Page 181 of 191 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 3805

Thread: [DTB] Blade Control

Re: [Deck] Blade Control

UW Blade was already a thing a couple years ago and was discussed at length on this thread. There's no real set list for blade control, and almost no discussion for this thread; I'm sure it's fine to remain here with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

On that note, I hope this is the right thread for this then.

EDIT: I've just realised I cut Stoneforges, so this is likely the wrong thread!

As some others have said, Spellstutter seems to be quite an underplayed card. I've been tinkering around with this, seems pretty strong in games played so far. My friend is playing it at our LGS tonight and I'll report back how it goes if anyone is interested.

4 Spellstutter Sprite
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare

2 Ponder
    1 Supreme Verdict

1 Moat
    4 Standstill

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Crucible of Worlds

3 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 Mutavault
    1 Riptide Laboratory
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Tundra
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas

SB:
    4 Meddling Mage
    1 Moat
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Disenchant
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Null Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    On that note, I hope this is the right thread for this then.

EDIT: I've just realised I cut Stoneforges, so this is likely the wrong thread!
    Looks like Landstill to me: UW/X Landstill thread is here.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Looks like Landstill to me: UW/X Landstill thread is here.
    Indeed, thanks!
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

So the Japanese are running Tasigurs. Are they not worried about Karakas? Or does Tasigur serve a different purpose in Stoneblade than in a deck like Grixis Delver (where Angler is run instead)?
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

So the Japanese are running Tasigurs. Are they not worried about Karakas? Or does Tasigur serve a different purpose in Stoneblade than in a deck like Grixis Delver (where Angler is run instead)?
    They definitely made a calculated decision to run Tasigur/Lingering Souls instead of TNN. I have to assume D&T isn't popular in the meta over there, as Tasigur is an unreliable threat against the 3x Karakas deck. Not to mention that TNN is one of our best threats against D&T, so omitting it gives up a lot of points in the matchup.

However, I think this threat base is better than TNN in some matchups, such as against Miracles. Souls is evasive and resilient against Terminus and Tasigur is decent against Counterbalance and generates CA. Neither get Blasted.

The ability of Tasigur to generate CA is the main benefit of playing it over Angler in this deck, which can outweigh the cost of being legendary. I'm still only playing 1 Tasigur for now, not only due to the possibility of facing Karakas (high in my area), but due to the diminishing returns of Delve, particularly alongside Snapcasters and Souls.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

My guess is that the assumptions are that Tasigur is harder to hit with Counterbalance than TNN, plays well with Lingering Souls and Snapcaster Mage, and Blade decks need a source of card advantage hang with Miracles and Shardless as late game fair blue decks. The plan against D&T actually looks like it's to board Tasigur out (- 1/2 Tasigur, -1 Pierce, -3/4 Force, +1 Pithing Needle, +1 Supreme Verdict, +1 Clique, +1 Go for the Throat, +1 Diaenchant, +1 Crucible), though it's possible that Kuroda Masashiro just planned on using Crucible/Wasteland to handle all utility lands. I'd expect there to be more Wastelands if that were the plan, but I clearly don't understand thr Japanese meta enough to even know if that makes sense.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    The ability of Tasigur to generate CA is the main benefit of playing it over Angler in this deck, which can outweigh the cost of being legendary. I'm still only playing 1 Tasigur for now, not only due to the possibility of facing Karakas (high in my area), but due to the diminishing returns of Delve, particularly alongside Snapcasters and Souls.
    What's your creature suite look like? I was thinking of using something like:

3x SCM
    4x SFM
    1x TNN
    1x Tasigur

I really want to play 2 TNN but having 10 creatures in a control deck is not ideal. I could cut 1 SCM but that just feels bad. Could I have the 2nd TNN in the SB or is that wasting a slot?

This is the MD list I want to work with, SB TBD:

23 LANDS
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Wasteland

9 CREATURES
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

23 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Ponder
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize

5 OTHER SPELLS
    1 Batterskull
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    with the following changes:

-1 Thoughtseize
    -1 Tasigur

+1 IoK
    +1 TNN
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

What's your creature suite look like? I was thinking of using something like:

3x SCM
    4x SFM
    1x TNN
    1x Tasigur

I really want to play 2 TNN but having 10 creatures in a control deck is not ideal. I could cut 1 SCM but that just feels bad. Could I have the 2nd TNN in the SB or is that wasting a slot?

