Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Buyers/Traders Remorse Thread

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

The Buyers/Traders Remorse Thread

Anyone who uses Ebay has buyers remorse at some point and anyone who plays Magic has those trades they wish they could take back. This is the opposite of the "3x Raise, the Price of Cardboard" thread. Those deals you wish you hadn't made. Yes, we've had similar threads in the past, but here we go again.

I traded an Italian Chains of Mephistophiles for a Morphling about 6 years ago.

Back in 1997-98ish I bought a Vesuvian Doppleganger for $13...
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Re: The Buyers/Traders Remorse Thread

I traded a set of Force of Wills for a set of Birds of Paradise back in 2005 (for Regionals, so many months before they got reprinted in Ravnica). Was still a lopsided trade then, but at least Birds were like $15 apiece IIRC, so it was only off $3-5 per card. I was only thirteen, what can I say.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Traded away a set of Blinding Angels (when they were at their peak) for 12 foil Mountains.

And, of course, the obligatory "I traded away my Tarmogoyfs when they were still cheap" line. Traded mine for 4 Xantid Swarms.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

I traded away an FTV Sol Ring for an Elpseth Tirel and some stuff, I added in some other FTV stuff for something or other.

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

First I sold my foil Gushes for a 2 dollar profit each and the next day it was unrestricted jumping the price a lot.

Secondly, as a noob I had 3 Goblin Piledrivers with two of them being foil, and I hated the card. I traded away the 3 Piledrivers for a revised Bad Moon and a Torment Sengir Vampire
    Check out my Articles

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I bought Jaces on eBay on June 15th for their peak value. They were shipped June 21st...

/wallet.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I bought Jaces on eBay on June 15th for their peak value. They were shipped June 21st...

/wallet.
    Meh, give it 6 months.

Sweep the leg!

I sold 40 revised duals to a store for $3 each before 4th edition.

I also sold many other duals for a fraction of what they are now.
    I sold an unlimited and alpha time vault before the errata that made it as good as it is now.
    Sold a tabernacle for a fraction of what it costs now.
    etc.

Hindsight is 20/20 but try not to dwell on the past. I don't like this thread.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I sold 40 revised duals to a store for $3 each before 4th edition.

I also sold many other duals for a fraction of what they are now.
    I sold an unlimited and alpha time vault before the errata that made it as good as it is now.
    Sold a tabernacle for a fraction of what it costs now.
    etc.

Hindsight is 20/20 but try not to dwell on the past. I don't like this thread.
    Yeah we all have those but that's not what this thread is about. I mean I sold out my collection in 06-07 and all the feedback is still up on ebay. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. Seems like I only remember the one's I wish I could take back...

4x Savannah ~Revised~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047644321) US $58.33
    4x UNDERGROUND SEA ~DUAL LAND~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047198048) US $113.50
    4x UNDERGROUND SEA ~DUAL LAND~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047207083) US $104.00
    Moat (Italian Legends) +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085504257) US $32.99
    Moat (Italian Legends) +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085506833) US $25.56
    Moat (Italian Legends) +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085507750) US $32.99
    4x Wasteland +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085510907) US $28.00
    4x Vedalken Shackles +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085523414) US $3.25
    4x Sword of Fire and Ice -NM MTG *DBH* (#220099766529) US $26.00
    but then I look at some of those auctions and it kind of makes me feel better...
    4x Orim's Chant MTG *DBH* (#220099788116) US $73.50
    4x Platinum Angel +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220085524414) US $35.60
    4x Meddling Mage ~Planeshift~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047210038) US $51.00
    4x PITHING NEEDLE ~Betrayers~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047640653) US $71.00
    4x Duress ~Urza's Saga~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047631158) US $10.50
    4x TEXTLESS MANA LEAK ~PROMO~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047236353) US $40.00
    4x Savannah Lions ~Revised/8th~ +FREE BONUS FOIL *DBH* (#220047237134) US $16.50
    4x Exalted Angel MTG *DBH* (#220099788572) US $38.00
    On a related note I just got 4x Orim's Chant in the mail 2 days ago. Costed me about $34 shipped.

