Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mimeoplasm - Competitive yet subtly so

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

The Mimeoplasm - Competitive yet subtly so

I want to make an EDH deck for a FFA tournament so it has to not be immediately obvious that I'm a threat. I don't have most of my collection of cards so bought a recently released Commander deck with Mimeoplasm. I brought 1 legacy deck here so have some of the expensive cards I'd want, but not all of them.

Main things:

1. I want to use The Mimeoplasm as my commander
    2. I want to be able to win multiple FFA games in one night without being "the bad guy" who uses storm combo or anything else intimidating.
    3. I want the best Mimeoplasm 1 hit kill possible.

Here's my deck so far. I don't have the duals and fetches I want but hope to get them mailed here so I don't have to drop a ton of money on them.

Commander:
    The Mimeoplasm

Lands:

8 Forest
    7 Swamp
    6 Island
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Lonely Sandbar
    1 City of Brass
    1 Jwar Isle Refuge
    1 Command Tower
    1 Wasteland
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Twilight Mire
    1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

Creatures:

1 Fauna Shaman
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Mulldrifter
    1 Yavimaya Elder
    1 Oracle of Mul Daya
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Coiling Oracle
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Acidic Slime
    1 Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Duplicant
    1 Putrefax
    1 Consecrated Sphinx
    1 Stormtide Leviathan
    1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    1 Lord of Extinction
    1 Simic Sky Swallower
    1 Triskelion
    1 Kederekt Leviathan
    1 Magus of the Bazaar
    1 Palinchron

Other things:

1 Darksteel Ingot
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Lightning Greaves

1 Shred Memory
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Frantic Search
    1 Nostalgic Dreams
    1 Memory Jar
    1 Phyrexian Arena
    1 Intuition
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Buried Alive
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Lim-Dul's Vault
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Tooth and Nail
    1 Attunement
    1 Survival of the Fittest

1 Krosan Grip
    1 Beast Within
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Oblivion Stone
    1 Life's Finale
    1 Chainer's Edict
    1 Putrefy
    1 Proteus Staff

1 Beacon of Unrest
    1 Praetor's Grasp
    1 Profane Command

1 Dismiss
    1 Spell Crumple
    1 Mana Drain
    1 Pact of Negation

The main combos right now with Mimeoplasm:

Putrefax + Lord of Extinction = Instant poison counter death
    Necrotic Ooze + creature + trisk and devourer in graveyard = instant win

Also theres:
    Tooth and Nail -> Palinchron + Witness -> Tooth and Nail -> Vorinclex + Metamorph Palinchron for infinite mana -> Metamorph Witness -> Tooth and Nail -> Oona instant win
    (Thanks to Aardvark for that one)
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 07-16-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: The Mimeoplasm - Competitive yet subtly so

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post

Triskelion + Lord of Extinction = Lots of damage from +1/+1 counters (possibly instant Commander damage death)
    It has to be combat damage
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Here are a few synergy ideas, not sure whether or not you want to use them:
    etched oracle
    fertilid
    festercreep
    sage of fables
    spike weaver
    triskelavus

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Well, here is my current list, and I am taking it to a multiplayer event tomorrow.

GENERAL: The Mimeoplasm

CREATURES:
    Cairn Wanderer
    Coffin Queen
    Necrotic Ooze
    Skithyrix, the Blight Dragon
    Thought Gorger
    Body Double
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    Magus of the Bazaar
    Palinchron
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Wonder
    Brawn
    Eternal Witness
    Fauna Shaman
    Indrik Stomphowler
    Loaming Shaman
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Primeval Titan
    Riftsweeper
    Sakura-Tribe Elder
    Terastodon
    Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
    Yavimaya Elder
    Lich Lord of Unx
    Lord of Extinction
    Psychatog
    Artisan of Kozilek
    Duplicant
    Solemn Simulacrum

