Thread: how do you get people interested in this format?

the answer is 3

Feb 2011

how do you get people interested in this format?

How do you get people to want to play Legacy? I want to build a legacy communitty near me, but how? Most people seem to be turned away by availablity or price. Others seem to think a format which can be so fast (combo and agro) or so controlling (prison decks and other control) just wouldn't be fun. How do you get players interested in type 1.5?
    Ding, fries are done

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Re: how do you get people interested in this format?

Play it in front of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Try getting them to playtest with you on any of the free online mtg games with all the decks you think/know they would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

You ban Jace 2.0 and Stoneforge Mystic in standard.

Seriously though. Just try to make forum post soliciting people in your area or bring Legacy decks to your local shop.

Goodluck! Best format ever until it because too expensive to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Play it in front of them.
    This is what got me interested in Legacy. I went to a legacy tournament with a friend with a jank-ass G/U Madness deck, and seeing how complicated and precise every deck was was just amazing.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Here is the process I've been going through trying to get a real Legacy community started in my area:

1. Bitch and moan on every available forum until someone listens.
    2. Meet up and play
    3. Collect email addresses and start communicating with people
    4. Set up a Facebook page if there isn't a good local forum to use
    5. Find a local store that's ok with setting up some sanctioned events, make the entry fee something accessible
    6. Keep pestering standard players
    7. Loan cards/decks, encourage others to do the same

I've been lucky in a couple areas. First, there was an SCG Open here, so a handful of people with Legacy decks came out to do some testing beforehand. Then, at the event I talked to a lot more people, got email addresses, etc. Of course, this is all still ongoing, so it might prove to be a total failure. If nothing else though, I've got a good regular play group and some new pals.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

This is actually cool you brought this topic up, I was just thinking of writing down some notes for an article about it. I'll share some thoughts with you.

1. Only talk about cards in relation to how they impact Legacy - This is what I did for years and it worked pretty well. Any time someone talks about rotation "It's still good/playable in Legacy" "I wonder if I can make that work in Legacy" "Now they'll be cheap to pick up for Legacy/Legacy players should want those now."

2. If you can, build several decks or proxy them, try to go for decks that aren't Imperial Painter or Aluren, decks that are conceivable to build U/R Painter only needs Forces, Grindstones and really only a single Volcanic Island. Goblins is still quite good, something really fun like Food Chain or Cherios, 'unfair' decks like Dredge, Storm, a stax deck. Something that can appeal to every psychotype. Johnny, Spike, Timmy and Dave (The person that just likes to make everyone else agonize)

3. Keep asking people if they want to play Legacy, prices have come down after the GP and there are a ton of people playing, just see if you can get them to proxy decks at first, the more they play it the more they'll want to play it for real.

4. Talk with a store about if it's possible to organize a small, casual event - this works better than a high top-end event for most people, this will get some advertising out there and if people think there is a reason to play, they'll get their feet in the water.

Those are some quick suggestions, a lot of which I've tried and this area is great for Legacy - I'd like to think partially due to that.

Also it helps if you're very charismatic and everyone wants to do what you do.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Once they have invested the $$ into MTG, it's easy to get them to want to play their expensive cards.

Don't. Cards are too expensive as it is.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Keep them away from combo if your meta has 0 Force of Wills.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Thread Information