Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] A Month of Missteps

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

[Article] A Month of Missteps

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/a-month-of-missteps/

Bam! There it is. With all kinds of charts, some of them are confusing, but most of them are straight forward. I've got all kinds of data, spreadsheets, some deck lists, and two rabbits coming from a single, wide-brimmed hat.

This is the follow-up to my article on Mental Misstep, it's a bit dry, but any mostly-objective look at a huge data set is going to be. I hope you're able to gain something from it.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Re: [Article] A Month of Missteps

Interesting analysis. Thanks for all that hard work. I personally feel like the format hasn't reacted to mental misstep at all yet, things are going to change, 1 month is not long enough. I think the true reaction on MM can be seen at the next GP.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

A few things:

1) Awesome article.

2) Speaking of the pie chart: I was surprised that with both Ichorid AND ANT taking a hit, you didn't report Combo taking any losses. I assume that's because you included Painter into Combo, but it's really more combo/control. The chart belies the fact that pure combo took a big hit and the metagame shifted a lot more than just some control starting cropping up over aggro/control. Still, I think that chart was one of the best parts of the article -- it showed there is currently a much more diverse metagame.

3) I think everyone would agree with me that the metagame is still adjusting quite a bit. Are you planning to do a repeat article in the next few months that includes only the most recent month or two of data?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I think Mental Misstep has kind of stepped in as the new deputy card for Legacy, policing the gunfights at high noon, while Sheriff Force of Will gets to take a little more time off, spend some more days at the saloon, and reminisce of the days when Legacy was simpler and wasn't described by unnecessary wild west metaphors.

The point I'm trying to make is that Mental Misstep flooding the world isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's everywhere because it's what keeps everything in check, including itself.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

bruizar

Mental Misstep is the best thing that could have happened to Magic in a very long time. Finally, eternal formats can dive into the cardpool and look for cards that are 4 / 5 mana instead of curving out at 3 with the lone exception of Jace.

Mental Misstep didn't give us another Force of Will. It gave us a gigantic increase in cardpool.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    A few things

2) Speaking of the pie chart: I was surprised that with both Ichorid AND ANT taking a hit, you didn't report Combo taking any losses. I assume that's because you included Painter into Combo, but it's really more combo/control. The chart belies the fact that pure combo took a big hit and the metagame shifted a lot more than just some control starting cropping up over aggro/control. Still, I think that chart was one of the best parts of the article -- it showed there is currently a much more diverse metagame.

3) I think everyone would agree with me that the metagame is still adjusting quite a bit. Are you planning to do a repeat article in the next few months that includes only the most recent month or two of data?
    I do plan on doing a follow up in about 3 months, ideally I would have done one 3-4 months before MMS came out, but that wasn't really something I knew I needed to do.

I did include U/R Painter as a strict combo deck, I don't feel it's combo-control the way that NO RUG is (which I counted under Aggro-Control anyway.) Other combo decks did take a dive, but you can actually see the relative changes in Ritual effects (which counts Storm and Belcher pretty well) and look at the spreadsheet for a the change in Dredge's performance to get a feel for where we're at. There are a few more represented (much larger card pool) than there were before but that doesn't account for much. The spreadsheets are available so you can draw your own conclusions if you have the time. I, for one, had far too much time.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Mental Misstep is the best thing that could have happened to Magic in a very long time. Finally, eternal formats can dive into the cardpool and look for cards that are 4 / 5 mana instead of curving out at 3 with the lone exception of Jace.

Mental Misstep didn't give us another Force of Will. It gave us a gigantic increase in cardpool.
    Did you read the article, dude?

One of the most interesting conclusions is that Mental Misstep hardly changed the average curve at all. The only shifts are slightly more 1-drops (probably people running MM) and then 5 drop increase (but this is mainly from Batterskull).

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Other combo decks did take a dive, but you can actually see the relative changes in Ritual effects (which counts Storm and Belcher pretty well) and look at the spreadsheet for a the change in Dredge's performance to get a feel for where we're at. There are a few more represented (much larger card pool) than there were before but that doesn't account for much. The spreadsheets are available so you can draw your own conclusions if you have the time. I, for one, had far too much time.
    I see the purpose of a graph as presenting accurate information succinctly. My criticism wasn't that the information in the article was inaccurate, nor was it that I couldn't find accurate data elsewhere. The criticism was simply this: The graph was intended to show MM's effect on the overall archetype distribution, but you don't really mention deck categorization. You also draw a conclusion from the graph alone (that control was the only real beneficiary and aggro-control was the only victim), but with higher resolution archetypes (like if combo-control had been a category, it would have seen a massive growth at the expense of straight combo) the graph would be much more telling and interesting.

