Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: U/G infect

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Re: U/G infect

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    I guess you could try Rancor.
    Sounds spicy. I could see it working more than it should. Don't be 2 for 1'd and GL. Also if you're really in a bind Mutagenic Growth is still "free." Just lean on the modern list for a more budget version.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If you lack hierarchs, I'd play more free pump to try tobe quicker. Hierarch plus any infect man is a very real clock which allows you to grind it out. Lacking hierarch you lose that ability. I wouldn't even play deathrite tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Yes, what megadeus said. Hierarchs makes grinding out games possible. If you absolutely must replace 3, I'd look at Green Sun's Zenith, additional Pendelhaven/Crop Rotation, maybe even Cathedral of War. Exalted is really important.

I don't see Deathrite bring profitable.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Mar 2010
    Philippines

top8ed today with uginfect..30 man tourney i guess..maindecked needles...won vs mud..dredge..punishing jund..lost to merfolks by getting greedy with crop rotation that was countered and never got back game three..quarterfinals wherein i made a terrible sb mistake by boarding out needles and got punished by grim that i didnt saw coming..relied on pendels that didnt came...will post a link of the list once i get it on tcdecks..im just too sleepy haha..i might try typing it tomorrow..
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Jan 2010
    Germany

Tom Ross`article should be free by now, but the link (that lordofthepit posted a page back) isn´t working anymore. Anybody got an idea why?

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by venice View Post
    Tom Ross`article should be free by now, but the link (that lordofthepit posted a page back) isn´t working anymore. Anybody got an idea why?
    Because for some reason it's still tagged as Premium. I get the "site down" type of error unless I log in and then select the link.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Jan 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    I get the "site down" type of error unless I log in and then select the link.
    Same here. Hm, ok maybe we just have to wait a couple of more days. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by venice View Post
    It's up now
    http://www.mtgstocks.com for your daily MTG Finance!

Jan 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Cybey View Post
    It's up now
    Great! Thanks for the info! Will check it out right away!

I. Overview
    II. Core Deck List
    III. Card Choices
    IV. Sideboard Options
    V. Sideboarding Strategies
    VI. Priceguide
    VII. Awesome Links
    VIII. Infect in action

I. Overview

UG Infect is based on the Infect mechanic, first introduced in the Scars of Mirrodin Block that focuses on giving the opponent 10 poison counters to win the game. It is an aggro-combo deck that utilizes small creatures with Infect and pump spells to win, which can happen as fast as the second turn. The creatures in the deck are all 1/1, that you're trying to pump with spells and exalted triggers. While it can play the long game if needed, the deck is aiming to kill as quickly as possible. We do this by playing the most efficient pump spells available to us.

The aggro part of the deck mostly comes from green spells: all pump spell and (almost) all creatures are green. Blue makes sure we have a fighting chance to combo and to protect our small (vulnerable) creatures. The deck does contain blue creatures and also green provides some interactions to provide protection.

Poison counters have existed in Magic since the Legends expansion, although only two cards where printed that actually used them: Pit Scorpion and Serpent Generator. While those cards have never seen competitive play, a few more cards with poison counters have been printed in The Dark expansion set and the Mirage block. In the Time Spiral block, the poisonous mechanic was introduced, but was mostly used in casual or rogue Sliver decks in the form of Virulent Sliver as an alternative win condition. The Homelands expansion has the only card that gets rid of poison counters: Leeches. Finally, when Scars of Mirrodin block got printed, Legacy received the tools necessary to start playing this wonderful mechanic.

One of the most notable players of this deck is Tom Ross, who won the SCG Invitational on 8/29/2014.

II. Core Deck List

Creatures
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Noble Hierarch

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    0-2 Spell Pierce
    0-1 Stifle
    2-3 Gitaxian Probe

2 Berserk
    4 Invigorate
    4 Vines of Vastwood
    0-1 Green Sun's Zenith
    1-2 Crop Rotation

Lands
    0-1 Dryad Arbor
    1-2 Pendelhaven
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Forest
    3-4 Tropical Island
    0-1 Savannah
    1 Wasteland
    8 fetchland

III. Card Choices

Creatures
    Blighted Agent: Our only creature that does not care about the creatures of your opponent. This creature is a must-answer for most fair decks.
    Glistener Elf: Simple 1/1 Infecter that enables our turn two wins.
    Noble Hierarch: Noble Hierarch has quickly been adopted as 4-of in this deck, since it's amazing. It accelerates our mana development, allowing us to play more pump spells and it pumps our infecters, while also adding protection against Liliana of the Veil.

Pump Spells
    Berserk: Berserk is one of the most important pump spells in the deck, but only powerful in combination with another pump spell. It gives our creature trample and doubles the creature's power. It also doubles as a removal spell of your opponent's creatures. This cards was actually banned in Legacy from 1994 to 2003!
    Invigorate: Invigorate is our most efficient pump spell, since we can cast it for free. It gives our creature +4/+4 and our opponent 3 life which we do not care about.
    Vines of Vastwood: Vines can give our creature +4/+4, but also often is used as protection spell for our creature in response to a removal spell. It can also be used to prevent an opponent from equipping his own creature. Remember that Vines does not actually give hexproof, but protection from spells or abilities your opponents control.