SPELLS:
    Beacon of Unrest
    Buried Alive
    Damnation
    Demonic Tutor
    Entomb
    Life's Finale
    Vampiric Tutor
    Victimize
    Careful Consideration
    Fact or Fiction
    Intuition
    Read the Runes
    Cultivate
    Farseek
    Gaea's Blessing
    Kodama's Reach
    Life from the Loam
    Nostalgic Dreams
    Regrowth
    Tooth & Nail
    Worldly Tutor

ENCHANTMENTS:
    Attunement
    Defense of the Heart
    Greater Good
    Survival of the Fittest
    Pernicious Deed

ARTIFACTS:
    Altar of Dementia
    Lightning Greaves
    Scroll Rack
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Sol Ring

LAND:
    Bad River
    Bayou
    Bloodstained Mire
    Breeding Pool
    Command Tower
    Drowned Catacomb
    Flooded Grove
    Flooded Strand
    High Market
    Misty Rainforest
    Overgrown Tomb
    Phyrexian Tower
    Polluted Delta
    Reflecting Pool
    Reliquary Tower
    Sunken Ruins
    Tropical Island
    Twilight Mire
    Underground Sea
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Verdant Catacombs
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Watery Grave
    Windswept Heath
    Wooded Foothills
    5x Forest
    4x Swamp
    3x Island

I didn't want to go the Dredge route for various reasons, and I have been tweaking the list to make it a bit more flexible. Two cards I know will be questioned are Riftsweeper and Gaea's Blessing. Riftsweeper is there so you can get something back that you have used with The Mimeoplasm or otherwise got RFG by an opponent or something. It's been solid, if not spectacular; it was better in an earlier build that contained Crystal Shard. Gaea's Blessing gives you outs to mass graveyard hate, which is common in my meta. You can Entomb (or Intuition, I guess, if you think the opponent will "fall" for it) for it, or have some form of instant speed card draw and dredge it off with Loam and such. It's been alternately spectacular and mediocre, but I expect tomorrow will be the real test. It was just a thought I had to try to mitigate nonsense like Crypt, Bazaar of Wonders (yes, really), Relic, etc.

Due to the lack of multiple combat step effects in these colors, you can't General Damage kill more than one person at a time, but doing it the first time is pretty easy early on, especially with Buried Alive: fetch up Skithyrix, Artisan (or Lord of Extinction if it will be larger by then), and Brawn, choose Skith and Artisan (or Lord) with The Mimeoplasm, and you'll trample through for enough poison more often than not. Some people use Putrefax, but I don't really care for it personally.

Oh, one more thing to note is that there is a table-killing combo through one card: Tooth & Nail. First, pull up Palinchron + Witness to get back Tooth, then Vorinclex + Metamorph (copying Palinchron), bounce/recast Palinchron a billion times, then return Metamorph and recast it and make it a Witness, getting Tooth back again and fetching up Lich Lord of Unx to mill everyone out. There are other things you can use instead of the Lich Lord, but I picked him because his second ability can be situationally useful, given your General.

Anyway, just some ideas. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    It has to be combat damage
    Darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Here are a few synergy ideas, not sure whether or not you want to use them:
    etched oracle
    fertilid
    festercreep
    sage of fables
    spike weaver
    triskelavus
    No, I'm really not looking to blow Mimeoplasm on removing things to possibly give me a basic land card tapped when I could cast him to win the game. I really just want to know if there are any better super powered creature combos that would win instantly.

EDIT:
    Thanks for the deck list Aardvark, I've updated my current list with a few of your good card choices I forgot. I'm going to try to pick up that combo you speak of if I can, it looks like a fun combo and it is important to have a game winner like that.

I'm not a big fan of Gaea's Blessing on paper, but I hate being so graveyard dependent for all of my combo things. How do you plan on getting around grave hate if you don't get a Gaea's Blessing?
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 06-26-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

I'm not a big fan of Gaea's Blessing on paper, but I hate being so graveyard dependent for all of my combo things. How do you plan on getting around grave hate if you don't get a Gaea's Blessing?
    Well, that is another reason I included Riftsweeper, although it isn't always a huge boon in that department. Perhaps more instant speed reanimation to bring Loaming Shaman into play in response or something. I didn't want all that much reanimation aside from The Mimeoplasm, but I can definitely see adding Makeshift Mannequin and Corpse Dance, although Corpse Dance doesn't always work out the way you want it.

