Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June 20 2011 DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement

Re: June 20 2011 DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement

Probably the price now will be set a bit lower but I would not expect to drop drasticly. SFM price is now established at quite low level. The only thing is that the Batterskull will go down due to the fact that in t2 without mystic it is crapy 5 CC equipment.

Jace dropped down to around 60$, hopefully it goes down even further. Wouldn't mind picking up a playset eventually.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Jace dropped down to around 60$, hopefully it goes down even further. Wouldn't mind picking up a playset eventually.
    Yes, it's probably the right time to do it. I'm particularly happy for the earlier price dropping. As for Legacy: I'm ok with no changes for the moment. The metagame hasn't settled yet. September will be the right moment to ban (hopefully not) or unban something, since we should have a clearer idea about the shape of the format.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    The article discusses repeatable, mechanic plays. Searching Top and Land Taxing every turn are the effect they want to discourage, not the strategic remove combat effects such as you listed.
    And then they printed Jace.

eta: I'm not saying that they don't want to avoid these effects in general, by the way I'm just saying this isn't a strong argument for keeping Land Tax on the list. Unlike Jace or Top, it's borderline unplayable. And it contributes far less to stalling the game than fetchlands do.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Jace can be had online for around 30 tix right now. No idea if this will be the low (perhaps that will come sometime this week), but it's already quite affordable for legacy players now.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Finally I can get a set of foil Jaces for a decent price. That and one for EDH. A nice foil Batterskull will be much easier to get too. Prepare to watch the remaining cards shoot up now.

They make an event deck featuring one of the cards they ban 10 days later? I know they made "War of Attrition" legal in standard regardless, but ffs... I have to use an untranslatable danish phrase here, "det er en ommer".

Such amateurish behaviour had I never expected to see from a multi-million international company.

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Even if I would have seen it likely that they changed S&T's errata and unbanning Earthcraft, I am perfectly fine with no changes till autumn. I think its the right way to give Legacy more chance to establish post-NPH and take action after a few months.
    I complained much about gamedesign and decisions they made (especially in the last time) but right now I think they are going the right way, with nearly all formats.
    Now they only need to bin EXT and replacing it with Modern and I'd be happy.
    I could see S&T getting axed (or erratad) and Earth Craft beeing unbanned, but this isnt the time and place to start that again.
    Happy to play the most balanced and fun format further on with the feeling that it gets more attention by no attention at first glance.
    In response...Hypothek!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I'm glad I sold my Jaces when I did.

They did the right thing I think, but it was a bit late, as usual. Could they have left it until September? Sure, and it would have been fine. But, I think they didn't want other players to basically leave and come back up to that point. Seeing as how Caw-blade is more prolific than Raffinity (from the percentages, so I've heard), I can see why they've done something about it.

This is great for Legacy, since these cards are becoming more important, keeping costs a bit down should be good. Who knows if Stoneforge is too good for Legacy (we're seeing more and more Stoneforge infiltration into Legacy, who knows is the DCI will deem it as too good?)

-Matt

There's one JTMS at 49.95 buy it now (with shipping), and three at 52 BIN with shipping). Let's see where this goes, shall we?
    Rishadan Port is like scuba gear.
    --FoulQ

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Who knows if Stoneforge is too good for Legacy (we're seeing more and more Stoneforge infiltration into Legacy, who knows is the DCI will deem it as too good?)
    Stoneforge is good, but I seriously doubt they could print anything that would it make broken.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Stoneforge is good, but I seriously doubt they could print anything that would it make broken.
    Print Jace as an Equipment.

Seriously though, I'm happy on all fronts: Worldgorger got unbanned in EDH and gives a hilarious wincon in one of my decks that will just flat lose to anyone with a wipeaway, bounce spell, disenchant effect, etc... Jace finally got banned in Type 2 (i feel a bit late, though i can understand Forsythe's reasons for waiting), and stoneforge got nixed is just gravy. I might actually play type 2 again now, because Splinter Twin is beatable and you can still race and disrupt Valakut. /shrug.

No changes on the Legacy side was the right call, nothing right now needs to be banned as the format settles from the Misstep hype, and hopefully people will realize Stoneblade is not the end-all of decks... It's shows so far as flavor of the month, just like with decks in the past whose popularity wax and wane with metashifts. The deck is not Survival Vengevine/Ooze.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

This banning reinforces the fact that Standard is a bad investment. I'm glad I got into Eternal when I did.
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Sep 2007
    MN

Were you investing in "fun" or actually investing in standard legal magic the gathering cards? What type of financial gains were you anticipating?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Anyone that thinks that Magic is a sound financial enterprise is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    Even if I would have seen it likely that they changed S&T's errata
    ?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I think he means that he wants an errata so that Show & Tell includes Planeswalkers in it's text.

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    Were you investing in "fun" or actually investing in standard legal magic the gathering cards? What type of financial gains were you anticipating?
    Me, personally? I stopped playing Standard at Lorwyn block because it was boring so as far as investing--I never did. I don't know what you mean by financial gains. When I say "investing in Standard", I mean paying money for new cards. I just think Standard is a trap format where people pour money in and get relatively nothing back because cards drop in value(aside from Eternal staples). This banning just proves that Standard is the wrong thing to spend money on year-in and year-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bignasty197 View Post
    Me, personally? I stopped playing Standard at Lorwyn block because it was boring so as far as investing--I never did. I don't know what you mean by financial gains. When I say "investing in Standard", I mean paying money for new cards. I just think Standard is a trap format where people pour money in and get relatively nothing back because cards drop in value(aside from Eternal staples). This banning just proves that Standard is the wrong thing to spend money on year-in and year-out.
    Close to all people that play standard play for fun, the minority plays in tournaments, and those people know what you know (it's not like it's a secret, they buy in knowing fully that they're losing money). In general, people don't care that their cards lose value unless they take magic as something other than the fun game that it is.

I think their banning was necessary, every other deck in the format just got better and it's going to open the floodgates for a few months on innovation.

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Close to all people that play standard play for fun, the minority plays in tournaments, and those people know what you know (it's not like it's a secret, they buy in knowing fully that they're losing money). In general, people don't care that their cards lose value unless they take magic as something other than the fun game that it is.

I think their banning was necessary, every other deck in the format just got better and it's going to open the floodgates for a few months on innovation.
    I admit, I do have a deep distaste for Standard. This banning is probably healthy for that format because both of the cards in question are extremely good in this format.

Thread Information