This is the MD list I want to work with, SB TBD:

with the following changes:

-1 Thoughtseize
    -1 Tasigur

+1 IoK
    +1 TNN
    My current MD creature configuration:

4x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    1x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (Probably should be 3rd SCM, but I like it so far)
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

While an unusual choice these days (don't think I've seen it since UWR Delverblade was huge), I don't think TNN is necessarily a wasted sideboard slot as a 1-2 of. Its a very polarized card, being Trained Armadon in some matchups and the linchpin of your strategy in others.

Hey guys, I'm currently working on making 4c Deathblade, but since Underground Seas cost an arm and a leg, I figured I would make UW Stoneblade while I save for Seas, and to get used to Brianstorm/Daze/etc. formerly have played Merfolk, D&T, and Maverick. Here's my list, any critiques, suggestions, or words of advice are appreciated.

22 Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Tundra
    1 Karakas
    6 Islands
    4 Plains

10 Creatures
    3 Snapcasters Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique

22 Instants and Sorceries
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Counterspell
    3 Force of Will
    3 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Swords to Plowshares

6 Other Spells
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Surgical Extractions
    1 Rest In Peace
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    1 Disenchant
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Back to Basics

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    Hey guys, I'm currently working on making 4c Deathblade, but since Underground Seas cost an arm and a leg, I figured I would make UW Stoneblade while I save for Seas, and to get used to Brianstorm/Daze/etc. formerly have played Merfolk, D&T, and Maverick. Here's my list, any critiques, suggestions, or words of advice are appreciated.

22 Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Tundra
    1 Karakas
    6 Islands
    4 Plains

10 Creatures
    3 Snapcasters Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique

22 Instants and Sorceries
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Counterspell
    3 Force of Will
    3 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Swords to Plowshares

6 Other Spells
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Surgical Extractions
    1 Rest In Peace
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    1 Disenchant
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Back to Basics

I am currently playing a similar list but I have added red to help vs miracles. My mana looks like

23 Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Tundra
    6 Islands
    3 Plains
    1 Mountain
    1 Volcanic Island

I started with Karakas in my list but found I really was not a fan of it as much in my current meta. I played vs a lot of wasteland decks and wanted another basic plains.

My Creature suite is close as well

Creatures (11)
    2 Snapcasters Mage - I have found that this card is not as great in this deck as he is in say miracles and sometimes find him to be a bit clunky here.
    4 Stoneforge Mystic - I have to play 4 as I am playing the sofi main and manriki in the SB
    3 True-Name Nemesis - this guy is just nuts and sometimes I want x4
    2 Vendilion Clique - this spot has been a few different cards. I have tried Venser when I had the karakas but have cut it for the disruption of clique.

My spells look like

Spells (23)

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Ponder
    2 Back to Basics

Planeswalkers (3)
    3 Jace, the mind sculptor

I am a bit pressed for time atm but my SB is similar with the exception that I play 2 pyroblast in the SB and a Wear/Tear

I do have 0 red cards main atm and have thought of adding lightning bolts again to make my snaps better/offer more removal for Delver based decks.

Here is my old list from last year that I have had some success with having the bolts main.

8th Place at StarCityGames.com Premier IQ on 11/1/2015
    Creatures (11)

2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Vendilion Clique
    Planeswalkers (3)

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Lands (23)

3 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Plains
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Mishra's Factory
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Karakas
    Spells (23)

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Ponder
    Sideboard

1 Pithing Needle
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Wear
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Supreme Verdict

As you can see I have also moved away from more nonbasics in favor of Back to Basics main. B2B has been great vs Eldrazi, DNT, Lands and I really like having more basic lands. Cutting factory has kind of sucked as sometimes you just need a guy to apply pressure but I feel the B2b is better atm.

I will most likely be playing this in Louisville this January instead of the usual Miracles deck I play.

Looks good! I'd splash red if I could.

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post

List

Maindeck looks solid but I think the 4th Force of Will and 4th Stoneforge Mystic MD (along with a Sword in the sideboard) are very important, so I would look to make cuts for those.

I also should point out UW Stoneblade actually has a surprisingly bad manabase unless you're playing a ton of Tundras, as there are lots of UU and WW costs to juggle. I played it with only 2 Tundras and ran into plenty of awkward situations. You just have to be mindful of this when sequencing your land drops (for example, once your Tundra is in play you can't access Blue mana with a White fetchland). I'd even consider playing cards like Mana Leak and Detention Sphere instead of Counterspell and Council's Judgment to ease these troubles.

