Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Free Article] 8 Cards That Should Be Unbanned in Legacy

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: [Free Article] 8 Cards That Should Be Unbanned in Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    If this were the case, I'd run 4 Show and Tell into any blue deck just to put Jace TMS into play turn 3.
    Seems a poor use of SnT when turn 2 Noble,BoP,Monolith, Signet or anything that makes 1 can do this without letting opponent drop something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

All I've got to say is if they unban Black Vise and Gush, fuck all you guys I'm playing Stasis.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Aug 2010
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    All I've got to say is if they unban Black Vise and Gush, fuck all you guys I'm playing Stasis.
    +1

xtuffx

Dec 2008

I hope they do unban Land Tax, so then I can read these same people complain about how awful it is for the format, etc etc.

I like how everyone is ranting about how broken Gush would be in Legacy. Fact is the format we play in is much slower than Vintage - where the player casting the spell would likely have a plethora of available artifact mana open for use. Setting yourself back two turns in exchange for drawing two cards isn't that great (unless it is abused in some sort of "Lands" shell with Horn of Greed, and even then, you already have Cycling lands which functionally act the same way when you consider there are better options in that instance anyway.

Control decks in Legacy want lands to be able to cast spells. Fathom Seer already acts in a similar vain and I just smile whenever it hits the table against me - because I relish knowing my opponents are set back in exchange for cards (with Weathered Wayfarer effectively useless against basics).

That kind of tempo loss could be devastating against the wrong opponent. Ancestral Vision is just better in this format. It doesn't set you back and by the time you would actually want to cast it (Gush), Vision would just be going off anyway - netting you +3 at that turn as opposed to no advantage. Granted, it is a late-game bomb, which is fine, but does it really matter at that point?

Force (of Will) in Vintage as opposed to Force in Legacy is clearly not made from the same fabric; a countered Gush in Legacy is akin to a complete blowout if the alternate cost is paid - even if it is played correctly. And even if you Force back, you're putting yourself in a hole anyways. Mana Drain is not legal in this format, so floating two mana from the Gush to open yourself up to a play after the fact doesn't really matter much. I don't see any reason to keep it banned in Legacy. The card in the right deck would be great, but certainly not broken.

Frantic Search on the other hand...

Apr 2008
    Hayden, AL

What exactly would be the best Archtype for a Gush deck? Someone said Doomsday, but Doomsday decks still have the problem Mental Misstep>Dark Ritual. Anything else? I do not think Stasis would be broken enough with Gush for it to make a comeback neither. Gush just seems like a good control card since it dodges waste and gives card advantage. Makes Aether Vial decks better? Iunno but I would like to know what is a broken Gush list.

Fastbond is countered by Mental Misstep, does that mean it should be legal?
    Team Shit Sandwich; smelling bad so you don't have to.

You get 16 lifeloss without even using LED for BBBU with Gush. That's a generic pile that assumes that you want to play your own Force of Will, Thoughtseize, and Mental Misstep. It's not terribly difficult to adapt it to use LEDs and Wishes to abuse (read instantly kill) aggro decks and you're always going to get enough storm vs blue.

I dare you to give me Gush.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Gush isn't just a free Wasteland counter, it produces mana and draws cards. How anybody could ever imagine unbanning that is beyond me.

Please, unban Gush so we can quickly demonstrate to anyone ignorant of its power why it shouldn't be unbanned.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I like how everyone is ranting about how broken Gush would be in Legacy. Fact is the format we play in is much slower than Vintage - where the player casting the spell would likely have a plethora of available artifact mana open for use. Setting yourself back two turns in exchange for drawing two cards isn't that great (unless it is abused in some sort of "Lands" shell with Horn of Greed, and even then, you already have Cycling lands which functionally act the same way when you consider there are better options in that instance anyway.

Control decks in Legacy want lands to be able to cast spells. Fathom Seer already acts in a similar vain and I just smile whenever it hits the table against me - because I relish knowing my opponents are set back in exchange for cards (with Weathered Wayfarer effectively useless against basics).