I did include U/R Painter as a strict combo deck, I don't feel it's combo-control the way that NO RUG is (which I counted under Aggro-Control anyway.)
    Ok, I understand better.

"Combo" is an extraordinarily loose category, and after some reflection I don't think anyone would agree on a categorization.

Here's my extremely arbitrary list of card "combos" in order of increasing combo character. The criterion I use is the likelihood of me saying, "My opponent went off" to describe a loss. I wonder how other people would rank them.

Stoneforge Mystic/Batterskull
    Countertop
    Stiflenought
    Natural Order/Progenitus

Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry

Painter's Grind
    Helm/Leyline

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Wow really good article. There's a lot of interesting and relevant information one can draw from it.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Ok, I understand better.

"Combo" is an extraordinarily loose category, and after some reflection I don't think anyone would agree on a categorization.
    I had considered breaking things down into every represented archetype, but that was going to require another couple of hours more than I had already put into it and would make a graph representing it even more confusing. In hindsight I could have down a breakdown in pie chard form for every deck like I did for the day 2 metagame at the Grand Prix, but that data would be incredibly cluttered and only really help to show the major archetypes, which really wasn't the aim major for this article. I think the way I went about it was among the best ways it could have been without being bogged down in complexity.

The combo of 9 spells + Tendrils really isn't a combo, but I wanted the heading to refer to any 2/3 card combo that resulted in an immediate loss, or totally non-interactive decks, with some exceptions. While a Natural Order will generally end the game, I don't think it's an example of a combo unless that's all the deck is designed to do, like Natural Order Show and Tell. There are some things that are combos and they are in decks and may even win games, but they are not centric around abusing that combo for an immediate or incredibly quick win.
    Team Bad Guys

Gathering Magic is continuing to impress with quality articles. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

bruizar

The analysis doesn't reveal shocking news. I recon the rise in 1 drops is due to the fact that everyone added Mental Missteps. The only cards to cut in that place are 1 or 2 drops, because the 3 and 4 drops are too good to cut (you need bombs to win the game). This month of mental misstep doesn't show any meta-game adaption at all yet.

I'm curious how many / which tournaments you included in your analysis.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

I'm curious how many / which tournaments you included in your analysis.
    Well, I did 28 events since MMS was legal, each with 33 or more players. So basically, any event you can find publicly listed as of the previous weekend had a great chance of being in this article.

Three drops actually saw the biggest drop of any of the costs, if I am remembering correctly.
    Team Bad Guys

lol, stoneforge mystic/batterskull is a game winning combo?

Might as well put assault/loam in there.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Here's my extremely arbitrary list of card "combos" in order of increasing combo character. The criterion I use is the likelihood of me saying, "My opponent went off" to describe a loss. I wonder how other people would rank them.

Stoneforge Mystic/Batterskull
    Countertop
    Stiflenought
    Natural Order/Progenitus

Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry

Painter's Grind
    Helm/Leyline
    I would only describe actualy same-turn kill-cons as "combo". Everything else would be a synergy. That would categorize SFM/eqiups, Stifle/Nought, CB/top, and possibly NO/Pro. The latter is probably a 1-card "combo" but from my experience, still take 2-3 turns to kill. The synergy category would also cover Loam/Seismic interaction, and Thopter/Sword, but not Hexmage/Depths (because it can kill in one shot).

I do agree that anything classified as "combo" should have the opponent remark that you "went off".
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

bruizar

The only combo decks are decks that utilize

1) Show and Tell
    2) Lion's Eye Diamond

with the exception that I count (ledless)Dredge as a combo deck too.

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

The only combo decks are decks that utilize

1) Show and Tell
    2) Lion's Eye Diamond

with the exception that I count (ledless)Dredge as a combo deck too.
    What about High Tide?
    Enchantress?
    Random Aluren, or maybe Protean Hulk?

Also, does everyone agree on counting Dredge as a combo deck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This article isn't free! ITS TAXING MY BRAIN CELLS!
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Depending on the build, I almost always classify it as Aggro/Combo. Some versions are more Combo oriented (like Four Horsemen), but almost all the standard Dredge builds rely on combat to win.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by 3eowulf View Post
    What about High Tide?
    Enchantress?
    Random Aluren, or maybe Protean Hulk?

Also, does everyone agree on counting Dredge as a combo deck?
    All of the above can be considered combo. Reanimator and Elves are also combo decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Gathering Magic is continuing to impress with quality articles. Keep up the good work.
    This. Awesome article, Christopher. I wonder what combo has to do to regain some of its share of the pie.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I'm guessing combos that let me play just as much if not more permission/protection spells than my opponent.

peace,
    4eak

Thread Information