Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Discussion] Do you think Modern Magic threatens the viability of Legacy or Extended?

Re: [Discussion] Do you think Modern Magic threatens the viability of Legacy or Exten

@SpikeyMikey: the fact that Legacy gets more attention from Wizzards doesn't mean necessarily a good thing.

Actually they admit, that it is quite scary as Aaron Forsythe himself said "You'd think that the decade of learning would actually make the work easier, and that is true for many aspects of the job, but now more than ever, with the growing popularity of humongous, era-spanning formats like Legacy and Commander, the silent demands of that part of the audience saying, "I have access to 10,000 cards—impress me" weigh mightily on us."
    source:
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...ly/feature/148

From that I took, that Wizards are quite afraid of Legacy format. Usualy it is in our nature, that we don't like things we are afraid of, aren't we?

(sorry for weak english, I am not native speaker, just an old fart from mid-east Europe)

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Re: [Discussion] Do you think Modern Magic threatens the viability of Legacy or Exten

Quote Originally Posted by workingdude View Post
    If WotC announces Modern later this year as an official DCI format, I'd be wary of SCG announcing that the 10k weekends for next year's seasons would now be Saturday Standard, Sunday Modern. If this happens, modern magic WILL threaten the viability of Legacy.
    It depends on how many Modern events popped up all over the place. I don't see SCG abandoning Legacy anytime soon when the last event I went too a little under a month ago, set a new record in Legacy attendance. As long as things are heading up I don't see why SCG would rock the boat, and they basically have zero competition in Legacy. There is all of two Legacy tournaments a year in North America not at Jupiter games or SCG worth traveling for, Legacy World Champs at GenCon and the one America GP. If WotC doubles the amount of GPs and runs Modern they will probably run 4-6 at least to get the ball rolling, and it would still be in SCGs best interests to keep running Legacy as plenty of people would still rather play Legacy then a format that only exists because the decks will on average be 30-60% cheaper. I mean even people that absolutely HATE some cards/decks in Legacy refuse to move over to Modern, just look at Dr. Jones. He never stops complaining about FoW yet refuses to move on to Modern.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    80% of the people that play magic don't want to build decks at all. Or can't.
    80% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information