That kind of tempo loss could be devastating against the wrong opponent. Ancestral Vision is just better in this format. It doesn't set you back and by the time you would actually want to cast it (Gush), Vision would just be going off anyway - netting you +3 at that turn as opposed to no advantage. Granted, it is a late-game bomb, which is fine, but does it really matter at that point?

Force (of Will) in Vintage as opposed to Force in Legacy is clearly not made from the same fabric; a countered Gush in Legacy is akin to a complete blowout if the alternate cost is paid - even if it is played correctly. And even if you Force back, you're putting yourself in a hole anyways. Mana Drain is not legal in this format, so floating two mana from the Gush to open yourself up to a play after the fact doesn't really matter much. I don't see any reason to keep it banned in Legacy. The card in the right deck would be great, but certainly not broken.

Frantic Search on the other hand...
    Fathom Seer costs all of three fucking mana more than Gush. That is comparable in the way that Ancestral Recall is comparable to Concentrate.

The slower a format, the better Gush is so I really have no idea what you're talking about here.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Shax View Post
    What exactly would be the best Archtype for a Gush deck? Someone said Doomsday, but Doomsday decks still have the problem Mental Misstep>Dark Ritual. Anything else? I do not think Stasis would be broken enough with Gush for it to make a comeback neither. Gush just seems like a good control card since it dodges waste and gives card advantage. Makes Aether Vial decks better? Iunno but I would like to know what is a broken Gush list.

Fastbond is countered by Mental Misstep, does that mean it should be legal?
    If Gush was unbanned it probably wouldn't take stasis up a notch, but Black Vise would and both at the same time would be awesome IMO because I would love to see the look on people's faces when I'm like Stasis, Gush, Daze, Twart, Black Vise, Mental Misstep.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

I don't think most people realise how silly Gush would be in Doomsday combo.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    I don't think most people realise how silly Gush would be in Doomsday combo.
    There's absolutely nothing silly about a free cantrip that draws 2, adds a storm, dodges Misstep, and dodges Spell Snare :P.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Can we cap all the specific examples of decks that want Gush? The short list is, "Everything that plays blue", which would incidentally be all the viable decks in the format if Gush came off the list.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    There's absolutely nothing silly about a free cantrip that draws 2, adds a storm, dodges Misstep, and dodges Spell Snare :P.
    Not to mention it saves your non-basic Islands from Wasteland and the like.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Gush is very powerful. It's hard to picture what it does without playing with and against it and the impact that drawing 2 cards for what is essentially free has on a game.

Even a tempo based list for an example. I can untap turn 3 with 2 Islands, play Gush, draw 2, replay a land untapped and have 2 mana in pool, play Goyf/Dreadnought+Stifle/Hymn, and the chance to have more protection/threats in hand. Add to that with Legacy's already anemic land counts and what it can do to Wasteland, which is the most played card that is not a basic land. Any deck not playing Gush loses to that in an attrition war.

Gush is great to play with not so much against and it is not for Legacy

The format has diversity and that is what keeps people interested In brewing, testing and subsequently in playing over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Yeah gush is completely fair except not really. As I once read a quote on this board "Gush protects threshold's lands at the steep cost of DRAWING CARDS." Gush should never come off if it does every single deck I play would abuse that card. Doomsday would be stupid. Tempo Thresh would be stupid. U/X.dec would be stupid etc. etc.

Also in doomsday gush would be just plain stupid. I can't stress how much fun emidln would have playing 4 gush in a doomsday list and how broken it would be. It breaks LED even more. And someone said mental misstep counters dark ritual in DDFT. Big whoop. What if you go cabal rit, doomsday with that handy MM in hand? What then? Mental misstep isn't the end of combo; anyone who is familiar with combo and knows how to pilot it can put up results with it. See: Scott Limoges, hadn't played in a tournament for over 2 years, took ANT with 4 gitaxian probe's and top 8'ed with it. In fact, mental misstep actually helps storm because people devote less SB hate to combo with their 4 misstep's and 4 force's MD which realistically cannot beat combo by itself.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I remember it back in 1.5, and it was slow and annoying, to be honest.

-Matt
    SDT is far more annoying, slow and promotes cheating far more than Land Tax ever did. Oh ... did I mention it's also ubiquitous? colorless? and near impossible to destroy.

Unban Land Tax.

Thread Information