Blast and a Spell Pierce, with my other two cards being Land and Noble Heirarch. He tried to hardcast three different copies of Hive Mind and cast three counterspells of his own, but even that wasn’t enough because I had seen a second Daze and Red Blast, as well as a third Force. What a beating."

What you forgot to mention regarding this game was the fact that this was on a mull to six. Also the countermagic was two Force of Will, two R.E.B., two daze, and a spell pierce as we discussed this after the match ended. You, sir, were a savage and congrats on your finish.
    Yeah, I forgot what I opened on, but I got the number of counterspells right. I drew another force too, I just didn't have the blue card
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Good report, good finish.

I really like your deck.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Our match was much more amazing then you made it seem. I played that shit BRILLIANTLY!

Good Job, I guess...
    Hah, you definitely did, it just looked a lot differently from my end of the board.
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Congrats!

May 2011
    Dalian, China

How did you like the two MD fire//ice?

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    How did you like the two MD fire//ice?
    Pitching to Force was really clutch. There were times I would've preferred Chain Lightning, but overall, they were the right call. It's really a meta/personal preference decision.
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards

Thread Information