As a side note, Attunement is insane. So good. I tried Breakthrough, but it didn't work out the way I want to, since I am not full up on Dredge cards and such. However, Attunement is terrific.
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.

King of the Cowfish
    Feb 2008
    U.S.

I would consider a completely different strategy: go control/combo. Here is my list which is pretty competitive (not Oona/Arcum/Sharuum super holy crap competitive, but a little below).

http://essentialmagic.com//Decks/View.asp?ID=874370

Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Well, I won the event today, winning both tables, although it was pretty rough in the first one (recurring board sweeps, someone else playing The Mimeoplasm, etc.). I have definitely reversed my thoughts on Putrefax, as I totally forgot he had haste, which is something the deck needs very much since it's much easier to Tutor for than Greaves.

I also want a graveyard hate slot, which will be either Shred Memory (instant speed, tutors for other stuff) or Scavenging Ooze (instant speed, easily tutorable, gains life, which is sometimes helpful); most likely the Ooze because it is easier to find.

Riftsweeper and Blessing were both excellent today in the first game; the second game was much shorter and I never had reason/opportunity to use either. I am happy with those slots as they stand now.

The slots I am not too thrilled with are Pernicious Deed and Careful Consideration; Deed was never needed due to Damnation/Life's Finale and things like Stomphowler/Terastodon, and Careful Consideration was just mediocre all day. So, those will likely get the axe for Scavenging Ooze and Putrefax, at least for now.

Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Ditto.
    Last edited by TheAardvark; 07-09-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Double post.

Some card ideas:

Inkwell Leviathan - Simic Sky Swallower #2
    Death's Shadow & Phyrexian Dreadnought - nice T1 "plays"
    Hunted Horror - T2 "hug" in multiplayer
    Scion of Darkness & Krosan Tusker - Cycling big meat
    Hermit Druid & Tainted Pact - Only if you cut away basics

Nov 2010
    easton

So I've had alot of success with skitherix and a fatty in a yard one shot kill and regeneration. Also late game all suns dawn has been fantastic gets back tutors and other things that are great tooth and nail should also be in the list, preators grasp is the nut high as it can grab a bomb from them and most of the time you will be in one of there colors or just to grab some artifact ramp, bribery and aquire are also great cards. If you have low enough casting things in your deck try triskelion phryexian devourer combo with necrotic ooze instant kill works great

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

So what is the general consensus on poison creature, should we use Skithiryx , Putrefax, or both together? Putrefax has haste already meaning cheaper to play and get one insta-kill with, but Skithiryx has haste possibilities and has staying power.

Having giant stealable creatures on the field (who one shot you) isn't always the best thing since people like stealing things in EDH, but does anyone have any strong opinions on this?

So what is the general consensus on poison creature, should we use Skithiryx , Putrefax, or both together? Putrefax has haste already meaning cheaper to play and get one insta-kill with, but Skithiryx has haste possibilities and has staying power.

Having giant stealable creatures on the field (who one shot you) isn't always the best thing since people like stealing things in EDH, but does anyone have any strong opinions on this?
    If you're going for the poison kill definitely play both. And include that new hexproof-Greaves too. You're playing a TON of chaff though. If you're looking for competitive-ness cut:
    -Refuges (CIPT sucks)
    -Terramorphic (CIPT sucks)
    -Yavimaya Elder (Reach or Cultivate are both WAY better than this guy)
    -Shadomage Infiltrator (awful awful awful. Play a Thieving Magpie before you play him, but don't do that even)
    -Graverobber (I know it's dope, but you can only reasonably flip him early game, when there isn't anything good to reanimate. And late game you'll never have enough mana to pull it out)
    -Dark Hatchling (6 mana? In a competitive deck? For a terror?)
    -Ideas Unbound (there are far more efficient ways to dump cards that don't promote card disadvantage. The ONLY time this is good is in top deck mode)
    -Relic (you want to control what is in graveyards, not burn all of them. Definitely switch to Phyrexian Furnace or Scrabbling Claws or Crypt if you're really afraid)