Also, it hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but Esperblade made top 16 GP Chiba. Same style as the other recent Japanese lists.

have you seen that new card named fatal push?one black mana instant, destroy creature cost 2 or less,if a permanent u controlled left the battlefield this turn,destroy that creature cost 4 or less instead. Esper version has a new weapon against goyf and can also kill eldrazi's TKS with fetchlands, very insane

Quote Originally Posted by chark9999 View Post
    have you seen that new card named fatal push?one black mana instant, destroy creature cost 2 or less,if a permanent u controlled left the battlefield this turn,destroy that creature cost 4 or less instead. Esper version has a new weapon against goyf and can also kill eldrazi's TKS with fetchlands, very insane
    I think the card has sideboard potential. I am not too sure if it can be played main deck. Swords to Plowshares is almost always strictly better. They both still get hosed by Chalice of the Void.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I'm very surprised that this archetype has fallen off as hard as it has in the recent year. While shardless is still a pretty bad matchup, I think that the other BUG decks should be pretty favorable. Has anyone had success in the recent months with this archetype? I'm a big sucker for blade decks and am thinking about running something like this, what are your thoughts? I would like to run a Chandra somewhere in the 75 but i'm not sure if I really need her in the main.

1 Vendilion Clique
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Council's Judgment
    4 Ponder

1 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

1 Karakas
    1 Plateau
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Plains
    2 Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I'm very surprised that this archetype has fallen off as hard as it has in the recent year. While shardless is still a pretty bad matchup, I think that the other BUG decks should be pretty favorable. Has anyone had success in the recent months with this archetype? I'm a big sucker for blade decks and am thinking about running something like this, what are your thoughts? I would like to run a Chandra somewhere in the 75 but i'm not sure if I really need her in the main.

1 Vendilion Clique
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Council's Judgment
    4 Ponder

1 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

1 Karakas
    1 Plateau
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Plains
    2 Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    main issue is not shardless but miracles, which is just an incredible lopsided matchup in cb+top's favour :)

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    main issue is not shardless but miracles, which is just an incredible lopsided matchup in cb+top's favour :)
    Haha that sounds like the problem with 80% of the decks in the format right now. Lands is pretty unfavorable aswell, pretty much any engine that is 2+ for 1ing you is going to be problematic. It just comes down to having a plan for these matchups and hoping that your plan is good enough.

So i started running saheen's list and i wanted to see how successful people were finding supreme verdict on the main? Also evey time i've played b2b its been amazing and i really don't get why everyone isn't running this thing

Creatures
    4x Snapcaster Mage
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x True-name nemesis
    1x Vendilon Clique

Instants
    4x Swords to plowshares
    4x brainstorm
    4x force of will
    2x spell Pierce
    2x counterspell

Planeswalkers
    3x Jace, the mind sculptor

Socery
    2x ponder
    2x council's judgement
    1x supreme verdict

Enchantment
    1x Back to basics

Artifact
    1x umezawa's jitte
    1x batterskull

Lands
    4x flood strand
    4x polluted delta
    4x tundra
    2x plains
    4x island
    2x arid mesa
    1x wasteland
    1x karakas

Sb
    1x nahiri, the lithomancer
    1x disenchant
    1x flusterstorm
    1x back to basics
    2x meddling mage
    2x containment priest
    3x rest in peace
    1x humility
    1x supreme verdict
    1x blue elemental blast
    1x gisela, the broken blade
    Last edited by MagnusFisch; 04-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Jan 2017
    Baltimore MD

Been playing the Japanese Tasigur version online minus EE and waistland because I'm poor. Having such a blast with it.
    Tasigur is amazing. My miracles match up I feel is highly favored. Surprisingly I'm my match record vs Ant/TES is 6-1
    Burn seems to be pretty rough. But I'm about even against them dobto some luck. Have lost to elves yet. Even beat lands lands a few times haven't lost that match. I'd say bug in general has been worst match ups. Though I did have an answer to everything food chains throw at me.

Played one sit and go and beat storm.

Soon as I can finish the deck with better cards gonna give leagues a try. Missing 2 surgical extraction, EE, couple wastelands, Rest In Peace, flusterstorm.

It really is a seems like a good deck. Especially since I'm missing cards and still pulling good wins.

Thread Information