Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Article] A Month of Missteps

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Re: [Article] A Month of Missteps

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    I think Mental Misstep has kind of stepped in as the new deputy card for Legacy, policing the gunfights at high noon, while Sheriff Force of Will gets to take a little more time off, spend some more days at the saloon, and reminisce of the days when Legacy was simpler and wasn't described by unnecessary wild west metaphors.

The point I'm trying to make is that Mental Misstep flooding the world isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's everywhere because it's what keeps everything in check, including itself.
    Thanks for the sig. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    I think Mental Misstep has kind of stepped in as the new deputy card for Legacy, policing the gunfights at high noon, while Sheriff Force of Will gets to take a little more time off, spend some more days at the saloon, and reminisce of the days when Legacy was simpler and wasn't described by unnecessary wild west metaphors.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Depending on the build, I almost always classify it as Aggro/Combo. Some versions are more Combo oriented (like Four Horsemen), but almost all the standard Dredge builds rely on combat to win.
    4 Horsemen isn't Dredge.... You can look at every card in Ben's list, I promise none have Dredge on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Person of interest
    Aug 2006
    Woodland, CA

"I think that the biggest surprise to me was that Merfolk has no larger of a slice of the metagame pie than it did before Misstep, although it is clearly now the dominant deck in the format."

This seems contradictory. Please explain.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

Merfolk had the highest number of placings with 23, making up roughly 10% of the entire field of Top 8s. This is significant not only because it confirms Merfolk as the most successful deck in the format, but because 10% is nearly exactly where Merfolk stood the last time we checked in on the format—10% both before and after a pivotal card for the deck. The conclusion that I draw from this is that the printing of Mental Misstep has actually improved Merfolk’s place in the metagame by 0%.
    tl;dr - merfolk is 10% of t8s before and after printing of misstep, a change of 0% in terms of metagame change, but still numero uno

Person of interest
    Aug 2006
    Woodland, CA

My point is that 10% of top 8's, and a roughly comparable representation in the general metagame certainly doesn't represent something that is "clearly now the dominant deck in the format". A major player to be sure, but it's not like Standard Caw Blade or something.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    My point is that 10% of top 8's, and a roughly comparable representation in the general metagame certainly doesn't represent something that is "clearly now the dominant deck in the format". A major player to be sure, but it's not like Standard Caw Blade or something.
    You're right, it's not overwhelmingly the best deck in the format, it's just that it has the best match-ups and is the most successful. If one deck were to be dominant over all others, it would be Merfolk. That is what I was saying.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Thread Information