Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar decks, Summer 2011 Edition

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Under the Radar decks, Summer 2011 Edition

Okay, so with the last SCG event we saw some serious under the radar action come in with Manaless Dredge, Blue Zoo, GBw Depths, and Burn in the top 16. I've been saying Burn has been a dark horse for a while now as it's finally a valid deck again with strong game against Control and Tribal decks that define the format right now.

What decks are Under the Radar right now in your opinion? Strong contenders that no one is playing or running the gauntlet against that have the potential to top 16 a large event like Legacy Nats or some SCG Open.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Re: Under the Radar decks, Summer 2011 Edition

Tropical Island -> Nacatl is under the radar, imo. Caleb's build is very good, and you should test against it, but there are numerous other builds that can be sucessful. Daze and Force aren't in "that" deck, but they could be, and they're more likely to be played into if they expect the Jace list.

Noble Hierarch/GSZ enabling Jace in a BigZoo shell, is seriously brilliant. I'm jealous I didn't think of it before.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

I'd say right now Dragon Stompy is under the radar. They have 8 Moon effect MD that can easily be dropped on the first turn and completely bury a deck that isn't able to fetch out a basic in time. I see a lot of lists that I don't like but I think the right one is out there somewhere and absolutely no one seems to be playing the deck right now.

Sweep the leg!

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Aluren isn't seeing as much play as I think it should. Laregly Misstep proof, plays Therapy+FoW and for the low cost of 2k can be yours! I don't play the deck(have the cards), so not sure if it is good in the current meta, but I think the format being slowed would only help it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    I'd say right now Dragon Stompy is under the radar. They have 8 Moon effect MD that can easily be dropped on the first turn and completely bury a deck that isn't able to fetch out a basic in time. I see a lot of lists that I don't like but I think the right one is out there somewhere and absolutely no one seems to be playing the deck right now.
    Dragon Stompy is always under the radar... People just fear playing with it because it still has the same inconstance issues as it has 3 years ago. Also It is full of bad creatures. No creature is a really fat beater or anything similar to the other creatures in the format. The 8 Moons & 4 Chalice / Trini [and maybe Revoker] is all this deck has. That's the reason no one plays it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Dragon stompy is really really under the radar. With people stretching it by skipping forces/playing less than 4, and hymns instead of thoughtseize, decks like these get destroyed by a moon effect. Misstep has replaced daze in many lists, making landing the t1 moon all that easier. Dragon stompy has crappy dudes. That has always been the problem. I'm currently playing a 6 equipment (3 jitte's and 3 sobm) + utility weenies version. Once red starts getting efficient beefcakes, we can start looking back at dragon stompy.

For now, it is just not powerful enough to warrant the inconsistencies.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Playing NO rug undefeated until round 4 where I faced against some deck that I can only assume would be called MONO RED PAINTER. first game he goes first and plays great furnace -> top, i misstep and assume its a painter deck, i play a trop and green sun for 0 to get dryad arbor, next turn he plays a mountain and plays grindstone and passes, next turn i fetch a volcanic and pass the turn. On his draw I clique and see 3x magus of the moon, jaya balard, mountain..yea i lost that game. g2 he gets painter combo and wins.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Also, if Dragon Stompy fails to resolve a turn 1 Moon effect, its win percentages drastically fall. Any deck with Show and Tell in it just needs ONE island to ruin you. And that's just one deck or more precisely, one subset of a metagame that can beat you. And +1 to ivanpei's last sentence.

Is this the I-call-my-favorite-deck-under-the-radar-to-make-myself-feel-better-even-though-it-is-actually-not-good thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Is this the I-call-my-favorite-deck-under-the-radar-to-make-myself-feel-better-even-though-it-is-actually-not-good thread?
    So true. I mean, how can you call DS an ''under the radar deck'' ?

edit: unless by ''under the radar'' you mean: correctly ignored by the meta.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    No, I don't play DS. I did play Burn at the last SCG because I thought it was a good call, not because it's my deck or because I can't afford to play anything else (I can pretty much afford to play everything else). I went 6-3 losing to 2 UW Stoneforge decks (one of which ended with him @ 1 life on game 3) and a Lands player who obviously got extremely lucky (first turn Zuran Orb, Exploration, Mox Diamond, Life from the Loam, which dredged into his Glacial Chasm game 1, Game 2 I start out with a 3x Price of Progress hand and he once again manages to drop a turn 1 Orb and turn 3 Chasm and I never found a Relic which would have won me the game at multiple points).

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Tropical Island -> Nacatl is under the radar, imo. Caleb's build is very good, and you should test against it, but there are numerous other builds that can be sucessful. Daze and Force aren't in "that" deck, but they could be, and they're more likely to be played into if they expect the Jace list.

Noble Hierarch/GSZ enabling Jace in a BigZoo shell, is seriously brilliant. I'm jealous I didn't think of it before.
    Caleb's deck is nothing new.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I think in general, Chalice decks are under the radar.

Also, is CounterTop that horrible now because of Mental Misstep? It's not that they can't run their own set.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

CounterTop took a big hit with the printing of Green Sun's Zenith. The printing of Mox Opal and the unbanning of Grim Monolith didn't help either. Mental Misstep and Batterskull were two more problems the deck didn't want to see.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

The deck I'm currently playing is under the radar, but if I told you what it was then it wouldn't be anymore.

I really like Aggro Loam because it is the best deck that dodges MM and doesn't have to do any distorting. It has a solid game plan against aggro decks and tons of CA against dedicated control decks. Plus being RBG gives it a ton of excellent SB options. I'd seriously consider looking into it.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    I really like Aggro Loam because it is the best deck that dodges MM and doesn't have to do any distorting. It has a solid game plan against aggro decks and tons of CA against dedicated control decks. Plus being RBG gives it a ton of excellent SB options. I'd seriously consider looking into it.
    But you wouldn't say a deck that just recently won a high profile tournament is flying "under the radar", would you?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    Playing NO rug undefeated until round 4 where I faced against some deck that I can only assume would be called MONO RED PAINTER. first game he goes first and plays great furnace -> top, i misstep and assume its a painter deck, i play a trop and green sun for 0 to get dryad arbor, next turn he plays a mountain and plays grindstone and passes, next turn i fetch a volcanic and pass the turn. On his draw I clique and see 3x magus of the moon, jaya balard, mountain..yea i lost that game. g2 he gets painter combo and wins.
    You probably mean Imperial Painter. It might be underplayed, because of the price for imperial recruiter...

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    But you wouldn't say a deck that just recently won a high profile tournament is flying "under the radar", would you?
    It is underplayed anyway. Problem is that you don't learn how to play AggroLoam in a week... probably very few players play it because is a bit difficult to pilot properly ?
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

What a letdown. I thought this was a link to an actual article rather than a cheerleader convention.

Ooh, and anything that plays aggro and discard should be good right now, but not for long. Blue is somehow losing its footing.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information