Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Buyers/Traders Remorse Thread

Aug 2010
    kingston,ontario

Re: The Buyers/Traders Remorse Thread

I left the game in nemisis, came back for eventide pre release. Only cards I kept were 4 birds of paradise, a black deck with icy's and assassins , and all my unc and commons. They were in my garage for about three years and passed between me and my younger brother for 6 years deciding who will keep the big box. Luck for me it ended up with me, because I forgot I collected fow because I like the picture. I had 40 in my box I sold the playsets for 100. That's how I got back into magic but that's not the remorse. The remorse I had is I was at the pre release for eventide in Syracuse, ny. The Promo was figure of destiny. I really liked it, anyways I had a binder with some new stuff and some old stuff including my birds of Paradise. He seen them and he was excited he took special attention tO my discolored bop I picked up for 5 bucks. I liked it because it was different it had 1994 on the bottOm and different colour. Long story short I traded away 3 revised bop and one mm summer birds of paradise for 4 promo figure of destiny, sorry for long post. Never seen the guy again.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My worse trade ever, 4 Force of wills (30 ea at the time) 4 fnm brainstorms (10 each at the time) for 4 Mutavaults and 4 bitterblossoms. Damnit! That's why I will never ever play standard. Fnm brainstorm are like 35 each now. Luckily I only sold my fnms because I upgraded to MM foil (got them @ 25 each) so I don't feel as bad.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by jamied1981 View Post
    I left the game in nemisis, came back for eventide pre release. Only cards I kept were 4 birds of paradise, a black deck with icy's and assassins , and all my unc and commons. They were in my garage for about three years and passed between me and my younger brother for 6 years deciding who will keep the big box. Luck for me it ended up with me, because I forgot I collected fow because I like the picture. I had 40 in my box I sold the playsets for 100. That's how I got back into magic but that's not the remorse. The remorse I had is I was at the pre release for eventide in Syracuse, ny. The Promo was figure of destiny. I really liked it, anyways I had a binder with some new stuff and some old stuff including my birds of Paradise. He seen them and he was excited he took special attention tO my discolored bop I picked up for 5 bucks. I liked it because it was different it had 1994 on the bottOm and different colour. Long story short I traded away 3 revised bop and one mm summer birds of paradise for 4 promo figure of destiny, sorry for long post. Never seen the guy again.
    Wow I just looked up the price on summer birds. I can't blame you though, I never even knew that these cards existed. Apparently ABU Games has a fair number of these cards now.

I failed to ship my SHA foil Elspeth, Knight-Errant when it was the hottest card in standard. Still have it. At least it's pretty.

When M11 was new, I traded a Wooded Foothills+$15 for a Primeval Titan+Fauna Shaman.

Those are my biggest recent regrets, not counting stuff like "didn't buy infinite copies of <card that took off>".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

This thread makes me think of poker bad beat stories haha.

Anyway, back in the days of Ice Age, I traded 2 dual lands for 1 Jester's Cap. Jester's cap was the bomb back then and was worth about $30. Dual lands averaged $10 - $15. I even bought this hard plastic card case with a screw to keep my Jester's Cap. I still have it to this day.

Oh well.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

last year, I sold away my playset of Wasteland for 55 euros in need of money. Now they're 140-150 euro. Yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

back in 1999 when i was a little kid i sold 250 rares/expensive uncommons to a store for 140€

all 10 german fbb duals in mint condition
    6 revised duals
    1 mirror universe italian
    1 moat italian
    1 chaos orb
    1 bazaar of baghdad
    1 mishras workshop
    4 mishras factories, all 4 seasons

and the other 225 cards...a lot from german fbb, and many valueable rares back in the days but cant remember what else was in the lot. worst deal ever for me. today they would have brought me at least 2000€

i dont wanna think about it right now, i dont like the thread aswell^^

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Bought 4 wastelands for 50c each in 2003. Sold them a year or two later for 25€ and considered myself lucky.

Also, had 2 foil deltas, foil wooded foothils and another foil fetch (think mire or something) and probably traded it away for nothing.

Good trade I got was some shit for 4 ravagers then traded those for 4 force of wills a week later. A month later banhammer rocked affinity. <3
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

I know, big time Necro, but man, some of these stories really get to me.

I know we all have these kinds of regrets, I think. My big one was back in 2008ish, I had been out of the game for a long time, and had a collection of cards from when I was a kid. Not much valuable, but I took the "big cards" ( 3 NM Force of Will that I cracked from packs, 1 NM Lions Eye Diamond, and some Revised rares like Demonic Tutor and the like) to the local store, and just took their first offer and walked out, not thinking that I'd ever want to play this game ever again. I think he paid me something like $30-40 for all of that.