I'm too lazy to go through the rest of the list. You need WAY more that one counterspell if you want to call your deck competitive. Even if it's just Manadrain/Force/Counterspell/Hinder/Desertion/Dissipate/Faerie Trickery.

I'll look over my roomie's list. I think the poison kill is good (don't cut it). And don't worry about Threaten or whatever; if you play even a little permission (or land a greaves/new greaves) you'll just kill the guy with steal effects.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

The only thing I disagree with you on is Elder. Getting enough creatures in the graveyard for Mimeoplasm tends to actually be a problem, and sometimes I have to cast him just for utility creatures like Shriekmaw.

I'll try to post a less clunky list when I have access to my actual collection in a month.

Nov 2010
    easton

For grave control shred memory is the best can remove key cards or transmutefor a demonic tutor or survival. Also some fun things with mimeoplasm is lord of extinction with a triskelion late game one shot kill or etched oracle remove counters draw lots of cards. And elder is good a a chump blocker and draws cards

Nov 2010
    easton

So what would be the beat artifact ramp for this deck

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Updated primer with better main deck, still need to get all the duals/fetches in here but the main body of the deck is looking better. Incorporating both Tooth and Nail combo and Necrotic Ooze combo.

Quote Originally Posted by militiaman89 View Post
    So what would be the beat artifact ramp for this deck
    I prefer just Sol Ring and Darksteel Ingot since DI can't die and Sol Ring is just damn powerful.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

I can't see why there's no GSZ to act like the 3rd Survival, and the same goes to Hermit Druid being so awesome...

I would like to see more painlands in your list, and please, PLEASE, run one Shizo in your maindeck.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I can't see why there's no GSZ to act like the 3rd Survival, and the same goes to Hermit Druid being so awesome...

I would like to see more painlands in your list, and please, PLEASE, run one Shizo in your maindeck.
    GSZ to grab what, exactly? I didn't include it on purpose because it really doesn't seem to be worth it's slot, it could grab a decent array of utility, but doesn't really seem to make much of a difference on the game state.

Hermit Druid also just doesn't seem that necessary. It would go in the slot of some similar card like Buried Alive which doesn't need to get lucky to hit the things I want. Less than 10% of the time would it hit something that I wanted it to, and it also makes grave hate better against me by just throwing random extra cards in there.

If you suggest a card please suggest a card to replace as well.

Shizo is a good idea, I will add it.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

GSZ to grab what, exactly? I didn't include it on purpose because it really doesn't seem to be worth it's slot, it could grab a decent array of utility, but doesn't really seem to make much of a difference on the game state.

Hermit Druid also just doesn't seem that necessary. It would go in the slot of some similar card like Buried Alive which doesn't need to get lucky to hit the things I want. Less than 10% of the time would it hit something that I wanted it to, and it also makes grave hate better against me by just throwing random extra cards in there.

If you suggest a card please suggest a card to replace as well.

Shizo is a good idea, I will add it.
    GSZ can grab Fauna Shaman, Hermit Druid, possibly Dryad Arbor, Eternal Witness, Acidic Slime/Indrik Stompholer (In my list) and maybe a lategame bomb like Vorinclex or Lord of Extinction. Seems solid to me, and I would run it in the Dismiss place (Well, because that card sux)

The cheating part of Hermit Druid is: Run few basic lands. Seems obvious, but you will mill like 30 cards and still get a land for ramping the Mimeoplasm. I would cut maybe Memory Jar or Frantic Search to it.

Thread Information