Thread: Temple Games Legacy - 7/17

Temple Games Legacy - 7/17

The Legacy crowd showed up in small numbers, but large spirit today. The popularity of EDH along with the lack of a major tournament in the area seems to have softened the Legacy turnout since the GP in Providence. Decks in attendance included two Merfolk, a Dead Guy Ale, Esper Stone Forge, RDW, Napalm Smoke, Elves and, of course Goblins.

Round one was a match against Goblins – a deck similar to that which went undefeated into day two of the Providence GP. I was on the play for game one, and had a solid opening with a turn one Goblin Guide and turn two Lavamancer, bolting my opponent’s Lackey along the way. Goblins stuck a turn two vial, but never developed a board as I quickly burnt him down to nothing. Game two, my opponent took some momentum as he wasted my Badlands, the only two lands I had in my opening hand. My lone Chaos Warp turned his Eather Vial into a mountain, shutting down a big part of his critter generation. I had blockers to hold off the Lackey and finished him off with the classic Bolt/Fireblast combo.

Round two pitted me against the agro elves – a sad fate since I had stripped out my anti-green guy Volcanic Fallouts. Game one I open with a lone Lavamancer to answer my opponent’s Quirion Ranger. Turn two my opponent dumps his hand plus some on the board, and I scoop to game two. Tactical burn prevented the elves from setting up on game two, which was no contest as I roasted them without even taking a fetch-land hit. Game three was much closer, as I managed to hammer my opponent to one life. I never saw my Relics, so Vengevine came out in force, and pulled me down to eight life. All that was required was a top deck of any of 18 burn spells to strip out that last little bit of damage. Alas, Red failed me and my next burn spell was three draws down. I go to 1-1.

Around the room, and Esper Stone Forge build faced off against RDW sporting a freshly traded altered art Koth – who received much praise when he hit the board. In game two, a pair of Bobs were drawing heavily, but bringing the pain. Esper keeps tight control of the board, and RDW never gets the chance to set up. A fully leveled Figure of Destiny makes a desperate bit to stabilize, but he’s quickly Swords’d and Esper takes the win. Game three saw an early Bob push his was past a Brainstorm, and start the draws right away. Turn three Blightning hits hard, stripping away an Ancestral Visions and a Wasteland. Two Figures land shortly after and start leveling, fairly negating the Bitterblossom fairies. Big Jace had died a turn earlier to a Lightning Bolt, and a second one Bounces one of the kitkin, but RDW replays the kithkin along with a Grim Lavamancer, and Esper Stones never manages to stabilize.

Round three washed in a pile of fish, as I was paired against Merfolk. Game one saw me go off a slow start which wasn’t helped any by having a Badland wasted away. Kira squashed what ability I would have had to roast the fish, if I had drawn any business – which I didn’t. A heavy board of two Pyroblast, two Red Elemental Blast and four Smash to Smithereens gave me a better chance in game two, which was still a close shave and was won on the back of teasing counter with a Lava Spike, pushing thorough a Chain Lightning and cleaning up with a pair of Fireblasts. Game three was close as well, with me turning a REB and Pyroblast into 4 damage off Mental Missteps. With two Fireblasts in hand, I took my worthy opponent to ten life, hammering in with a Bob and two Hellspark Elementals, but couldn’t pull out the win as a Bob had burnt me with a Fireblast and pushed my opponent through to a solid win.
    Goblins, Elves, Fish and a big tankard of Dead Guy Ale made the top 4 cut.

In the first round of playoffs, Goblins faced off against Merfolk. The blue guys had little defense against the red-spitting vial, which negated much of fish’s counter and standstill. Goblins hammered in for a solid win. Elves faced off against Dead Guy Ale, and the anti-control deck was a poor match for green agro. Chipping away at one or two guys just was ineffective, as the elves had plenty of draw and mana production to recover from all the Dead Guy’s sneaky tricks.

The final match was a classic – Elves Vs Goblins! Bizarrely, goblins set up a powerful board presence with Lackey and Warrant Instigator dropping two Siege Gang commanders and a Matron on the board – but failed to swing against a single Vengevine and Elvish Visionary. A missplayed Gempalm Incinerator left Vengie standing, and Elves respond with a wave of Vengvines, and immediately swing the board advantage back their way. It was painful to watch. Game one to Elves. Goblins never even had a chance in Game 2, as the Elves flooded the board on turn four and locked up a completely dominant board state. Goblins were missing any mass removal from the side board, and Elves went on to an easy win.

Congratulations to Krysitan and Dan II for taking first and second respectively.
    Last edited by Browncoat67; 07-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Thread Information