Other Spells
    Brainstorm: Arguably the best Legacy staple. Draw three cards, put the two worst ones back and crack your fetchland to shuffle those two awful cards away.
    Ponder: Look at the three top cards, keep one or shuffle those three awful cards away.
    Force of Will: Important Legacy staple in most (all) blue decks. While most decks run a playset, we usually only run three.
    Daze: "free" counterspell for early removal.
    Gitaxian Probe: Mainly used to see if the coast is clear and making the deck "smaller".
    Crop Rotation: Sac your land in response to their Wasteland, sac your land to find Inkmoth Nexus if you don't have a creature, find your single Wasteland to take care of their problem land, get Dryad Arbor in response to Liliana's sac ability or find your Pendelhaven for that additional damage. Also finds Karakas or Bojuka Bog after sideboarding.
    Green Sun's Zenith: Find your creature or Dryad Arbor.

Lands
    Dryad Arbor: Mainly used to negate Liliana's sac effect or surprise chump block. If you run Green Sun's Zenith, you can also use it as mana acceleration.
    Wasteland: Take care of that pesky land. Grove of the Burnwillows or Tabernacle are great targets.
    Inkmoth Nexus: For many decks the hardest card to interact with, especially decks that do not run Wasteland. Gets around Liliana of the Veil, Maelstrom Pulse and Abrupt Decay.
    Pendelhaven: All your creatures are 1/1, so this card really found a home to shine in. Don't forget that a 1/1 creature with Pendelhaven is a 5 turn clock. Add a Hierarch and you have a 4 turn clock!

IV. Sideboard Options

These cards are common sideboard cards used in UG Infect decks. A few are metagame choices, others are mandatory.
    Bojuka Bog
    Flusterstorm
    Force of Will
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Karakas (mandatory)
    Krosan Grip (mandatory 2x)
    Nature's Claim (mandatory)
    Necropede
    Piracy Charm
    Pithing Needle
    Rest in Peace (only if you splash white)
    Spell Pierce
    Spellskite
    Submerge
    Swords to Plowshares (only if you splash white)
    Sylvan Library (mandatory)

V. Sideboarding Strategies

For sideboarding I would strongly advise to read Tom Ross' article The Ultimate Guide To Infect.

VI. Priceguide

These are the prices of the most common UG Infect cards. For the most current prices, click on the link of each card. High - Mid - Low according to MTGStocks.
    Blighted Agent $1.15 $0.27 $0.13
    Glistener Elf $1.30 $0.29 $0.12
    Noble Hierarch $83.88 $72.75 $64.98
    Brainstorm $2.49 $0.99 $0.20
    Ponder $1.99 $0.92 $0.65
    Daze $5.49 $3.08 $1.84
    Force of Will $128.25 $85.99 $72.75
    Spell Pierce $3.29 $2.19 $0.98
    Stifle $24.99 $7.36 $4.89
    Gitaxian Probe $3.00 $2.16 $0.48
    Berserk $79.99 $58.23 $51.73
    Invigorate $1.98 $0.75 $0.45
    Vines of Vastwood $2.99 $1.89 $1.25
    Green Sun's Zenith $9.99 $5.12 $3.99
    Crop Rotation $1.99 $0.53 $0.33
    Dryad Arbor $7.98 $6.00 $4.74
    Pendelhaven $5.24 $4.42 $2.90
    Inkmoth Nexus $14.99 $9.52 $7.00
    Tropical Island $500.00 $200.00 $150.00
    Savannah $180.00 $79.22 $60.96
    Wasteland $200.00 $77.58 $62.01

To compare, Tom Ross' 1st Place SCG invitational deck costs: $3247.69 - $1449.96 - $1100.21 (source: http://mtgstocks.com/decks/77478)

VII. Awesome Links

The Ultimate Guide To Infect by Tom Ross

Boss Sligh & Bant Infect by Tom Ross

VIII. Infect in action

SCG Open Atlanta - March 2nd, 2014
    Quarterfinals: Tom Ross vs. BBD (Miracles) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN88M9bL9M8

SCG Invitational - April 2nd, 2014
    Round 10/16: Tom Ross vs. Ross Merriam (Elves) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6qcZy1RhYY

SCG Invitational - August 31st, 2014
    Finals: Reid Duke (Miracles) vs. Tom Ross - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujNcDm8FQSU

Quarterfinals: Jared Boettcher (SnS) vs. Tom Ross - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TI1zGua1Y

Round 3/16: Tom Ross vs. Gerry Thompson (Shardless BUG) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5arSRG2PA

SCG Open Atlanta - September 14th, 2014
    Semi-finals: Todd Anderson (Infect) vs. Brad Nelson (Infect) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IsQC9CxMjE
    Last edited by Cybey; 10-10-2014 at 05:37 AM.

I took the liberty of writing a simple primer so we can be moved to Established Decks.
    I'll give others a few days to give me some suggestions or alterations.

Primer looks great! However I notice you refer to the deck as UR infect throughout. Thanks for putting it together!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Very nice wrok, just a small mistake: its UG deck, not UR as you wrote few times. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Very nice wrok, just a small mistake: its UG deck, not UR as you wrote few times. :)
    That's just plain embarrassing. Updated it though.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Two small notes on the primer: Legends wasn't a block, and (at least) Marsh Viper appeared between Legends and Time Spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Two small notes on the primer: Legends wasn't a block, and (at least) Marsh Viper appeared between Legends and Time Spiral.
    Thanks. Added some clarification. Read my own primer again today and fixed some typos and sentences. Also added a few youtube matches of SCG.

I also actually want to fill the "Sideboarding Strategies" section, but I don't want to copy Tom Ross' article.
    Last edited by Cybey; 10-10-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Cybey -

Go ahead and post that primer in a new thread in the New and Development section and the mod staff will archive this thread.
    Please also include a link in the primer to this thread so people can explore past discussion.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Could the primer be moved to the "Established Decks" section?
    URL: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...nfect&p=839244

Thread Information