Now I know the prices weren't as high back then, but the shame of it was that I got *back* into the game only a year or so later, and ever since that time I have regretted just getting rid of my very own cards that I cracked for so little. I could re-buy a playset of Force of Will very easily, but there's just something special about NM ones from your childhood that sat in a binder in your closet since you cracked them from booster packs as a little kid.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Well, since it's been Necro'd, here goes.

Sold out of the game in early 2011, but prior to that I had a full New Horizons deck and some other stuff, and I was working on some German pimp stuff. Made at least $3-4k off of everything when it's said and done, but my collection would be at least $10k now. I was just browsing German stuff on eBay last night and saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Foil-Germ.../161771098950?

I think I got $80 for my single one 4 years ago? The playset's been up for a bit and relisted, but an individual foil German Lorwyn Thoughtseize sold on auction for $311. Almost 4x for one card.

Further back, in 2005/2006, freshman year of college where I didn't have a job, I sold some of my pricier cards (but not everything). The one I remember most clearly was my free DCI foil Wasteland I got from Player Rewards. I think I got $40-50 for it then? I just wish I still had it when I started playing serious Legacy 5 years ago.

Mar 2007
    RI

I traded my then 2nd set of FoWs when Extended rotated (2002) at $10 a piece ish.

I remember selling a playset of Entombs on eBay when they were banned in Legacy at like $10/set; I rebought them at something like $80/set a few years later.

That said I've held 40 duals/fetches, wastes and Fows all of which I got for less than $40/card (most less than $20/card) so I'm definitely still ahead on the cardboard crack game.
    TPDMC

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I had some credit from SCG last December, and I pretty much had every Legacy staple I could possibly use. phazonmutant suggested I get into Vintage, but the prospect of getting a single piece of Power that I couldn't play with wasn't that enticing. So I decided to build Birthing Pod in Modern instead.

I get to play one tournament with it before the deck gets banned and I buylist my Modern cards. I end up paying out my ass for Vintage cards, which have increased even more in price by the time I decide to buy in. But I guess I'm undefeated in games lifetime with my stupid Pod deck.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Traded a JtMS for a revised Underground Sea back when Jace was standard legal. The trade was slightly in my favor money wise, but the guy was desperate for the Jace for some big standard tournament, and had offered the Sea when I was reluctant to trade away the Jace. It was my first and only dual at the time. The Sea sat in my binder for a while since you can't really do much with only one dual. Eventually, I came across a guy who had equal value worth of trades I was interested in. I traded the Sea on the spot.

Fast forward to today, and Underground Sea is worth roughly 3x what it was at the time. I still have all of the crap I traded for, which is nowhere even close in terms of "value" due to reprints and the fact that a lot of the "value" in the stuff I wanted was based on standard demand. I didn't even play standard at the time (still don't, but whatever), so I don't know what I was thinking. I'd really kill to have that Sea in my EDH deck, too.

Site Contributor

Jan 2015
    Seattle

Lets see, I played standard and extended from Invasion through Champions of Kamigawa, when I got married, had a kid, and moved to rural Idaho where there was no magic scene... sold all my collection... all the Onslaught fetches, all the mirrodin artifacts and swords, force of wills... but the one that kills me to this day was when I first started and was still buying tournament packs, I ripped a foil polluted delta. I didn't really understand the power of card and my none of my kitchen table buds played fetches. So I traded it to a game store for like some Blistering Firecats.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

In fairness, Blistering Firecat was a fucking champ.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I traded a beat up Tundra for a NM foil Frost Titan at the peak of the titan's value.

I sold a Mint Beta Black Lotus for 2200 euro at GP Amsterdam 2011.

Site Contributor

Jan 2015
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    In fairness, Blistering Firecat was a fucking champ.
    Thanks that made me laugh like you can't believe. luv'd me some Firecat!!!

Dark Blood Moon to Exploration when prices were about equal couple of years ago.
    Playset of Show and Tells to some idiotic crap that got reprinted too.
    These came to mind first.

And of course all those buys from some new set when you think some card will rise in price. :D
    There have been some horror ones. 4x miracle time walk for 60 or something. I dont even remember the name..

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I once traded a Misty Rainforest and a Scalding Tarn for a Vraska the Unseen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Thread Information