Sweep the leg!

Nov 2009

Around 2001-2002 I traded an alpha time vault for a revised taiga. At the time the time vault was not nearly worth anything as it is today. This thing was mint though. I had to twist his arm almost to do the deal as he didn't even want the vault. About 2 years ago, we talked about that deal and he didn't even remember it or even having the card.

I also remember trading a playset of birds of paradise for like 1 balduvian hordes when alliances came out
    Anyone who eats hot dogs with their mouth is doing it wrong, as far as I’m concerned.

Drinks to much coke
    Aug 2010
    London Ontario

This could be a long sad list but the most memorable one for me was back in 95 when a 10 year old me got talked into trading a jet and a sapphire for an artifact circle of protection. Man if I came across that guy today Id punch him hard.

Last year (before the high tide change) I traded a candelabra for 500 bulk rares. I dont feel so bad about that one but the guy I traded with was a bit of a pain in that he tried his best to make sure most of the rares were from 4&5th edition then called to tell me how I should have been more careful and specified gold set symbol and not just rare. Needless to say I haven't really traded much with him since.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

When Futuresight first came out, I sold the only Goyf I've opened from a pack for $5. I have yet to crack a Goyf from a pack since (it got me all the pieces I need for Dredge though).
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I recall trading a Grim Tutor for some slivers back in the day. It wasn't legal at the time anyway, so I guess it wasn't a terrible trade then.
    Just makes you sad looking back.

This is a sad thread.
    Hill Giant means business.

Traded a playset of foil Ports for a playset of foil Exalted Angels when angel was still T2 legal. A "good" trade then, not so hot these days. :( ... :)

I sold a jace tms on ebay right when it first came out for $28.

I also sold a few duals right before they really jumped, but it wasn't too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

My Karakas for his two Stoneforge Mystics. This was when Stoneforge Mystics were about $7 each and Karakas was a pre-jump $11. I was really hesitant, since I had a feeling Karakas was about to jump what with Reanimator on the rise and Eldrazi about to be good in Legacy.

I might have felt worse about it if I didn't still have 5 Karakas.

My favorite trade of all time:

My foil Traumatize for his Pernicious Deed, Vindicate, Necropotence, City of Brass, Llanowar Wastes, and Caves of Koilos. There might have been more involved on his end. This was right after Odyssey came out and Traumatize was hyped as shit. He valued a foil one at like $35 and got in a bidding war with someone else for it.

I'll bet he has traders remorse if he still plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I sold off a playset of Dark Confidants for $5 apiece when Ravnica rotated. Also sold off Wastelands for like $10 apiece at the time.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Nov 2006
    London

My playset of RV Taigas for a foil Weatherseed Treefolk.

Luckily I was able to buy the Taigas back not long after for around $15 each.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Paid $6 for foil Leonin Arbiter thinking he'll be the nuts in Vintage/Legacy. Apparently Survival didn't stick long enough when he was printed to make an impact.

Traded a Jace TMS ($50 at that time) for 2 Elspeth Tiriel ($25 at the time) thinking she has some potential in Legacy (Landstill) and at least hold some value in Standard. Seems like the foil Tezz 2.0's I bought at $60 a piece may become a bad investment as well if Standard isn't going to use him much. Well I'm not really investing, but as an eternal player, you want to feel smart about making non-stupid decisions, that's what I mean by investing :P

Bought a foil Entomb from Slinga for $8. Traded it at $20 value to a friend, next week, Entomb was unbanned in Reanimator. Go figure.

Speaking of which, how much are Korean Wastelands these days? I paid $60, $70 for 2 of them, $90 for the other two (this is when SCG is ramping up Wasteland prices). If they're above $90, I probably won't feel too bad :P
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Aug 2010
    kingston,ontario

Sold 2 fbb underground seas like a year and a half ago for 350 fastest buy it now I ever had gone within 2 minutes. I didn't know they jumped to 250 + each overnight. I bought them for 150 a few months before that. And there were nOne on eBay at that time.

Thread Information